Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
dheaton

Friends: (0)
Default Motor Question

So I have the motor installed and I switched the connectors so they match but when I hook up the 3 leads to the motor and plug in the battery I hear a loud beep and the motor does not come on. I tried putting the leads every way I could but with same results. From the photo you can see there is a red, yellow and black lead coming from the motor but the ESC only has 3 black leads so I am not sure how to hook them up. I tried as many different variations I could think of. Any thoughts on what could be the problem. I included the photo of the RX and battery that I am using as well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connetors.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	165336

Name:	RX.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	165337

Name:	Battery.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	165338
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
dheaton

I have to say that if it wasn't for all the help you all have been giving me I would have put this plane back in the closet already. Thanks all.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

First take the propeller off.

Second the STiger ESC's (and Great Planes Electrifly) require that you ARM them by going from idle then advance to full (it will beep) then back to idle.

Then it should arm.

Give it a try - with the propeller OFF to start.

Mike
Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

You can hook the three leads up in any combination and the motor should spin. But, the wrong combo will make it spin in the wrong direction. That won't hurt the motor, but airplanes don't fly backwards so well.

1. Is your receiver bound to you transmitter?
2. What lead is going to the "batt" terminal on the receiver?

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

In your picture it looks like you have your ESC going into channel 8. That needs to go into channel 3 to work the throttle.
rcers nailed it on the head with that ESC it has to be armed before it will work I have one and I wish all ESC's came with that feature.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
dheaton

Thank you rcers. I have never done this before and that did the trick. The prop was off but I did not advance the throttle. Now it turns. The motor is turning counter clock wise while looking at it from the front. Is that right?

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
First take the propeller off.

Second the STiger ESC's (and Great Planes Electrifly) require that you ARM them by going from idle then advance to full (it will beep) then back to idle.

Then it should arm.

Give it a try - with the propeller OFF to start.

Mike
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
dheaton

I am using an old Hitec radio that I had sitting around so it doesnt' bind. I have the lead from the ESC going to the RX channel 8 where it says batt. Is that not correct? It works the throttle there.

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
You can hook the three leads up in any combination and the motor should spin. But, the wrong combo will make it spin in the wrong direction. That won't hurt the motor, but airplanes don't fly backwards so well.

1. Is your receiver bound to you transmitter?
2. What lead is going to the "batt" terminal on the receiver?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
dheaton

You are right the ESC is going to channel 8 on the RX where it is marked Bat. It is working there but I will try it on Ch 3 and see what it does there.

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
In your picture it looks like you have your ESC going into channel 8. That needs to go into channel 3 to work the throttle.
rcers nailed it on the head with that ESC it has to be armed before it will work I have one and I wish all ESC's came with that feature.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
dheaton

Channel 3 is where I have the elevator plugged in so that won't work. The rx is an 8 channel rx but my radio is only a 4 ch. however the motor does spin when hooked to ch 8 bat. Stupid question but which way is the motor supposed to spin? Mine is spinning counter clock wise while looking at the front of the plane.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #10
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by dheaton View Post
Channel 3 is where I have the elevator plugged in so that won't work. The rx is an 8 channel rx but my radio is only a 4 ch. however the motor does spin when hooked to ch 8 bat. Stupid question but which way is the motor supposed to spin? Mine is spinning counter clock wise while looking at the front of the plane.
CCW is correct for tractor propellers (likely what you have).
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Just have to ask a question because I have never used a Hitec RX. Do you have throttle control from channel 8 from stop to full throttle? Be a lesson for me on this one.
Prop should be spinning counter clockwise just switch any 2 wires from the ESC and motor doesn't matter which 2.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

Yes, if your looking at the front then counter clock wise is correct. Usually we look from the rear of the plane as in 'pilots point of view'. When looking from in back of the wing to the nose the prop would spin clock wise. The radio should be setup with Ailerons on 1, elevator on 2, motor speed on 3 and rudder on 4. Typical 4 channel setup. The other channels are useful for thing like retracts, flaps, bomb bay doors, gyros and the like.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

BTW, what model airplane are you putting together?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by starcad View Post
Yes, if your looking at the front then counter clock wise is correct. Usually we look from the rear of the plane as in 'pilots point of view'. When looking from in back of the wing to the nose the prop would spin clock wise.
Actually the "old" timers and glow fliers think from the front as that is where we sat to start the engines. So I always think about the direction from the front looking at the prop.

Mike
Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #15
dheaton

Yes it goes from Full Throttle to stop on ch 8

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Just have to ask a question because I have never used a Hitec RX. Do you have throttle control from channel 8 from stop to full throttle? Be a lesson for me on this one.
Prop should be spinning counter clockwise just switch any 2 wires from the ESC and motor doesn't matter which 2.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #16
dheaton

Ok, this confuses me then. I have the Rudder in ch1, elevator in 3 and ESC in ch 8. I do not have ailerons on this plane and I wanted the rudder to be on the right joystick. Does that make sense? The elevator does not work in any other spot. When I move the elevator to ch 2 and the ESC to ch 3 I do get full throttle but it works with the elevator at the same time. So when I give it more throttle I also get down elevator. So is there something I am not seeing here? What is wrong?
The rudder only works in ch1 or ch 4.

Yes, if your looking at the front then counter clock wise is correct. Usually we look from the rear of the plane as in 'pilots point of view'. When looking from in back of the wing to the nose the prop would spin clock wise. The radio should be setup with Ailerons on 1, elevator on 2, motor speed on 3 and rudder on 4. Typical 4 channel setup. The other channels are useful for thing like retracts, flaps, bomb bay doors, gyros and the like.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #17
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

Humm! I started flying real airplane at 14, models around 5. Our neighbor was an airline pilot for American Airlines and would take my brother and I out to McCarran Field and let us sit in the cockpit, hence pilot point of view from an early age.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #18
dheaton

This is a very old kit called the Scout. I included some photos so you could see the dementions and such. I also added a photo of the old hitec radio I am using with this plane. I own a Spektrum DX6i but I had this RX sitting around so I decided to use the hitec radio.

BTW, what model airplane are you putting together?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scout.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	165339

Name:	Info.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	165340

Name:	Radio.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	165341 Hitec Flash 4
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #19
dheaton

Hmmm that makes sense. I will use the pilots view from now on.

Humm! I started flying real airplane at 14, models around 5. Our neighbor was an airline pilot for American Airlines and would take my brother and I out to McCarran Field and let us sit in the cockpit, hence pilot point of view from an early age.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #20
dheaton

Wow, everyone must have went to bed huh? Well hopefully I can get the channel thing figured out tomorrow. Some day I will have a better grasp on all this then I can help someone else.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #21
BBCorvette18

As long as the function you want is happening with the stick movement you want it doesn't matter what "channel" the rx says it is imo. Throttle rudder and elevator in whatever combo you like Is all that matters
Old 01-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
dheaton

Yes I realize that but I was just wondering if it was supposed to be ch 1-4 why mine doesn't work that way. Maybe I did something wrong or there is something going on with my TX or RX. Who knows.

Originally Posted by BBCorvette18 View Post
As long as the function you want is happening with the stick movement you want it doesn't matter what "channel" the rx says it is imo. Throttle rudder and elevator in whatever combo you like Is all that matters
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #23
BBCorvette18

I've seen different slots equaling different "channels" in many RX's. I think its just an older system and the throttle rudder aileron ect might correlate differently then what people are used to. Theres nothing you can "do" to change what slot responds to which input from the TX without knowing you changed things around. as far as I know

For example I bought a corsair that came with a specktrum rx being I hadnt gotten my dx6I yet I put an Exceed RX from an old wrecked Heli in and the slots between the two RX were not even close to being the same as far as order is concerned.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

I would worry about it a bit because there's no way throttle should be on ch8 with a 4ch Hitec Tx and Rx. Hitec have always used the channel order Ailerons -1, Elevator -2, Throttle -3, Rudder -4.

If yours is doing something other than that it suggests the receiver is faulty or there's some very odd mixing set up in the transmitter (which shouldn't be possible with a Flash 4). Either way it really should be sorted out before you try to use it seriously.

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

I have to agree with Slipstick. Sounds like some sort of mixing going on as every transmitter and receiver I have ever used including my quad use the same order Ailerons -1, Elevator -2, Throttle -3, Rudder -4. Even if you were using mode one on the transmitter it would equate to the same the only difference would be the throttle and rudder on the right stick. BTW, nice plane. Built light and powered right it will be a blast to fly.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions