Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
LowThudd

Friends: (0)
Default New Turnigy 9xR?

New modle has come out(recently?). http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Module_.html

This is the first I have seen of it. Seems like a major upgrade over the standard 9x. Can anyone concur? I was planing on buying a 9x next month. Looks like I would be better off waiting for the 9xR to get in stock(only mode 1 is currently available)?

I am just learning the ins and outs of the 9x mods. Would either of these moduals work?: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8FR_II_RX.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html

Can someone make it simple for this newb and explain the two modules are different?

TIA
Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Early reviews are mixed at best.

Poor gymbals, missing solder, cheap switches, horrible trim switches, problems with modules fitting and connecting with pins etc. Many are selling theirs.

Big thread on RCG you may wish to read.

Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Friends: (6)

Its hard to say whether its better than the originel 9x because they havent made the modules yet for the 9xr although the modules you linked to will work with the 9xr (as well as other modules too). As it stands so far you can actually do more with the 9x as far as upgrades are concerned (telemetry, fpv). Its basically a 9x thats already been flashed with er9x firmware.

The difference between the 2 modules you linked is that the more exspensive one comes with a receiver that is telemetry ready. The other receiver cannot do telemetry.

Lots of info here too http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628785

Im taking what their giving cuz' Im slopeing for a living
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
LowThudd

Bummer. It looked promising. I guess I'll be better off getting the 9x, as it is known to actually work well for what it is. Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
LowThudd

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Its hard to say whether its better than the originel 9x because they havent made the modules yet for the 9xr although the modules you linked to will work with the 9xr (as well as other modules too). As it stands so far you can actually do more with the 9x as far as upgrades are concerned (telemetry, fpv). Its basically a 9x thats already been flashed with er9x firmware.

The difference between the 2 modules you linked is that the more exspensive one comes with a receiver that is telemetry ready. The other receiver cannot do telemetry.

Lots of info here too http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628785
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

The trouble with both the 9x and the 9XR is that they are both made by Flysky and both suffer from quality issues. Hey, they are 9ch radios for $50!

That said, both are capable of running er9x and open9x software which give you programming options as good or better than anything out there at any price. I have a 9x with er9x and love it.

The main advantage to the 9XR is that the programmer header is already installed. With the 9x you either have to solder in a programmer or buy the screw in board made by Smartieparts. Smartieparts also makes a board to put Frsky telemetry on the 9x screen (otherwise you must use Frsky's add on screen). It's possible that subsequent batches of the 9XR will address some of the problems of the first batch.

If Frsky telemetry is your primary interest, and you can wait for a few months, you may want to wait for Frsky's new radios. They won't be $50 but will take full advantage of all Frsky has to offer.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

I wouldnt say its a bummer. As it stands right now Id say they were even and if you dont like doing mods like installing a smartieparts board to the 9x then the 9xr already has that built in. And who knows what other features they will come out with for the 9xr

As far as the radio itself is concerned I dont see any difference in the working parts although im not an engineer in radios. A lot of knit-picking if you ask me

Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
LowThudd

I wouldnt say its a bummer. As it stands right now Id say they were even and if you dont like doing mods like installing a smartieparts board to the 9x then the 9xr already has that built in. And who knows what other features they will come out with for the 9xr

As far as the radio itself is concerned I dont see any difference in the working parts although im not an engineer in radios. A lot of knit-picking if you ask me
Yea, some of the posts in the RCG thread did seem hypercritical considering the price of the TX. However, I find it hard to justify wading through 250+ pages of opinions, just to get some clear pluses and minuses of the two TXs.

Perhaps I will go with the 9xR. Not all of the thread is negative. They only have the Mode 1s in stock, but I assume that the controls can be swapped just like the 9x.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #9
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

The 9xr doesn't have a programmer built in, just the header, you have to buy that separately. The biggest mechanical difference is the menu buttons which have been causing problems for some users, especially when cold. The case has much less room inside for mods as well. Apparently some of the wiring harnesses are too short and are interfering with the motion of the sticks.

Knit picking, maybe. But those are things they will hopefully sort out in the next batch of radios. Most users will not want to open their radios and tinker and in that case the 9XR is a good choice for an inexpensive yet capable radio.

It'll be interesting to see how well the internal antenna modules perform when they become available. Seems odd they would release the radio without at least one matching module.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
Yea, some of the posts in the RCG thread did seem hypercritical considering the price of the TX. However, I find it hard to justify wading through 250+ pages of opinions, just to get some clear pluses and minuses of the two TXs.

Perhaps I will go with the 9xR. Not all of the thread is negative. They only have the Mode 1s in stock, but I assume that the controls can be swapped just like the 9x.
Actually this is one of the mods that is very hard to do compared to the 9x.
Havent done it myself & dont know how to do it. Just reporting what they say on the other thread...

Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
LowThudd

Actually this is one of the mods that is very hard to do compared to the 9x.
Havent done it myself & dont know how to do it. Just reporting what they say on the other thread...
Sux that it is more difficult than the 9x. Doesn't look *too* bad though. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3373

A little soldering and a plastic pin isn't too much to deal with. I just got done flipping the HDMI and USB connectors on my Motorola Lapdock and car dock, since they flipped the connectors on the Moto Atrix 2 I just got. I hate it when manufacturers purposely make stuff not fit so you have to buy what they want you to. lol

It seems as though the main thing is swapping the wires. Prolly not too bad. But when I start looking at all the mods I'd have to make if I bought a 9x, then start making it work as the 9xR already does, the trouble and $$s start going up exponentially it seems.

As for the programer, HK has a $5 USB dongle that works fine for the 9xR. Easy.

Please correct me if I am missing something. I just read 30+ pages of stuffs at RCG, my head is spinning a bit. lol
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

http://www.helibatics.com/turnigy-9x-txrx.html
This one is up graded to ER9X. I have been flying one for about 6 mos. Love it, no problems. Have three of the 9x's. This one is much nicer. Fast service too.
Henry
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I guess I am different. To me the radio - your SINGLE most important purchase deserves to work properly. When it breaks I expect to have top notch service to fix it, test it, and care for it.

I have a DX6 - still works as good as the day I received it. Same with my DX7, Futaba 7C, Hitec A9. My DX18 is equally non problematic. I know if I ever have an issue a quick trip to service will resolve it (likely for free with Hitec/Spectrum) and returned to me.

When I see the posts like the trim buttons are wonky and if yours are not they will be. Cheap gymbals (that is super important!) and modules with intermittent connections I wonder what airplanes I would trust to them. NOT ONE.

Do you think HK will service that box? Nope...

Not my cup of tea at any price. To me this is $85 (the real cost with shipping) is $85 wasted bucks on a system I could have had with some QA and a support systems that stands behind the unit.

Just my $0.02

Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

I think if you pay 50 bucks for a radio you are getting what you pay for...

I agree with Mike. You just can't beat a good quality radio... THE single most important item in your RC inventory.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
LowThudd

Keeping in mind that my budget is $100 max(I don't have that much money to play with), what would your recomendation be? I cannot find any TX that even close to $100 has even half the features of the 9x/9xR.

I haven't read to many complaints about the 9x from people who own them, especially when outfitted with a superior module/RX. And after wading through 30+ pages on the 9xR, there are only a few instances where the purchaser was completely dissatisfied after trying the TX. At $50+$40 for a FrSky module/rx, this is a highly capable outfit for @$100. There is nothing that can compare to that in my budget.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Keeping in mind that my budget is $100 max(I don't have that much money to play with), what would your recomendation be? I cannot find any TX that even close to $100 has even half the features of the 9x/9xR.

I haven't read to many complaints about the 9x from people who own them, especially when outfitted with a superior module/RX. And after wading through 30+ pages on the 9xR, there are only a few instances where the purchaser was completely dissatisfied after trying the TX. At $50+$40 for a FrSky module/rx, this is a highly capable outfit for @$100. There is nothing that can compare to that in my budget.
If you could spend just a little more you could get a Dx6i without reciever for 160
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Used DX6i.

And you are not being fair. Shipping will be $35 so you are at $125 and for that you can get a used DX7.

Don't forget the radio is the MOST important purchase you make in the hobby. If you are serious - it is worth saving a bit longer.

Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
LowThudd

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
If you could spend just a little more you could get a Dx6i without reciever for 160

So, with reciever $200. And I will have something that is 6 channels instead of 8(9), and not nearly as upgradeable with open source SW. Not capable of upgrading to telemetry(not that I need it) etc.

I appreciate where you are coming from. But after spending a couple months reading up on the 9x, my choice will be either it or the 9xR. There are just as many people who love their 9x as those who love their Spek. Yes, the 9x does require some work to be up to high standards, but still a bargain.

Personally I don't mind modding stuff. That is all part of the fun. When I buy a car, I not only look at how it functions as is, but how it can be improved.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

At $50+$40 for a FrSky module/rx, this is a highly capable outfit for @$100. There is nothing that can compare to that in my budget.
Then you should get it.

You can always add a Frsky FLD-002 to see your telemetry and hear your alarms later. Sooner or later someone will figure out the telemetry hack for the 9XR to get telemetry on screen.

Don't forget to order the right programmer for the 9XR.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
Henry Sistrunk

Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 

When I see the posts like the trim buttons are wonky and if yours are not they will be.

Is this prediction based on your personal experience or some thing you have seen on this or other forums?
Henry
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
LowThudd

Compiled total:

Tx, FrSky Rx/Module, USB programming adapter, two sets of machined aluminum gimble sticks(short and long) + shipping= $128. Not bad! Wish I could order now. Will just have to wait until next month.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
Henry Sistrunk

Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 

Good choice. You won't be sorry.
Henry
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Henry Sistrunk View Post
When I see the posts like the trim buttons are wonky and if yours are not they will be.

Is this prediction based on your personal experience or some thing you have seen on this or other forums?
Henry
Read the full thread on RCG to get the first impressions from the gang who bought the first batch of radios. It is quite revealing. Make your own conclusions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628785

For me there is nothing there but trouble. The buttons have caused pretty good concern from most due to the type they used. I have not held the system or used it. I wanted to see what others thought - to me, it appears to be not ready for prime time.

Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #24
Henry Sistrunk

Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 

Here are mine, and I have around 30 receivers. 6 and 8 channel
Henry

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2040.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	165482
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2041.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	165483
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #25
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

The OP is talking about the new system - the 9XR not the 9X.

Mike

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros