Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
Firestem4
inexorably eccentric

Club: None :*(
Send a message via AIM to Firestem4 Send a message via MSN to Firestem4 Send a message via Yahoo to Firestem4
Friends: (12)
Default What is the biggest battery I can put in my slowstick?

Howdy. I have a slow stick I haven't flown in quite a while. It's a fun plane to use when I want to be lazy I'm just wondering with my setup, what is the biggest battery I can put in it? (This way I can order a larger mAh battery I can use in other setups too).

I have a run of the mill SS with a Turnigy c2830-1050 (1100Kv, 2-3s). I forget what prop I have..But i think it's a pretty standard one.. Maybe 9x5? I have used a 3s 1500mAh in it as my normal setup.

"Stay away from trees! Seriously-avoid them like an IRS audit." - Gzsfrk
Hangar: Slow Stick, GreatPlanes F-86 MicroEDF
Helipad: WL Toys v911
Boneyard: 3D Foamie (toolkit crushed it!)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

The SS is pretty versatile with batteries. I generally run a 3s 1200 and have run a 1500 3s on occasion. I run a 10X4.7 mostly. I have used a 2s 1800 but it's pretty sluggish hauling that much battery around.

With the 3s 1200 it will jump off the ground in less than 2'. Pretty neat airplane.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I run 1800-2200 3 cells every time I fly mine, as does my dad on his.

I have mine setup as a bipe, and have just upgraded the motor. This new motor makes my battery's sag some. I'm going to see how hard it will be to ballance it with 2 1800-2200 3 cells in parrellel. Remember though, this is a bipe, my top speed was less then 30mph, and I have over 1000sq of wing area. Haven't weighed the plane yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm under 30 oz. I actually want to add a bit of weight to aid in speed and flight times.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

You can run pretty large batteries. I've put 2200 on mine. It does end up flying faster due to weight. It's a bit more stable in wind but doesn't float nearly as well.
The wings are stressed a lot more if you start doing G-force maneuvers like loops and dives that takes a toll after awhile. Reinforcement ends up being almost a requirement.

Frankly, I'd stay with smaller. I mostly use 1000-1300 now.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
The wings are stressed a lot more if you start doing G-force maneuvers like loops and dives that takes a toll after awhile. Reinforcement ends up being almost a requirement.

Frankly, I'd stay with smaller. I mostly use 1000-1300 now.
Agreed--you can fold a wing pretty quickly if you start doing some loops and stuff with too large a battery. The SS doesn't fly very well with a folded wing!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Firestem4
inexorably eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Firestem4 Send a message via MSN to Firestem4 Send a message via Yahoo to Firestem4

I see. That's really what I was curious about, how it would affect the flight dynamics (snapping wings not a verry good one lol). The motor has plenty of power from what I remember, but I was hoping I could slap on a bigger battery for long flight times. I know it does well with a 1500. is 2000 significantly heavier than that? Although I guess I could just power it up into the air and cut the motor and float it around. That would give me decent flight times.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

My favorite battery with the stock brushless power system for about 10 minute flights is actually a 1000mah 3 cell. It gives you very good verticle, but shorter flight times. A 1300mah is better and a good match for the plane. This gives you about 15-20 mins of easy flying. A 1500-1800mah is what I like most for long flight times. This will flex the wing if you get crazy with loops, but seems to be acceptable. Lots of inverted and outside loops will bent the aluminium wing joiners in high g situatons. But if you just put around it will get you 30- even 45 minute flight times. I personally really like a 2200mah battery. I braced my wings several different ways to keep it from flexing, everything from adding bracing from a kite my 3 year old broke, to running a straight dowel. With a 2200mah battery, I have gotten a solid hour out of flying doing nice a low flying, as well as touch and goes. You can get away with stock landing gear if you land very carefully, but I recommend a string or wire acrossed the landing gear to keep it from flexing too much.

With a larger battery, it helps to move your servo's all the way against the tail to help with cg. With it setup like this, I can run a 1300-2200 with minimal trim settings on the front right behind the motor.

When I figure out my landing gear and aleroins, I plan on ordering some 3000mah or so 3 and 4 cells for my bipe. If you brace the wings, you can add almost as much weight as you want.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Here is a slow stick, basically stock, with a mystery 400 sized brushless, and a 1800mah 3 cell. Taking off and landing in a parkingspot in about 14 seconds. It is still a quite nimble plane with this setup.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Firestem4
inexorably eccentric

Looks fun! lol. Alright. Thanks for the input all. I'll probably get myself a few more batteries, 1500 and 1800 and some carbon fiber!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners