Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Club: Fort Bend R/C
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (5)
Default B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly

You have asked why it took this long to audit and validate scale accuracy to the 1:1? Simply put, the USAF mandated destruction
of all drawings. In the end, what exists today is the result of independant refusal to obey orders...

While this project is not the precision scale model one might find over in IPMS (click logo), it follows FAI F4C protocol.
Attention to AUW is critical to success...while retaining 1:1 detail.

RESUMPTION OF PROCESS!

Sam and I will next hot wire the two long center sections and three elbow sections for both airframes plus the spares needed. We next
match-up the CAD revised cross sections on each end of these center portions of the airframe to those I developed in analog. CAD in
these areas is from raw data Richard & Mike acquired during their two archive sessions at NASM in DC and validated on each of Richard's
five audit excursions measuring 1:1 airframes.

Next, the front fuselage section CAD is compared to the analaog result. This along with same for rear cross sections become .dxf and .sat
image files used to correct kick-outs from my analog prelims. This may appear to be a repeat process from previous postings. It is not, it
illustrates the number of times you must audit the results of the project's progression. Along the way it may have appeared we took three
steps forward the four backwards.

Perhaps this is a good place to explain why scratch building can be frustrating when it is discovered there is an error in documentation and
collected data assumed to be "fact". Working with 1/100th size artist renderings that have had engineering mark-ups defining feature and
area dims will present what can in this process called accumulative error. In most modeling we tend to say OK, so what, its only a model...
in this case, I must immediately consider the consequence of "not" correcting the discovery.

This was the result of accumulatie errors or assumptive reasoning on our/my part. I know its difficult to accept the distruction orders for all
Boeing B-47 records as fact as we sit here downstream from the heat of the Cold War. My daughter can not imagine the thoughts we had
as we endured "Duck & Cover" and she is 36. WWII, then the Cold War are ancient history, today. When the best documentation you have
turns out to be a softbound "Russian" avaition publication...you quickly realize why the USAF ordered the destroy order.

Little surprise that we found the most accurate non-Boeing drawings were from Russian aviation publications. Most notably were
drawings supporting our YDB-47B-50-BW.

You may reflect on these images as having appeared before. While this is true, it is not a revisiting of these items but to affirm they were
definitive in composition to displace the other resources shared with you. Remember, we are in the final stages of this project and you will
"only" see our final pathway with dims which have been meaned from additional drawings or from real world tape measuring by Sam, Richard,
or Mike in their treks to gather the same.

I originally doubted we would find anything of merit other than validation of existing dim data. As it turned out after Richard and Mike went
to the NASM archive and reviewed the 100 rolls of microfische then returned with "frame" images...(frames are what Boeing calls its cross
sections/formers), we discovered scratches for some itches we previously could not account for.

Image courtesy of Richard Reynolds.

A quick example is the "flat" along the side of the B-47's fuselage. In highly reflected light environments you can sense there is something
along this region that is not round or oval. Because the drawings I have are all artist renderings, yes even the Boeing large format drawing
for the B-47E and B-47B, because they predate plotters and CAD, the cross sections did not account for the actual "merge" of fuselage's
two overlapped elypises comprising the forward portion of the airframe.

Note that this is a water line along the fuselage from nose to tail which crosses a high density shape change region where it takes on
the appearance of a "flat". Think of it in terms of the line getting flattened vertically to a width of approximately 12" on the 1:1. Flat
is clearly shown on Richard's cross section converions of Boeing "frame" drawings. This is the area between the two vertical elypises.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForeFuseFlatSml.jpg
Views:	2412
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	166325   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForeFuseFlatHeadon.jpg
Views:	2381
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	166333   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForeFuseFlatClose.jpg
Views:	2370
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	166335   Click image for larger version

Name:	GAM67.jpg
Views:	5914
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	166340  

Ed Clayman
"Flite-Metal For The Look Of The Real Thing"
Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Woooo Hooooo! The build is getting close!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Definitive CG Location

CG has been an issue since the B-47 project began. Boeing's 25% of MAC CG location appeared
on relately small drawings which left considerable margin for error. Only with a frame station index
illustration could one be assured of "the" proper CG at frame 623.70.

Note: These are measured general arrangement drawings, not engineered drawings. Boeing T.O.'s
(technical orders) are the source, found in erection, assembly, and maintenance publications. Due
to the small size of the source, dims should be considered only accurate reference.

Ed Clayman
Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default The Build...

Hi Don,

Build has been moving one step at a time in the back ground for the last three plus years. Last week my office overflowed and backed
up with B-47 items running along the wall, down the hall way in four 30 gal tubs. Each is full of electronics and mechanical assemblies
dedicated to the B-47 and a pair of A-10's we are building.

Ed Clayman
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Stickem Ordered

I ordered 3M Fastbond Contact Adhesive after confirming it did not gas off after initial cure. To minimize waste and a more consistant
application thickness it is rolled on with a foam roller in kind to latex paint or it can be sprayed. I opt for rolling it on to minimize excess.
This is more an exercise in how and not necessarily how much.

What is important is even application across the to-be-joined surfaces. It changes color when cured ready for joining. A tint within the
adhesive will show where you may have voids in coverage.

This is an organic adhesive and should not be permitted to freeze.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3M_FastbondAppplication.jpg
Views:	2314
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	166648  

Ed Clayman
Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Received notice my 3M Fastbond can be picked up at my UPS service center. Later I will video a lamination test and share
it here.

Ed Clayman
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal View Post
Hi Don,

I don't really know how to respond to your building beginning comment...

Build has been going on, one step at a time in the back ground for the last three years. Last week my office overflowed
and backed up with B-47 items running along the wall, down the hall way in four 30 gal tubs. Each is full of electronics
and mechanical assemblies.
Hi Ed; still watching and learning. I suspect what Don meant was the beginning of actual physical assembly, after the extensive, to say the least, planning and preparation. If I'm wrong, I'm sure Don will correct me. You may be pleased to know that I have foundationally started on a He 178 scratch build ( out of balsa though), and will probably take an enormous length of time to do. Bought a book, and a 1/72 plastic model to get me started. Still hunting down accurate plans/drawings/photo's etc. Back to your thread though......
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Don and Pattern14,

I didn't mean for my post to sound curt. Sorry if it was taken that way!! I made reference to the subsets of components and material
accumulating as this project has moved forward. I should have stated sub-components and materials accumulating in the background
present quite a pile that is a wee bit challenging to keep up with.

I constantly collecting:

Servos, controllers, radios, receivers, foam, wood, edfs, canopies, wheels, brakes, retracts, cockpits, pilot, copilot, bombardiar/navigator,
fiber glass, instrument-interior-external marker and landing lighting, ATO smoke generators, ECU's, contact adhesive, carbon fiber matte,
carbon fiber interlaced fiber glass, Kevlar, Pacer Zap laminating resin, two different size and type of parachutes, etc.

Next, I will draw the initial truss pattern and the two inserts for laser cutting while Richard finishes up his latest loftings. Richard's latest
trip to a 1:1 (Charlestown, SC) to audit dims yielded a phenomina reward. It confirmed the drawings Richard has lofted are within 1/16th
(or there abouts of being accurate to the 1:1. He insisted on creating a CAD file at the 1:1 to include internal and external features...
frame by frame nose to tail... Where did I put my gold star award? Ah, I left it over at Dave's......

There ! ! ! !

Ed Clayman
Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Important Spec Drawing

Important dims and aerodynamic CG data images.

Ed Clayman
Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #10
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Just when it appeared things on the radio front are stabilized...its been said Spektrum are parting ways
in its business relationship with JR. JR is said to have developed its own hybred frequency hopping protocol.

I spoke to Terry Nitsch this evening about this to be sure I was not going to find myself wandering in the SS wilderness. As it turns out,
calling Terry was the best thing I could have done. He set my mind at ease over the DSM2 two step frequency change issues causing a
lot of problems... not for me to define those, they appear to be well documented.

The JR and the Spektrum QQ radios are not manufactured in the same plant. JR's is assembled in JR facilities. Spektrum QQ's are made in
a Spektrum facility. Spektrum being wholely owned by Horizon Hobbies.

Anywho.... I'm a happy camper again since I will be utilizing the non-QQ version manufactured by JR.

Ed Clayman
Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Results

Ah yes, these cross sections are going to work just fine...

Ed Clayman
Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Clean Evolutionary Process

Thanks to the extra special efforts of Richard Reynolds and I believe his nephew who assisted in Richard's measurement treks to several
B-47s from Nebraska to South Carolina, we enjoy accurate fuselage wireframe. Literally, I believe after all of Richard's measurements he
was only off by 3/8ths of an inch or so over the full scale B-47...yes, I said the full size B-47.

The radar dome chin is a seperate component which when hinged on its front edge swings open to permit access to the navigators area
seen through the two side windows on both sides of the fuselage. This is known as a gegaw or eye candy to most, however it gives me
a forward maintenance path to the back side of the bombadiar/navigator's station inside the nose of the model.

I know its been a while since I showed the parting points for the model. They are within a frame or two of the 1:1 parting points shown
below. Click smaller image at bottom of this post to see an enlarged version of the image below. Warning: Though there is an airfoild on
the image below, it is NOT the accurate airfoil shape... ;^) This in case someone were to think it was....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1to1_Front_End.jpg
Views:	2166
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	167466   Click image for larger version

Name:	NearSideCrosSectionGuide.jpg
Views:	2656
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	168076  

Ed Clayman
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Turning Outside, Inside Out

The outboard nacelles were a concern because their pylons are much shorter and I thought narrower than the inboard nacelles because it
is extremely difficult to see in photos. I am using the plastic model for workup validation but can not use it in FAI. Thankfully the outboard
are much wider than the inboard pylons. This will permit attachment to the wing so outboard nacelles can be removed. I will illustrate the
retentive brass seat placement later.

The midline (waterline) was visible on the 72nd Hasagawa B-47 model when its side was held close to a fluorescent light. With the size of
our fuselage it is important to portray the virtual flat along the fuselage beltline. What I thought was a beltline was really the leading and
trailing points of a virtual flat section of fuselage between the two. I showed Richard’s fuselage flat side section in a 3D illustration he drew.
It is a white section on the front of the fuselage.

Static judges will see break in the reflected light from the fuselage so I combined Richard's with my cross sections to achieve best possible
presentation. This would be extremely difficult to replicate with hot wire. Using 3D CAD enables me to mill the details as they are vs. almost
like it is.

Richard Reynolds is doing a fabulous job translating his measurements of five different B-47's, into 3D CAD.
My cross sections originated
at too small a source to permit the flat sections to be seen. Because Richard's drawings are at 1:1 the midline is easily be accounted for.
I am taking a more dangerous pathway in providing visual evidence to a judge on my doc storyboard than leaving it to the "possibility" he
will discover/find it on his own.

Following traditional documentation routines the judge will not find much in the way of explicit evidence of the flat along the fuselage side.
I simply fear my bright, reflective natural aluminum surface will withess the existance of the flat and must manage this probability. I believe
I am better off accounting for the break in reflection continuity instead of not resolving the issue in the judge's mind.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Outb Nacelle 02.jpg
Views:	2137
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	167831   Click image for larger version

Name:	TopDwnLargeLine.jpg
Views:	1938
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	167845   Click image for larger version

Name:	ObliqueBaselineCAD.jpg
Views:	1927
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	167846   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForeFuseFlat.jpg
Views:	1930
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	167892  

Ed Clayman
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Fitting It All In The Outside Nacelle & Pylon.

Now to stuff it all in...

Max Volts: 22.2v - 6s, RPM/V: 1750 (38,850), Motor Size: 3553,
Max Amps: 63a, Max Power: 1500watt, Shaft diameter: 5.0mm,
Blades: 6, EDF Size: 90mm, Weight: 317g (11oz.), Thrust: 98.77oz.,
Connectors: 4mm Bullet Plug

Outboard EDF dims:

1. Total width outside mounting tang to mounting tang: 4.625"
2. Shroud length front to rear: 2.625"
3. Length of mounting tang front to rear: 1.375"
4. Plastic mounting tang thickness: .125"
5. Bellmouth face of EDF: 4.000"

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TopSideLineVU2.jpg
Views:	1897
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	167904   Click image for larger version

Name:	OutBrdDim.jpg
Views:	1903
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	167905  

Ed Clayman
Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default And You Wondered What We Have Been Doing... :)

Argon3D Modeling

I need to take a moment and share another goal of this project evolving over the last three plus years. I mentioned this
occassionally in context to task management to render solid geometry from analog (printed 2D images)... Ya Say What ?

Let us look at modern scale modeling. If you are happy with building what someone else thought you should fly, that's OK.
However, for everyone who likes the ARF concept but wants more variety in the type of airplanes modeled... Read on.

Imagine finding a decent 3 or more view line drawing of an airplane you would really like to build but you don't have tools
beyond the traditional tool box or in some cases, flight box. You may own a scroll saw, band saw, drill press, and various
hand tools commonly found at home...* Therefore you feel like you can not scratch build what you would like to fly. What
if you had The Tool you needed already? What if it were less than 3 feet from your eyes...right now?

Interested?

I wonder how many people left this web site and chased each other to Aslar - Vellum's web site tracking down Argon?
This, before I explained what I have found and how it will permit everyone to do exactly what I stated above. (period).

What it takes to build whatever....regardless of its method of power, at a desired size...exists! .
All of you have read and heard this stated before, but it always attached a conditional circumstance to enable you to do
it. This process is as simple and easy as it can get with the least amount of prior experience and knowledge to achieve.
No BS folks...it works.

Ed Clayman
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Argon3D Modeling

"Imagine finding a decent 3 or more view line drawing of an airplane you would really like to build..." How often have you
had that thought? Everytime you open a model magazine, visit a 3 view web site, go to a friend's house and see plan of
something you like but plan is for a 60" w/s model, not the size you really want to build.

The line art drawing below is a detailed dims drawing. While the aircraft outline is less than attractive or accurate, it is a
valuable tool in this process. You will need a more detailed line drawing showing surface elements to construct the model
along with a plastic model of the aircraft if one exists.

This would be considered an appropriate 3 or more view drawing for this process: It was contained in the Russian aviation
softbound book....This Russian publication contained the most accurate drawings outside of Boeing's... Every version of
the Boeing B-47 is drawnwith this detail. The text is cyrillic which can be translated using Google...

The first drawing was a dimensional drawing listing the length, width, height/thickness and relational angles of all airframe
components. I have the enlarged version of this drawing available within this thread.

Gee, what goes where? Drawings like the one below answers those questions as they portray each former/station/frame
component of the 1:1 to permit you to "assemble" everything, after you create each via CNC Milling, manual hot wiring,
CNC Printing, prior to bringing each together to form the flyable model.

Overlaying a screen snap shot are the cross sections I drew for the B-47E and B using Microsoft Image Compose a standard
graphics editor for MS Office. Each section was copy pasted from a B-47 line drawing. Each has three datum lines to enable
alignment in concentric and side views to assure positions are aligned one to another vertically and horizonally. Boeing master
station drawing is placed "beneath" all this to be absolutely sure where each cross section sits between nose and tail end.

Vertical lines represent parting points of fuselage sections. This with exception of two "elbow" sections at and aft of rear landing
gear's down position. Elbow permits central fuselage cylinder to oval cross sections transition of the rear fuselage. Breakdown to
accommodate transport and maintenance is built into the multiple component fuselage facade. None of this is flight load bearing!!!

If any of this seems to not make sense to you and need it explained, you should read the two previous threads to understand how
busy the use of CAD is. Traditionally everything has to be redrawn in CAD before CAD can be utilized to a modeler's advantage. To
catch up with what the above means. It is explained in detail within those threads. I am providing back-fill as new elements come
to us.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PartingPntCompJ.jpg
Views:	2116
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	168496  

Ed Clayman
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Argon3D Modeling

I hear you saying..."I keep seeing Argon in the heading of these newly posted elements...why?"

To achieve our project its completion has "required" input from multiple online, onsite, soft and hard bound, film, microfische,
hard and virtual viewable resources from archives and image repositories, worldwide. Much of this contributed by individuals
volunteering their time, real $ resource, and skills to bring something forward in the hope that it "might" come in handy.

These are B-47 Pilots, copilots, flight and maintenance crew members who walked the walk with Boeing's B-47 Stratojet...
historians, archivists, museum directors, each group baby sitting a surviving B-47 or partial of the same. Control line and RC
modelers have provided input as well as plansets from model kits designed in the early 50's and sold as wood assembly kits.

In reality, as I see each on its inbound path and takes its place within index of resources, I am amazed to see each falls into
its appointed place the closer we get to completion. As is the case in many r/c models are engineered by assumption focused
on r/c component placement. As Sam and I worked through the control surface component placement we found ourselves at
virtually the same wing and fuselage locations for control movement of the 1:1's flight controls.

You have seen me extract shapes and parade them here for you to see. As explained above, each was extracted from some
resource drawing, be it a plan, assembly or maintenance drawing found within a T.O. (technical order), monograph resource,
as well as thousands of photographs reviewed since we began. On paper, they provide physical resource for hot wiring foam.
As we move from hot wiring to CNC milling and printing, we move into a totally virutal environment subject to continual audit.

Audit is driven by limited availability of 66 year old visual resources surviving heighth of Cold War. Upon rollout of the Boeing
B-52, all factory archived B-47 drawings and documentation was ordered to be destroyed due to Cold War and spys.

There are only two Boeing B-47 full airframe technical drawings in existance. The National Air and Space Museum's archive
contributed microfisch containing 3000 engineering, assembly, and maintenance drawings utilized in Boeing T.O.'s. The USAF
Museum in Dayton, Ohio contributed T.O. containing color, placard, stenciling, text with measurement and placement detail.
My project group is the only group with this T.O. I have mailed CD copies to mainteance crews of B-47 survivors.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

All of the above documentation plus copies of T.O.'s related to piloting, sustaining flight, typical mission/flight plans, outlines
my documentation index. The basis for my Boeing B-47E and B design is Boeing's 100th drawings and multipleview artist and
general assembly drawings of these ten drawings two provide the greatest degree of accuracy when compared to both the
1/100th drawings with dims declaration, accumulative dims indexes shown in multiple T.O. and two line art drawings of both
the B-47E and B.

I am currently trying to find an excellent composite drawing from the 50's drawn by Chris Davey. It is a large format 17" x 11"
document.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Functional CAD from analog (b/w multiple view line aviation art profiles)

1). Scan raster drawing
2). Import into graphics editor to save individual 1/2 formers as vector drawings.
3). Save vector 1/2 formers into individual files.
4). Import individual 1/2 former vectors into Argon to process two line railing to form solid geometry files.
Continue to process vectors to solids using the railing function until all 1/2 formers are converted.
5). Save individual former solids into to be milled section of fuselage saved in appropriate CAD format.

Argon permits saving as these file formats:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ArgonExport.jpg
Views:	1825
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	168503  

Ed Clayman
Old 05-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Truss ~ Truss, Why Is There A Truss ? ? ? ? ? ?

Truss bears all...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CalcB47CG.jpg
Views:	1770
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	168771  

Ed Clayman
Old 05-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Molds & Other Distractions....

In order to reduce the AUW, I decided to create molds for fuselage components. That would be from sta # 326.50 forward,
sans canopy. At a minimum that would be the front from sta 326.50 forward to sta 126, with the next vertical break at sta
96.125. Back at the rear the sheath is thin so it had to be molded from resin and glass to make it more resistant to vibration.

After the two center sections and elbom of fuselage are hot wired, I will determine sta number from which the forward rear
section is molded. This is somewhere rearward of sta 915.50, the rear retract bulkhead.

Approach and breaking chutes are attached to hard wood vertical fin king and rudder posts. Both posts are keyed into
rear truss. Rear most sheath begins at sta 1221.60.

Below are the two rear sheaths with cross sections.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NearSideCrosSectionGuide.jpg
Views:	1833
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	168792   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA1221.6T.jpg
Views:	1744
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	168793   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA916.5T.jpg
Views:	1754
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	168794   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearMostTopDwnWTurretOvrLa.jpg
Views:	1725
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	168795  

Ed Clayman
Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Any Questions ? ? ?

I would expect a few...

Ed Clayman
Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Ultracal 30/60 Close Tolerance Tooling Medium

ULTRACALŪ 60 Gypsum Cement is traditional tooling gypsum cement specially formulated for close tolerance tooling. It is ideal for splash-casting
molds and models for phenolic, polyester, and epoxy resins. The plaster is similar in all respects to ULTRACALŪ 30, with the exception its setting
time is longer, making it ideal for larger molds.

It features exceptional hardness and accuracy, as well as the lowest expansion of any rapid-setting gypsum cement. It is recommended where
the highest degree of accuracy is required. The plaster requires 39 parts water by weight per 100 parts plaster, and after machine mixing, it sets
in 75-90 minutes. For best storage results, keep indoors in a dry, stable environment, away from drafts. Do not stack more than two pallets high.

Shortly, you will be exposed to the use of USG UltraCAL 30/60 in this build thread. You should judge for yourself whether it is an appropriate or
inappropriate product for you to handle and use per the manufacturer's intended use directions. Our project's use is to create molds for fiber glass
lay-ups of fuselage, nacelle, tanks, rear sheath, radome, and other items determined to be our best choice for creation of fiber glass & resin parts
for weight and space savings.

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
ULTRACALŪ 30 Gypsum Cement
MSDS # 52-140-018
United States Gypsum Company
125 South Franklin Street
Chicago, Illinois 60606-4678
A Subsidiary of USG Corporation
Product Safety: 1 (800) 507-8899
www.usg.com
Version Date: October 8, 2003 Version: 4

PDF: http://www.clay-planet.com/MSDS/plaster/Ultracal%2030.pdf

CAUTION:

While there are several YouTube videos showing the use of USG's Ultracal 30, I do not recommend you follow these as they do not follow the
manufacturer's instructions and cautions for mixing/aka wetting out. Water to Ultracal mixing ratio by weight for Unical 30 and 60 is explicit.
The videos, even the best of the bunch by Merlyn Graves all failed to mention the importance of maintaining this ratio. The polymer in Ultracal
30/60 depends on proper mixing to deliver its superior mold surface and strength.

The temperature of the mold can exceed 160 degrees Fer. Severe burns can occur with horrific consequence, even loss of body parts. Eye
protection with wrap-around goggles is recommended. Never, ever place your bare hand into the bag of Ultracal 30 / 60 when mixing. It is
recommended you wear long sleeve clothing to reduce exposure to the Ultracal 30 / 60 dust.

In all cases, move Ultracal all 30~60 from its original packaging into plastic container for mixing using a dry large handled ladel. It is highly
recommended distilled water be utilized in the mixing process to assure it is clean and free of contaminates. After mixing, it is highly
recommended you wash the entire length of your arms to the finger tips in mild soap and thoroughly rinse and dry. I recommend minimum
3M elastic back fiber particulate filter for your face when moving from original container into mixing container.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ultracal30.jpg
Views:	1608
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	168866   Click image for larger version

Name:	DryIntoWetByHand.jpg
Views:	1645
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	168867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultrracal30bag.jpg
Views:	1591
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	168868  

Ed Clayman
Old 05-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #22
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Personal Achievements....Atta Boy's & Thank You's

Richard (Dick) Reynolds and Mike Wilson are unique behind the scenes project contributors and supporters who, from the beginning
of Sam's and my B-47 project have taken that extra step to bridge where we were and where we wanted (needed) to be.

This began filling in some voids in our 1:1 resources found in print and on the internet. Each is a documentarian sharing an interest
in Boeing's B-47. Mike's interest is purely documentarian while Dick is constructing a 1/12th RC replica.

They went to Washington DC to the Smithsonian NASM after making an appointment to research the records available there. The
first trip defined what would have to be done during the second because most if not all of what NASM had was not indexed in a way
familiar to anyone outside of the BAC manufacturing and assembly progression identification protocol.

One of, if not the most important findings was "unopened" BAC microfische with over 3000 images on it. You might think this was a
gold mine...yes, but as in the case of gold mines...it takes gold to mine for it. This looked to be getting exceptionally expensive at
NASM's diplication rate per copied page. (If you never played video games in the late 70's to early 80's you probably don't have a
vision of stacked quarters)...beside of everyone playing...

An example of how this data is utilized in our three projects is below courtesy of Dick Reynolds. I placed his 3D CAD in an animation.

The only pressurized portion of the Boeing B-47 was a two clyinder shaped section within the front end. In my model design this is screwed
into the lower truss insert. The entire section above removes from the balance of the fuselage along with the exterior skin it is attached to.
The circle at the extreme front is the perimeter of the removable nose.

Note: 1947 Boeing B-47 measured general layouts were all we had for dims when this project began. Between Dave and I we ended up with
I believe 8 measured BAC dated assembly and general layout drawings from Michael Lombardi @ BAC, an Italian source, and eBay. From that
my project has progressed rapidly by comparison to most scratch projects. The cold war security pretty much destroyed all but what Dick
Reynolds and Mike Wilson researched at the NASM archive.

From the above "A" model inboard nacelles to the CAD inboard "E" nacelles below was a pleasant 36 month evolution.

Austin, TX software company Ashlar-Vellum's Cobalt, Xenon, and Argon products provide a unique set of tools with which to
manipulate drawings to a modeler's advantage. It is designed with more "friendly" processes, layout, and functionality compared
to AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and others in that it contains a has a very broad file compatibility. One of the most difficult issues has
been to convert one format into another...either imported or exported.

When we return from seeing Ironman 3 this morning I will contimue this show and tell bringing out the finer qualities of the base
line functionality within all three of Ashlar-Vellum's programs. Argon offers the scale modeler a huge tool box of utiliities at the
least expense of any editor I have ever seen.

Next, will show biforcated Tam's Dynamax, esc, retract, and batteries within.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CPView5GTSet100.gif
Views:	1916
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	168999   Click image for larger version

Name:	1947Crossectionssml.jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	169000   Click image for larger version

Name:	InboardSample1.jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	169010   Click image for larger version

Name:	InboardSample4.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	169013   Click image for larger version

Name:	InboardSample3.jpg
Views:	1973
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	169014  

Name:	InboardSample7.jpg
Views:	1502
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	169015   Click image for larger version

Name:	InboardSample8.jpg
Views:	1948
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	169017  

Ed Clayman
Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #23
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Exhaust Audit

Compare Dick's rear faciting to detailed photos of same. He did an absolutely excellent job for someone who's
3D CAD experience is measured in months, not years. His engineering experiences and drafting skills permitted
him to rapidly move forward.

To create the pylon to nacelle fillet (not shown on this CAD image, will explain why later) you will use your
favorite graphics editor...Microsoft Image Composer... favorite because it is found in MS Office. You can use
any editor, however I have found MIC to provide the greatest number of attributes at the lowest cost of
acquisition.

Import side view of nacelle CAD drawing into your graphics editor. Import the same perspective of the pylon
photo. Scale these to each other. We want to replicate the bottom edge line of the panels on the side of
the pylon aft of the center point on side of the pylon (See A, B, C).

You will cut a length of Dow Blue Styrofoam greater than the length of the green area on side of pylon. Cut
Styrofoam into shape of extruded equal sided triangle with its base equal to the distance of dashed blue line
from nacelle rear to trailing edge break.

The length of the triangle base should be from (A) to (C), extra is recommended. Heighth should be distance
from (B) to (C. A is at a point as if you had extended the panel line from just above and to its right down to
the fillet base.

D is the hot wire former for the fillet. You will need two "D" hot wire formers for each to-be-cut fillet. These
can be made from either Formica or G10. G10 is phenolic and fiber glass/linen material used in hot wiring to
make formers. D former is affixed to "end" of cross cut Styrofoam with 3M Super-77. Regular scissors can be
used to cut the shape for D.

After two extruded triangular sections of Styrofoam have been cut, affix D former to newly cross cut faces
of center cross cut. You are going to hot wire from the center cut former to one side of the opposite "end"
of the foam. I repeat..."one" side. This is going to appear to fade into the leading and trailing edges of the
pylon and nacelle.

After it is hot wired, the shape will easily fit along side of the pylon. It is recommended the fillet be affixed
to the pylon and not to the nacelle. Pylon is removed for transport, battery access, servicing the EDF, and
ESC. Use epoxy to adhere fillet to surface. It can be taped in place until epoxy cures.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CompositeInboard.jpg
Views:	1501
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	169088   Click image for larger version

Name:	InboardNacSideWfillet2.jpg
Views:	1484
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	169097  

Ed Clayman
Old 05-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default All Fillets Are Alike....Right?

Don't everyone ask at the same time now... Why didn't you mill the fillet instead of adding it during
assembly? The answer is in the construction of the inboard nacelle. Remember, we are using removable
pylons to afford ease of maintenance. I hope I have seen the last of kneeling down bent over to access
disassembly or assembly.

The pylon receiver box embedded in the wing is a rectangular ply box laminated with carbon fiber vale
then interlocked with the adjacent ply wing spar. With this comes mechanical slip so the blade can be
removed.

Though the blade is locked up to prevent movement, "accumulative" mechanical error means there is no
way to anticipate what final gaps are going to be at the pylon junction of blade and the pylon outside
perimeter. Assemblying the fillet after all the balance is made permits me to clean up appearance.

Sam reop'd the flap mechanism to work perfectly, We are using linear servos manufactured by Firgelli,
http://www.firgelli.com/pdf/L12_datasheet.pdf multiple ratios to choose from.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WingPlanView.jpg
Views:	1432
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	169104   Click image for larger version

Name:	firgelli1.jpg
Views:	1418
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	169108  

Ed Clayman
Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #25
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Still watching with interest Ed Good to see her coming together so well; a little more precise than my train transformer hotwire cutter and razor saw...I'm really looking forward to see how you apply the covering. P.S., how did you like Iron Man 3?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets

Tags
120mm edf , b-47 , bifurcate , cnc styrofoam milling , stratojet