Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
SW5-Flier

Friends: (0)
Default Winter Flying?

Hello!

So, I'm a newbie to the forum, hi! I have two planes, a Champ and I just bought a Parkzone Ultra-Micro T-28 from my local hobby shop today, and there is about an inch of snow on the ground, so my question is, will the snow harm the electronics? (I will be doing belly landings without the landing gear)

Thanks a whole bunch!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

It shouldn't do any harm if you just blow out any snow that accumulates in the cowl after each flight.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Welcome to the forums! Not sure how you've gotten so many duplicate threads going, but I've deleted the other two and will leave this one in place as it already has a response.

And what JetPlaneFlyer said. Just blow the snow out when you land. If the electronics do get wet, then just set them up in a warm dry place to dry out. Should be just fine.

Pat Gagnon
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
SW5-Flier

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
It shouldn't do any harm if you just blow out any snow that accumulates in the cowl after each flight.
Thanks! Now, just one more question, what about condensation? It is very cold here right now.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
SW5-Flier

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Welcome to the forums! Not sure how you've gotten so many duplicate threads going, but I've deleted the other two and will leave this one in place as it already has a response.

And what JetPlaneFlyer said. Just blow the snow out when you land. If the electronics do get wet, then just set them up in a warm dry place to dry out. Should be just fine.
Sorry about the duplicate threads, I have no idea how that happened. Okay, I'm happy to hear that, I was getting impatient, since I just got the micro T-28.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

Expect less flight time than advertised in the cold. Batteries that reliably give me 10 minutes in the summer are only good for about 6 or 7 in the winter. This with them brought to the field in a cooler with a couple bottles of hot water to keep them warm.

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
whitecrest

Originally Posted by SW5-Flier View Post
Thanks! Now, just one more question, what about condensation? It is very cold here right now.
That shouldn't cause any problems either. The ESC should be fairly well protected in the fuselage, and freshwater condensation will not affect the motor. I'd dry everything out carefully after a wet session.

I've flown in misty and foggy conditions many times with the wing coming down dripping wet with no adverse affects.

~Tim
Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I've had a couple good nose ins in the snow and some crashes. Snow minimised the damage each time. We did get a received burned up from snow getting packed into it, but haven't had any other problems. When I do run into a snow bank and get the motor full of snow, I just blip the throttle until it all come out or melts.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Clean snow is fresh-water .... in fact near distilled, apart from a little carbon monoxide dissolved and possibly a few dust particles ftom the air. This means it's actually virtually non-conductive.

So as others have said - just blow out the snow .. dry it iout and you should be fine. I liove and fly in North Baltics .. -20C winters etc. with often a metre or so of snow. 'Excavating' models out of the snow after landing is common !

The tip about keeping LiPo's warm is good advice ... use an insulated picnic bag or similar with warm items in ... but make sure nothing is hot ! I find best temperature is warm to the hand, if you can hold it in hand comfortably - then it's ok.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #10
SW5-Flier

Wow, thanks guys. I couldn't have asked for better advice.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

We have a guy in our flying group that LOVES touch & go's on snow !!

Honest .... he has a flying wing that he repeatedly tries to slide touch & go on snow ... half the time it noses in and pitch-poles over. He picks it up ... dusts it off ... throws it back in the air to try again ! All the time laughing and smiling !!

All of us carry snow shovels in the car so we can clear areas to take off ... accepting that landing is most likely a nose over job as wheels dig in.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #12
SW5-Flier

Sounds fun. Unfortunately, I do not take off, nor do I have the room for it. I always hand launch. I fly in my local park, so I guess I don't have a choice.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
SW5-Flier

Gonna do my maiden flight right now! I'll tell you guys how it goes!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

2 pieces of advice-

- flight times are much better if you put the lipo in a little pouch, keep the wind off it and a little bit of insulation!
- you can almost eliminate the possibility of getting the guts wet if you keep the plane at ambient temps (when it's below freezing)

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #15
SW5-Flier

I ended up chickening out. My hands were going numb even with gloves on. Hopefully warmer weather will come and allow me to fly again.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

SW5 .... where are you ?

I fly in real cold temps ... down to -10C at times ... trick is hands out only when needed !! I have thin cotton gloves that are not for keeping hands warm, but to slow the getting cold. 5 - 6mins is enough and then land ... back in car and warm up again.
The hands and feet are the worst bits we have when it's cold ........ but as long as you have good body warmth and well lined footware - this helps combat it.

Nigel

Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #17
SW5-Flier

I live in Iowa, but it was 15 degrees and my body heat in my fingers and hands is horrid. I literally couldn't feel the control stick under my finger in abot 1 minute, not even enough time to do pre-flight control checks. I couldn't even feel the sticks under my fingers. I figured I would fly another day.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #18
Fig

Originally Posted by SW5-Flier View Post
I live in Iowa, but it was 15 degrees and my body heat in my fingers and hands is horrid. I literally couldn't feel the control stick under my finger in abot 1 minute, not even enough time to do pre-flight control checks. I couldn't even feel the sticks under my fingers. I figured I would fly another day.
Wise choice there. That has to be the hardest part of this hobby at times. Waiting out the weather.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions