Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
LowThudd

Friends: (0)
Default Gws pico j3 cub

I decided to build a trainer and found a GWS Pico J3 cub for $33 shipped: http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...&id=490:gwsj3f

I believe that this will be a decent/cheap power settup running on 3s LiPos: http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html

What do you think?

I am also planning on getting the Turnagy 9X Tx/Rx, and doing the recomended mods eventually.

What paint will work on the GWS foam? I would like to do military colors, and have heard that rustoleum works. True?

I am still a little confused as to which glue works best with what foam. Suggestions?

Anything else I am forgetting(besides a prop, lol)?

TIA
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

The power system's fine. I have a high opinion of Dynam 12 and 18A ESCS, as they have 3A switching BECs that other smaller ESCs do not, as well as holding up in general. I wish they had a combo with the lighter 12A ESC also. It comes with a JST batt connector and 2mm bullet connectors for the motor connection, as well as bullet connectors for the motor connectors. The motor is comparable to a 300 class outrunner. The mount should be a GWS stick mount type, with the prop shaft just a few mm off center from where GWS locates the shaft, which should not be an issue. I have that motor in a 34" scratch built Chipmunk that is a bit sedate, but is also one of the quietest planes I have with a GWS 8040 HD prop on 3s. The servos are a bit heavier than needed, but the setup is inexpensive also, as buying 5gm servos costs more. GWS Pico servos have been a favorite, but for $12 each it gets a bit costly.

Testors paints cost a bit, but they generally do not eat foam. The flat colors would make a nice military Cub. I'm a bit cautious of using various sprays on foam, as some can actually sit there a few minutes and then start eating the foam. Always test it on scrap foam.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
LowThudd

Thanks Bill.

I ended up winning this auction on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121046970753...84.m1423.l2649

At that price I couldn't pass on it. Should be good. What type of mount will I need to run that?

I see alot of Tower Pro servos on eBay for cheap right now. Are they any good?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
Thanks Bill.

I ended up winning this auction on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121046970753...84.m1423.l2649

At that price I couldn't pass on it. Should be good. What type of mount will I need to run that?

I see alot of Tower Pro servos on eBay for cheap right now. Are they any good?
Hi, That motor will not work for your cub, it has way to much KVs 2750,
EMP M2226 KV2570 brushless Outrunner motor Red 80W + SkyWing 10A ESC 1A BEC

you need to use a motor thats about 1000 to 1200 kvs, you wont be able to use a very big prop with 2750 KVs, that motor is used for a fast wing with a small 4.5 x 4.5 to a 5x3, just remember High KVs Small prop, Low KVs Big prop. KV = Motor RPM per 1 volt. 1000KV = 1000 Motor Rpm per 1 volt, Hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

use Epoxy 5 min and 30 min.
testor foam safe Spray paints work great.

Motor from Heads up Rc.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-10%29/Detail

ESC
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-22-Amp/Detail

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
LowThudd

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi, That motor will not work for your cub, it has way to much KVs 2750,
EMP M2226 KV2570 brushless Outrunner motor Red 80W + SkyWing 10A ESC 1A BEC

you need to use a motor thats about 1000 to 1200 kvs, you wont be able to use a very big prop with 2750 KVs, that motor is used for a fast wing with a small 4.5 x 4.5 to a 5x3, just remember High KVs Small prop, Low KVs Big prop. KV = Motor RPM per 1 volt. 1000KV = 1000 Motor Rpm per 1 volt, Hope that helps, Chellie
Ahh, ok. Still, $10 for the ESC alone is not too bad. Maybe I will grab the 1200kv motor out of my Versa for this trainer.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
LowThudd

Well, I guess I jumped the gun on that combo because the seller recomended a 8x4 prop, just like GWS does. Apparently that info was incorrect.

How about this motor?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aeolian-...item1e75f40ff4
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
kidhickey

Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (1)

If you like military colors , I always use Rustolium, primers, you can get 3 different colors, red oxide, lt. and dark gray...........if you like olive drab, go with the Testers, good luck....... take your time lol
Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
LowThudd

Originally Posted by kidhickey View Post
If you like military colors , I always use Rustolium, primers, you can get 3 different colors, red oxide, lt. and dark gray...........if you like olive drab, go with the Testers, good luck....... take your time lol
This is what I was thinking of: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=124
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Well, I guess I jumped the gun on that combo because the seller recomended a 8x4 prop, just like GWS does. Apparently that info was incorrect.

That Motor will work fine, use at least a 25 AMP esc, the larger esc will stay cooler and last longer

Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

This is what I was thinking of: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=124
I dont think Rustoleum is foam safe, i could be wrong Testor spray paint the enamel spray paint is foam safe,

here is a EBay seller that sells testor foam safe paints

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...at=0&_from=R40

FE- Made of enamel and is flammable and toxic.
- Can be used for: models, ceramic, plastics, leather, stone, metal, styrofoam, crafts, wax,
glass, paper, figures, fabric, wood and touching up purposes.- Not suitable for polyethylene or vinyl.- Contains no lead or harmful CFCs.- Can is easily hand-held and paint does not exceed 80% VOC by weight.
ATURES

Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Ahh, ok. Still, $10 for the ESC alone is not too bad. Maybe I will grab the 1200kv motor out of my Versa for this trainer.
That 2750 KV motor will be great later on for a nice foamy jet, its difficult at first to Match a Plane to a motor, prop, lipo and esc, I Know, at first i was beating my brains out to try to figure this stuff out, like battery mah, c rating, balancing, chargers, kv, ubec, ubc, etc, I almost gave up on E Power and was ready to go back to nitro, but I am Stubborn, it took me almost a year to get comfortable with e power, and The members here have taught me a great deal about e power, so now its my turn to give back

http://www.nicohobbies.com/store/

Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
LowThudd

Well, I kinda lucked out. The seller of the motor/esc backed out of the deal. So no money wasted. So, I'll get a 1200KV motor and another ESC. One question. Is going over 25A a bad idea? Or is it just the weight that becomes a factor?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Disagree with Chellie, that's a 98g motor not suitable for such a small plane.
KV is OK, size is too big.

Recommendation - if you don't know what you are doing, don't buy RC parts off ebay. You'll end up screwing yourself.
Paint is HEAVY. Some paints are REALLY heavy and can mess up a small plane like that.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
LowThudd

So, for a 39" J3, what weight am I looking for? 43g or so like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170783076754...84.m1423.l2649

TIA
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Warned you about ebay.
Go to the Headsup site Chellie linked to and do some reading and shopping. He has some excellent advice and info on product, power, sizes, etc. You'll learn a lot.

fly
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
LowThudd

Thanks for the advice. I'll do some reading. This is a super low buck build. So paying twice as much as eBay prices for parts is out of the question. I am trying to get this done for @ $100 including the Turnigy 9x. True, I could buy a cheaper radio and save there. But I have done quite alot of reading on the 9x, and I like how adaptable it is.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

I don't get it. Check the prices.
China - cheap and wait 3-4 weeks. ,maybe more.
HURC, 50 cents more, $2 unlimited FAST shipping for all your stuff combined, SERVICE, INFORMATION, and you can ask him questions.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-16%29/Detail

All you have to do is make a few wrong decisions, or get some dead junk, and you've wiped out your saving, which is not hard to do at your stage.

fly
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

+1 on headsuprc.com

cr
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
+1 on headsuprc.com

cr
I've been getting orders halfway across the country in 2 days. Just got my stuff in the other day, for the American Gyro project here. They have 3 and 5gm servos that have been serving me well and are much better for a small foamie than the 9gm jobs. Weight adds up quick. Now if I can get them to carry Dynam 12 and 18A servos with switching BECs, it would be perfect.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
LowThudd

OK, did not see that motor. I'll take your advice. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #22
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
Disagree with Chellie, that's a 98g motor not suitable for such a small plane.
KV is OK, size is too big.

Recommendation - if you don't know what you are doing, don't buy RC parts off ebay. You'll end up screwing yourself.
Paint is HEAVY. Some paints are REALLY heavy and can mess up a small plane like that.
Hi I always use a motor that bigger than what is needed, reason being, is that just about all builds come out tail heavy, and i always use a motor that the next size bigger than what i need, so that i dont have to add any dead weight to get the cg with, i perfer the cg weight to be a useful heavier motor than having to add lead dead weight, just my 2 cents worth, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #23
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

The Pico Cub is a geared IPS designed plane. About the only issue going to lipo is that you may want to check the allowable battery thickness, if the plane has the original GWS battery door that they used back then and you plan to use it. A lipo in the 2s-800 range should almost certainly fit. Motor wise, the geared IPS setup is somewhere around 1.5oz, granted that the plane balanced without ballast. GWS was fairly good about placing the batteries near the cg, although some were a bit forward and depended on the heavier nicd/nimh for balance, thus needed lead or a slightly heavier motor to balance.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #24
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

it comes with a GWS 350C brush motor and Gear box Assy., Everyone Knows to Throw away the Gear box and Brush Motor and go with a Direct drive Brushless motor assy

Old 01-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #25
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

I hear you but it comes stock with an IPS motor:
Flying Weight - 210~270g (7.4~9.5 oz)
So a 98G motor would be almost half the plane weight depending on the build.

Stock Power System IPS-DX2BB-AXCS - WEIGHT : 29.92g (1.06oz)
Pretty big difference.
I agree, if he paints the whole thing it'll end up tail heavy, since most of the surface area is behind the CG, and need weight in the nose to compensate. I'm not sure 3x the stock weight will be warranted but it depends on his build skills and care. It's unfortunate when small light planes are built like tanks and fly like trucks.

fly

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft