Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Wisc-BK
Watch this........:-(

Friends: (2)
Default Be aware of Tactic Rx response to power loss on the Tx

Don't know if this belongs here or in power and/or Tx/Rx area.

My friend and I both have new ( only three weeks old ) UMX blue Playmates with the Tactic Rx and the Any Link Tx that attaches to the back of our Spectrum Tx's, he has a DX6i and I have a DX7. A couple weeks ago he landed his Playmate and had not gotten the throttle stick fully down/off and handed me the DX6i so I could take it up and check out his setting for rates etc. as he handed me the Tx either his hand or mine accidently loosened up one of the wires going from the Any Link to the Spectrum Tx, we didn't know this had happened at the time. As a result the plane went into a corner of the gym and the motor kept running and banging the prop into the walls, we could not turn it off even tho the Tx throttle stick was now fully off. As a result of this he stopped flying the Playmate for the day and after he got home, inspected the complete system to see if he could find a problem before flying again the next weekend.

So this weekend we went flying again at the gym, and since we are the only ones ever flying in the gym ( we live in a very small city/town ) we decided to try and figure out what happened. So holding the plane, we advanced the throttle stick a little bit just to get it running and then disconnected either one of the two wires from the Any Link to the DX6i, the Tactic Rx continued to let the motor run at the speed it was set to by the Tx's throttle even though the Playmates red bind light had gone out !! So we decided to remove both wires from the Any Link to the DX6i, same response, motor kept running. We tried the same by holding the elevator stick down and removing one of the wires and then both, same response, the elevator kept the same position it was set to before the Any Link lost power and/or signal output.

We tried the same tests with my Playmate and my DX7 Tx with my Any Link attached. Same results.

We now wonder if we were flying this Tx/Rx systems outside and got them too far away what would happen at lose of signal to the plane ?, our belief is that the plane would just keep on flying till it used up the battery power and the same settings it had when the signal was lost.

We are now curious as to whether one would get the same results on a Tactic system when you were using a complete standalone Tactic Tx and not the add-on Any Link to another Tx.

We are also curious if this happens to other Tactic Any Link add-ons to other transmitters than Spectrum.

If your curious, try it, and post the results here, just be sure to have your plane safely tied down, or someone else holding it during the tests. Remember, advance the throttle and kill the power and/or signal to the Any Link Tx device.

Bob

I thought I was high enough ...........
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Spectrum receivers are supposed to go into the bind mode when transmitter signal is off. I have tested this on the ground by turning off the transmitter.

But, if you loose signal, they appear to keep the last position aquired by the transmitter. I had this happen several times with my dx6I. I have finally seemed to have solved it by replacing the antenna, although I can't find any damage or anything wrong with the antenna I replaced.

I found it very stange that if you pull the batteries or turn off the transmitter, it going into the bound setting, but not when there is signal loss. You can replecate this on the ground by doing a range check with full deflection in the transmitter once you get out of range. The deflection will stay there, reguardless of the bound settings.

I know its not the same thing, but it may hint to your problem.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Wisc-BK
Watch this........:-(

Friends: (2)

Remember, this is a Spectrum Tx with a Any Link Tx attached to the back. You MUST have the host ( Spectrum, JR whatever ) turned off because you plug one wire from the Any Link into the trainer port and the other wire to the power/charging port, once you plug the wire into the trainer port the host Tx ( Spectrum ) turns on just like when you use it as a slave for master/slave training.

I just find it interesting and or disturbing that the Tactic Rx planes motor keeps running and/or any deflection put into the control surfaces stay as they were when either the power or trainer plug is removed on the host Tx., there is no failsafe or return to neutral, you basically get a runaway plane.

On Spectrum Rx's they will go to failsafe which hopefully you set as zero sticks when you bound it.

I thought I was high enough ...........
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Originally Posted by Wisc-BK View Post
Remember, this is a Spectrum Tx with a Tactic Tx attached to the back. You MUST have the host ( Spectrum, JR whatever ) turned off because you plug one wire from the Tactic into the trainer port and the other wire to the power/charging port, once you plug the wire into the trainer port the host Tx ( Spectrum ) turns on just like when you use it as a slave for master/slave training.

I just find it interesting and or disturbing that the Tactic Rx planes motor keeps running and/or any deflection put into the control surfaces stay as they were when either the power or trainer plug is removed on the host Tx., there is no failsafe or return to neutral, you basically get a runaway plane.

On Spectrum Rx's they will go to failsafe which hopefully you set as zero sticks when you bound it.
That's what I was pointing out...

As a range or signal loss, the control surfaces say in place, including throttle. I have only gotten it to go into "fail safe" when you loss power to the transmitter. A range loss condition does not do this, if its a spectrum or rip off receiver. It also happens if the receiver "locks" or crashes.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Spectrum receivers are supposed to go into the bind mode when transmitter signal is off.
Actually I am not aware of any 2.4GHz equipment that goes into "bind" mode upon signal loss.

Equipment varies dramatically on what happens on signal loss. Failsafe is one option but the transmitter/receiver have to support that and have to be programed. Most do this on the bind command. Some just hold the last position but it varies by equipment and manufacturer.

Many report the range of the Tactic systems to be somewhat limited - especially with the AnyLink - so I suspect you are right about the range issues.

Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
RonR214

Club: DEAF RC
Friends: (1)

I just checked the specs on the Any-Link module and they state 1000 feet. This is fine for the small indoors, mine module came with the DR-1 model. I question using the Xmtr module on some of the larger models that they are selling now. If I bought one of the larger models, I would pull the receiver out and put a Spektrum in so that I would not have to use the Xmtr module. Unfortunately, they are not selling these models in PNP format (Rcvr ready), only RTF and Xmtr Ready.

Ron

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes