Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #101
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery85
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
All four nacelle bodies are now wired in and mounted beneath the wing.
I've decided to mount the receiver and V Tail mixer in the lower fuselage fairing so that the tails from the aileron and ESC wiring can be plugged directly into them. That means that only the elevator and power leads will need to to fed from the body to the receiver and that will greatly reduce the plugging and unplugging needed for wing attachment and removal.
Just the battery covers to make and the cowls to install and the nacelles are finished. At last!!!!
Four motors is a good bit of work. Getting each one aligned properly can be a task, inserting custom shims into tiny nacelle openings, positioning them, retorquing and then rechecking, all to repeat the process again. You'll probably be ready for a single engine project as I am now, after a few of these multi-engine builds.

Working out the harnessing to minimize wing removal/installation effort is a good thing. I went through a good bit on the Comet with lighting system and all, to minimize the connections and get them in one place. I've seen how some have tied everything into a single block connector, which is a good option for some subjects with a number of harness connections. A block connector for multiple S-connectors, which also has maybe 6 pins for other custom connections such as lighting, would be nice. I'm sure there's something like that out there, but I don't see them advertised.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #102
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Working out the harnessing to minimize wing removal/installation effort is a good thing. I went through a good bit on the Comet with lighting system and all, to minimize the connections and get them in one place. I've seen how some have tied everything into a single block connector, which is a good option for some subjects with a number of harness connections. A block connector for multiple S-connectors, which also has maybe 6 pins for other custom connections such as lighting, would be nice. I'm sure there's something like that out there, but I don't see them advertised.

These from Hansen Hobbies Allow you to use the standard servo pins and slip them into the new housings. They also make a locking version but it requires special pins and sockets.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #103
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

I've decided to mount the receiver and V Tail mixer in the lower fuselage fairing so that the tails from the aileron and ESC wiring can be plugged directly into them. That means that only the elevator and power leads will need to to fed from the body to the receiver and that will greatly reduce the plugging and unplugging needed for wing attachment and removal.
Just the battery covers to make and the cowls to install and the nacelles are finished. At last!!!!
Coming along nicely. Multi's are extra work but its worth it.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #104
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post

Allow you to use the standard servo pins and slip them into the new housings. They also make a locking version but it requires special pins and sockets.
I've been using these connectors and pins for wing with ailerons and flap servo wiring on my giant scale models, as well as for balance cable connectors on my various A123 battery packs.

These connectors are of the locking type, but quick work with a very sharp exacto knife can remove the locking device if you don't want it. The pins are available both in regular and gold plated versions. This connector is also available in pin counts from two pins to over 20 pins.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64209

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #105
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

[QUOTE=riverrat;900875]

Looking GREAT.

A Master Foam Craftsman @ work!!

Regards
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy , You are very kind. In fact I think that I'm much more the student really, learning by my mistakes ( plenty of those) and with help from the posts of others with far more experience than myself on the flying forums.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #106
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Four motors is a good bit of work. Getting each one aligned properly can be a task, inserting custom shims into tiny nacelle openings, positioning them, retorquing and then rechecking, all to repeat the process again. You'll probably be ready for a single engine project as I am now, after a few of these multi-engine builds.

Don't I know it Bill.!! I do find the fact that the cowls are heat shrunk from clear plastic bottles really does help with the aligning process though as I can set things up and see exactly what is happening inside the cowl. This really helps during the flight testing process as well as the models are never finished and painted until they have flown successfully so I can see what is going on inside the cowl area at all times..

Connections, something to go wrong LOL. I've only go two to make now when setting up but I'm going to look at the multi connector ideas for future builds as I may not be able to so easily locate the receiver in the wing next time. ( I say "easily" but I haven't tried it yet)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #107
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Coming along nicely. Multi's are extra work but its worth it.
I'm really appreciating multies even with the extra work involved as they enable me to build a far larger model with small cheap motors and batteries.
They sound good and look good in the air as well don't they!!.
Thanks for the connector tip I'll have to see if anything remotely like it is available over here.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #108
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
I've been using these connectors and pins for wing with ailerons and flap servo wiring on my giant scale models, as well as for balance cable connectors on my various A123 battery packs.

These connectors are of the locking type, but quick work with a very sharp exacto knife can remove the locking device if you don't want it. The pins are available both in regular and gold plated versions. This connector is also available in pin counts from two pins to over 20 pins.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64209
Thanks for the info. One thing that immediately strikes me every time is how lucky you guys in The States are when it comes to the availability and cost of equipment. The position over here is very different. Thank goodness for international mail order!!
I'll have to look these up.!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #109
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Thanks for the info. One thing that immediately strikes me every time is how lucky you guys in The States are when it comes to the availability and cost of equipment. The position over here is very different. Thank goodness for international mail order!!
I'll have to look these up.!
Should not be a problem. Digikey is a VERY USA large company whose hard copy catalog is over 2500 Pages. Digikey ships all over the world. Take a look:
http://www.digikey.com/us/en/International/global.html

And:
http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-sea...ords=WM2540-ND

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #110
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Glad to hear it Michael ( the bit about the easy hand launch not the prop bite scars).
I still worry about pusher prop set ups myself which was one reason I built the Me 163 as a tractor prop design. The BV 215 looks threatening just sitting on the ground never mind the dicer spinning on the back of it.
In many ways, I can't see this model being significantly more difficult to hand launch than the Wellington and I think you are dead right when you point to the wing loading being the pivotal part of the whole plan.
I'm convinced that it'll fail, as I always am, as that way I get a nice surprise if it does go well.
So far, since I went all electric, only one of fifteen builds has given me real flight problems so I guess the law of averages is against me on this one.
Time will tell.
on my law of averages, 15 crash before one flies properly, but I get my inspiration from luft X-planes created by madmen I distinctly remember reading about a RAF test pilot who actually barrel rolled a Lancaster, but can't think of his name now. He died only a few years back, and there was a story about him in a magazine. Not sure whether it was loaded with bombs or not, but it would have been a sight. If the wings did not break off the real thing, I'm sure yours will be every bit as airworthy
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #111
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
on my law of averages, 15 crash before one flies properly, but I get my inspiration from luft X-planes created by madmen I distinctly remember reading about a RAF test pilot who actually barrel rolled a Lancaster, but can't think of his name now. He died only a few years back, and there was a story about him in a magazine. Not sure whether it was loaded with bombs or not, but it would have been a sight. If the wings did not break off the real thing, I'm sure yours will be every bit as airworthy
That would be the legendary Alex Henshaw, Spitfire test pilot, who is considered to have barrel rolled the Lanc and he lived to be 94 years old!!!!!
Hopefully a model one will be able to mimic his achievement with the full sized aircraft.
I love your comments about gaining "inspiration from madmen."
Just priceless and what better place to start from if you want to have amazing fun in this hobby.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #112
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The remaining battery hatch covers have been planked and three more cowls have been heat shrunk over the mould and trimmed to fit.
The out board power units have been located onto the mounting bars and aligned so that the cowls could then be adjusted to fit around them.
The cowls were then drilled and screwed to the mounting blocks on three points.
Just the two in board power units to fit now and then the rear of the top hatch sections can be blended into the main wing.
I'm going to add the chin radiators which are such a feature of the Lanc at the finishing stage of the build well after the maiden.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-18 001S.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	166355

Name:	2013-02-18 002S.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	581.4 KB
ID:	166356
Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #113
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Name:	2013-03-3 001s.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	166912

Name:	2013-03-3 002s.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	166914

At last it's ready to maiden. Those last few things to do seemed to take for ever and were not helped by a week of something very flu like!
With four 1300 3c lipos installed, one in each cowl, the model balances slightly rearward of the 25% wing cord balance point but well forward of the 33% position and I still have the receiver battery to place anywhere in the fuselage to fine balance the model.
The AUW with everything installed is 5lb 1oz which is heavier than the
4lb 14 oz I was hoping for to have the same wing loading as the Wellington.
Still I shouldn't be too upset as with four motors and batteries in the Lanc compared to only two in the Wimpy it was never just going to be a scale up so it wasn't really a fair comparison was it?
On the plus side the Wellington has a max of 2 x 200watts available for the 3lb 3oz AUW while the Lanc has 4 x 200 watts to drag its 5lb 1oz around.
Should be enough. Now if only it will stop raining.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #114
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Should be good flyer, lightly loaded with plenty of power. It should be capable of some very un-Lancaster like maneuvers!

Good luck on the maiden!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #115
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Club: Fraser Valley RC Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (4)

I eagerly await the maiden report, Barry, then you can get on with the RAF finish.

Pmullen, the Lanc was a surprisingly manouverable plane, for its size. According to a now deceased neighbor of mine, who flew them as an 18 year old from Canada, and wrote a wonderful book about his service over there, they could perform evasive moves the US pilots told him would have torn B17s apart.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #116
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Should be good flyer, lightly loaded with plenty of power. It should be capable of some very un-Lancaster like maneuvers!

Good luck on the maiden!
Thanks Pat???

It had to be light to stand a chance of hand launching and it's been more work than I originally envisioned. At some points I thought it would never get to this stage because I'd move on to something else less demanding.
If the maiden goes well I'll be very happy indeed.

Barry
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #117
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by BradT View Post
I eagerly await the maiden report, Barry, then you can get on with the RAF finish.

Pmullen, the Lanc was a surprisingly manouverable plane, for its size. According to a now deceased neighbor of mine, who flew them as an 18 year old from Canada, and wrote a wonderful book about his service over there, they could perform evasive moves the US pilots told him would have torn B17s apart.
Hi Brad,

If the maiden goes well I can get to the best bit which is adding the glass work and the finish details. That's the bit I really enjoy and it's when a model really comes alive for me.
I well remember building an Airfix Lancaster model when I was around 10 years old and it'll be great to have a slightly larger example this time.

Barry
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #118
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)

Barry

Nice craftsmanship.

Good luck with the maiden!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #119
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

You will do very well on watts to wing area.

The Clipper took off water with 4...400 BRUSHED motors & nicads.72" 4 pounds.

A couple of 6" take offs & landings. do wonders Then a 12". The a 2'. Etc. by then the plane is proven.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf China Clipper # 2.pdf (479.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #120
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
Barry

Nice craftsmanship.

Good luck with the maiden!

Regards
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy, it's very rough at the moment. If the maiden goes well then it'll get some surface attention, a paint job and all the glass work which will be just more problem solving fun and games
The weather forecast for the next few days is hopeless with 20 + mph winds and rain. Not the best!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #121
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
You will do very well on watts to wing area.

The Clipper took off water with 4...400 BRUSHED motors & nicads.72" 4 pounds.

A couple of 6" take offs & landings. do wonders Then a 12". The a 2'. Etc. by then the plane is proven.
This EPS building material is giving me very good weight to wing area returns especially on models of 5ft span and above. It's such a very economical and easily obtained material to use as well.
The Clipper looks great on the bench. I keep looking at flying boats as a next build as I'd love to fly off water. Not sure that I'd go straight to a four engined ( Sunderland) first though as the Catalina keeps coming back as the first choice.
Too many choices!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #122
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

View Voyager2lcats's Gallery58
Club: Not Now- Maybe Never
Friends: (33)

Barry, the Lance is looking great! The fuselage shape is excellent- EPS is just great for shaping in my opinion. Wing tips also look good. I look forward to hearing how the initial flight goes. Interesting comments on the Lanc's maneuverability as compared to the B-17 as the '17 was reputed to be very maneuverable as well.

Bob

"Dum spiro spero." (While I breathe, I hope).
Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #123
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default nothing to worry about......

I'm just waiting for the video of the maiden, with you doing inverted touch and go's in the 20mph crosswindsShe will fly like an extension of your hand.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #124
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
Barry, the Lance is looking great! The fuselage shape is excellent- EPS is just great for shaping in my opinion. Wing tips also look good. I look forward to hearing how the initial flight goes. Interesting comments on the Lanc's maneuverability as compared to the B-17 as the '17 was reputed to be very maneuverable as well.

Bob
Thanks Bob. I have mixed feelings about EPS. On one hand it's so very cheap, light and easily obtainable and it cuts so very well with a hot wire. Sadly it is a nightmare to cut with anything but a razor sharp knife and to sand.
The differing densities of the beads makes finishing so difficult so that now I only sand once, apply spackle, sand lightly again and get the silk covering on.
This firms up the surface for another coat of spackle which can then be cut back to a reasonable finish.
( I used to spend days repeating the sand, spackle, sand process to still have the little harder beads pop up on the surface. )
Depron on the other hand is a gift of the gods. I can't find anything that I don't like about it as a building material. Except it's expensive and not so easy to get hold of, of course.
( Pizza trays are free though if you encourage all your friends and family to eat pizza and save the tray LOL)

Barry
Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #125
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
I'm just waiting for the video of the maiden, with you doing inverted touch and go's in the 20mph crosswindsShe will fly like an extension of your hand.
Michael, that's so funny ( really it is) Inverted touch and goes in a 20 mph crosswind are just my nightmare scenario for the maiden.
I can just imagine something very close to this happening if the aileron authority is not all that I hoped for.
(That's why I've added differential motor control as my fall back if the ailerons are less than useful.)
I once did just that when I stupidly changed the aileron servo in my P-51 and launched it without checking the the control orientation. Three very quick snap rolls ended up with it being the right way up just off the ground so I greased it in. Could so easily have been the other way up. I always check twice now before every throw.
( Won't make that mistake again!!)
Still if the weather is any good this week then I'm going to find out for real.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft