Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
BigO

Friends: (0)
Default Now I need a airplane bad

I have been building Guillow's models for a few months and I have decided to move up to the big time and build one that will fly.

But first I should learn to fly. So I went to the airport ask around and hooked up with a oldboy and played with his airplane. Now I need a airplane bad

Ive been looking at stuff online and found a lot of airplans for beginners but I wanted to ask first

Thanks for any help
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
LowThudd

There is some great info and links in a thread that I started. Hope this will help you: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69110
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
BigO

Thats a little more than i want to pay for my first crash I started to buy

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...imer_ARF_.html

butt thay want $25 shipping so its not that great a deal and I can get a good radio second hand
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
BigO

what do you think of this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Sonic-...item2579e57533
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
LowThudd

Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Thats a little more than i want to pay for my first crash I started to buy

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...imer_ARF_.html

butt thay want $25 shipping so its not that great a deal and I can get a good radio second hand
That plane is a bare airframe. You will need to add servos, RX, battery, esc and wiring.

Did you look at the recomended links from others? Not what I was looking to
buy.

If you have a good TX/RX this is a great deal: http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy894...ellow-arf.html

The Champ is fairly cheap, and comes with a radio: http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4900....FaN_QgodalYAXQ
Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
LowThudd

It's a toy, and has horrible reviews on Amazon. Also very small.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

The HobbyZone Champ is a very good place to start. Very durable and actually flies great. I bought one for my grandson and I fly it far more than he does. A very good plane to learn on as well. At $89 complete it's a good deal. The quality is good and customer service even better. What is your budget amount? That will help us give you some options.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
BigO

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
The HobbyZone Champ is a very good place to start. Very durable and actually flies great. I bought one for my grandson and I fly it far more than he does. A very good plane to learn on as well. At $89 complete it's a good deal. The quality is good and customer service even better. What is your budget amount? That will help us give you some options.
Hay great I dident want to spend anymore than a hundred. any more than that and the wife takes it out of my beer budget.
Do you like the radio and can i use that radio with any airplane?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,167 Times in 2,075 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (313)

Here is the best of the best trainer to start with, it comes complete with the radio, it almost flies itself and is very crash worthy, its the RTF Easystar, get this plane and a simulator and you can teach yourself how to fly, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.parkflyers.com/Easy_Star_RTF_p/m13203.htm

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

The trick to flying rc, is to always add UP when Turning, Make big turns, and keep the plane infront of you, keep the speed up for control, and keep the plane out of the sun, Hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
BigO

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Here is the best of the best trainer to start with, it comes complete with the radio, it almost flies itself and is very crash worthy, its the RTF Easystar, get this plane and a simulator and you can teach yourself how to fly, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.parkflyers.com/Easy_Star_RTF_p/m13203.htm

thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #12
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

Hay great I dident want to spend anymore than a hundred. any more than that and the wife takes it out of my beer budget.
Do you like the radio and can i use that radio with any airplane?
The included radio is Spektrum compatible or also referred to as DSM2. It is also considered a "parkflyer" radio which means it is not a full range radio. It's good for a few hundred feet or so.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #13
LowThudd

The included radio is Spektrum compatible or also referred to as DSM2. It is also considered a "parkflyer" radio which means it is not a full range radio. It's good for a few hundred feet or so.
Sorry to get off topic, but my Versa comes with a DSM TX/RX. Is this also Spektrum? Is the DSM2 backwards compatible?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #14
BigO

Thanks I assumed all the 2.4 radios were all compatible.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #15
maxflyer

I don't see $100 total investment as very realistic, unless you find used gear or purchase the very cheapest of everything. Probably sooner rather than later, when you end up with a scrunched bird, this approach will leave you feeling like you've wasted a lot of money, and is likely to sour you on the hobby altogether. This photo, which I've posted elsewhere, is a scratchbuilt foamy built from Charles Pirkey's STC plan (got it from RC Groups). You can build this 3-channel plane for less than $100 (a lot less if you're using older FM gear), and when you destroy it, you will have some decent RC gear to use on your next build. If you can wield a razor blade and a tube of glue, and follow a dead-simple downloaded plan, you can build this bird (possibly with assistance from members of this board) in a few enjoyable hours, and by the time you finish you will likely have acquired a lot more knowledge than if you just bought a cheapo Chinese toy. You will most certainly have a very durable aircraft that is easy to repair, and a lot of fun to fly. In fact, it's so easy to fly, that if you were able to get a little stick time with your friend, you would probably be able to fly this easily without any help. If funds are really tight, I would look for an older FM radio and a couple of receivers. I still have my first transmitter, a Hitec Flash 5x computer radio. It is a terrific piece of equipment that could be picked up used these days for probably less than $50. If I were really strapped, I would still find it to be perfectly capable today. My point is, be patient, take things a step at a time, and invest in modest, but quality gear, that gives you a chance to find out if you really want to take this hobby further. It's still not really a cheap hobby, but it's waaay more affordable than it was even 10 yrs. ago.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #16
maxflyer

Default Let's try that image again

Hmmm,

Let's try that upload again:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pirkey_parkflyer.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	165701  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by maxflyer View Post
Hmmm,

Let's try that upload again:
I have been trying to find the build thread at RCG for the STC, I have some profile wings for a Ultimate bi Plane, but the fuse is way to short and makes the plane very close coupled and twichy, and i am makeing a Piper cub profile plane from the Bi Plane wings and tail Feathers.

Ok Found the Build For the STC

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=stc&page=291

http://www.ozonefoam.com/stcbg.pdf

Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #18
hoghead5150

Friends: (2)

http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/-Ares-Gamma-370-RTF/

one of the better trainers out there. a little over your budget, but worth the extra $30. fly this and when you think your ready you can either buy the upgrade parts or buy the pro version of the plane. the upgrade parts are a new wing with ailerons, brushless motor, and such.

good thing about this plane is that spare parts are easy to find. any hobbytownusa will carry them.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #19
LowThudd

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/-Ares-Gamma-370-RTF/

one of the better trainers out there. a little over your budget, but worth the extra $30. fly this and when you think your ready you can either buy the upgrade parts or buy the pro version of the plane. the upgrade parts are a new wing with ailerons, brushless motor, and such.

good thing about this plane is that spare parts are easy to find. any hobbytownusa will carry them.
Nice plane. Wish I had seen that earlier.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
Sorry to get off topic, but my Versa comes with a DSM TX/RX. Is this also Spektrum? Is the DSM2 backwards compatible?

Thud

Somewhere I have missed the report on the maiden
of your Versa?

Did it meet your expectations?

Regards
Jimmy
Old 01-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
LowThudd

Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
Thud

Somewhere I have missed the report on the maiden
of your Versa?

Did it meet your expectations?

Regards
Jimmy
Haven't taken it up yet. Planning on getting some instruction from my local club first, as they have club trainers. The first meeting is this tuesday, maybe I'll have a seasoned pilot maiden it for me.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
BigO

Originally Posted by maxflyer View Post
I don't see $100 total investment as very realistic, unless you find used gear or purchase the very cheapest of everything. Probably sooner rather than later, when you end up with a scrunched bird, this approach will leave you feeling like you've wasted a lot of money, and is likely to sour you on the hobby altogether. This photo, which I've posted elsewhere, is a scratchbuilt foamy built from Charles Pirkey's STC plan (got it from RC Groups). You can build this 3-channel plane for less than $100 (a lot less if you're using older FM gear), and when you destroy it, you will have some decent RC gear to use on your next build. If you can wield a razor blade and a tube of glue, and follow a dead-simple downloaded plan, you can build this bird (possibly with assistance from members of this board) in a few enjoyable hours, and by the time you finish you will likely have acquired a lot more knowledge than if you just bought a cheapo Chinese toy. You will most certainly have a very durable aircraft that is easy to repair, and a lot of fun to fly. In fact, it's so easy to fly, that if you were able to get a little stick time with your friend, you would probably be able to fly this easily without any help. If funds are really tight, I would look for an older FM radio and a couple of receivers. I still have my first transmitter, a Hitec Flash 5x computer radio. It is a terrific piece of equipment that could be picked up used these days for probably less than $50. If I were really strapped, I would still find it to be perfectly capable today. My point is, be patient, take things a step at a time, and invest in modest, but quality gear, that gives you a chance to find out if you really want to take this hobby further. It's still not really a cheap hobby, but it's waaay more affordable than it was even 10 yrs. ago.
That is what im looking for. something I can Build and reuse the parts after I crash it because I will crash it.
Im going to read some more about radios and such

thanks for the plans chillie
Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
Haven't taken it up yet. Planning on getting some instruction from my local club first, as they have club trainers. The first meeting is this tuesday, maybe I'll have a seasoned pilot maiden it for me.

Thudd

In my opinion, that's a smart move.
Share a video with us, if possible.

Jimmy
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #24
LowThudd

Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
Thudd

In my opinion, that's a smart move.
Share a video with us, if possible.

Jimmy

Just got finished building a GWS Pico J3 cub. I will most likely crash that before I pull out that 60mph seaplane. lol
Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #25
LowThudd

That is what im looking for. something I can Build and reuse the parts after I crash it because I will crash it.
Im going to read some more about radios and such

thanks for the plans chillie
These foam planes can be glued back together with a number of glues. I just read about a guy who crashed a C-130 made by GWS into 40 pieces and was able to glue it back together and fly it. I'm sure any of the foam trainers mentioned will be fine.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners