Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)
Default So I did something really stupid!

Was in a hurry to get out and fly before the sun went down so I put 2 big planes(Apprentice & T28) in the back of my truck and 2 small(Beast & Sbach) in the back seat. Normally I put the batteries in the planes but being in a hurry I didn't this time and when I got to my flying site the Apprentice was gone. With the battery in the weight keeps them weighed down but apparently it blew out. I drove back but found nothing. I'm sure it was picked up right away on the main road where I'm sure it came out. Lots of traffic.

I guess lesson learned. The good part is It was my learner/beater and had many repairs plus I have a brand new Apprentice waiting in the garage.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Lost a wicker love seat like that.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

That really sucks. Part of the reason I like my station wagon. If I had a truck, i'd have to have a shell for it.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)

Yeah, I think a cap is definately in order...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

I've almost done that before. I was going up to the high school one day early on in my RC days with my slow stick in the back of my old chevy C-10. Doing about 35 up the road when it started to fly on its own! Fortunately my son was watching and told me to slow down. It settled back down into the bed after smacking the back window of the truck!

Sorry you lost your plane, glad it was a beater!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

I lost a fiberglass tub shower unit that way ,i did not have it straped down tight enough for driving over 40 mph.lol It was broke in half when i got back to pick up the pieces. I told my boss to have them delivered next time and this wont happen. lmao joe
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Well, I was on the receiving end of a foosball table that wasn't tied down securely...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Well, I was on the receiving end of a foosball table that wasn't tied down securely...

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Fig

Friends: (0)

My son was helping us move houses and I was putting together a Wattage Cap-232. Wattage made two planes that they stocked at the LHS and the other was blue in color and this one was white. I preferred the white so I went with the Cap-232. Anyway, all I can surmise is that my son grabbed some of the plane parts and tossed it all in the back of his truck. Weeks later when I went to finish putting it all together I couldn't find the wings or the rudder. Had I purchased the blue plane I could have had a new pair of wings that week. As it was, it took me years to finally find a set of wings for that plane. Oddly enough it's sitting in my new shop right now waiting to be put together. The only rudder is actually on the beater that I had to purchase to get the wings. I will use it as a template and make a new one. And yes I still give the kid a hard time about it.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I stuck this wing into my ceiling fan about 6 months ago and it swiped my tip float clear off . How is that for a smoooth move . joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0209.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	165946
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

I hope folks think about the receiving end of that kind of accident. It may only be a foam plane but if it unexpectedly hit a windshield at freeway speeds it could cause a serious accident. There are plenty of badly injured people that could vouch for that. Because of those kind of incidents an unsecured load is considered illegal.....as well as stupid.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

DCDetector, sorry I got off the subject (Sort of!) in my earlier post. I'm sorry to hear you lost the plane, but I forgot to ask what should be the standard question: Was your contact info anywhere on it? Then maybe at least if an honest person found it, you may get it back. Which reminds me, I'm sure I've missed adding that on a few of my planes.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
DCDetector

No xmech2k I didn't have my personal info but you can bet I will from now on.

Fortunately, Dodge City is a small town of around 25,000 people there are no freeways. Speed limit at the highest is 35 MPH. I figured if someone had actually hit the plane I'd see a lot of Styrofoam laying around. I saw nothing to indicate it was hit.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Beaulieu Airfield UK ... an open ex Air Force base from WW2, apron area left for model flying. If there's any wind forecast that day - you can bet BA has it !!

Back in late 70's (traditional models and all that ....) mate of mine borrowed a trainer I had stuck away in the shed ... an old lightweight balsa only, 3ch 10 Glow powered job. I carried it in back of my hatchback car to that field along with my usual model hangar !

He picked it up out of back of my car and walked towards pit area over the wood rail. As he turned the wing slapped against him and full force of the 'gale' that day snapped wing in half !
I was going to ask him not to take it that day - seeing the wind !! But he got to it before I could stop him.

That trainer must have been 5 yrs old at least and never a scratch on it !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
Arkitexas
Lone Star Flyer

Friends: (0)

Reminds me of my first wife. She had been putting on a little weight so I made not-so-subtle remarks that she could lose a few. Well that turned into an obsession and she went to the other extreme. One afternoon when we were cleaning out the house she climbed into the back of the pickup because the passenger seat was full of stuff. When I got to the other house she was gone. Never knew if she jumped out on purpose or if the wind blew her away. My second wife has no fear of either. But then, she won't ride in the back of the truck.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Arkitexas View Post
Reminds me of my first wife. She had been putting on a little weight so I made not-so-subtle remarks that she could lose a few. Well that turned into an obsession and she went to the other extreme. One afternoon when we were cleaning out the house she climbed into the back of the pickup because the passenger seat was full of stuff. When I got to the other house she was gone. Never knew if she jumped out on purpose or if the wind blew her away. My second wife has no fear of either. But then, she won't ride in the back of the truck.
Lmao i wish mine would have went away so easy ,it cost me a limo company after two years of her laywer. All worked out in the end i got the house a children and they made her pay me child support.lol joe
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
Lmao i wish mine would have went away so easy ,it cost me a limo company after two years of her laywer. All worked out in the end i got the house a children and they made her pay me child support.lol joe
Don't start on Divorce ... took me 6yrs to clear just the legal stuff let alone the rest !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #18
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

And you had to move to Latvia!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
DCDetector

Luckily my X was really money hungry so I used it to my advantage. I offered her $12,000 cash to sign everything over to me and walk away and she took it. I got the house, truck and to keep my 401k. She's kicking herself in the butt now for not listening to her lawyer but a little late.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
And you had to move to Latvia!
Latvia / Russia was part of the CAUSE not a result of it !!

Truth was we were both in a marraige that tied us to 6 - 8 weeks only a year together. Rest was me away working. Finally I said to her that it would be better if we were 'single' again to regain our lives.
All was fine .. we agreed split of everything - basically we gave each item a value and offset against the house etc. I kept the car, boats, and she got the house and replacement small car ... I g'teed to pay my part of mortgage, kids costs etc. and anything they needed education wise etc. It was a good friendly signed agreement.
I kept % interest in the house ....( years later after all sorted and when she met someone - he bought out my % ... so all was fine.)

She was eligible for free legal representation - so we agreed that I didn't need any. Her young 'clever' female solicitor ignored my wife and told family Court that I could run anytime and the paper wasn't worth a dime ! My wife was furious ... the Court then demanded I have legal repr. to present my case ...

Even so - I kept my promise .. even today we still get along fine ... kids grown up and no bitterness or anything. She asks them how I am ... I ask them if she needs anything ...

I remarried - that was a surprise to all !

Anyway -

What's different between a Snake and a Solicitor in a Road accident ?

There's skid marks from braking before the Snake !

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions