Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
RKEstes

Friends: (1)
Default BH Star Trainer

Hi everyone. There is not much out there on this plane as far as reviews go so I thought I'd add my 2 cents on it.
After a 25 years hiatus from the hobby I decided to get back into it. After purchasing a 1450mm T-28 and promptly becoming a bit intimidated by it I decided to leave it on the table for a few and get a trainer to ease back into the sport.
I ordered the Blitz RC Star Trainer because I liked the convertible aspect (Both high wing and low wing, tail dragger and tricycle gear configurations).
I flew extensively for 5 or 6 years previously everything from Telemasters to giant scale gas planes and considered myself an advanced flyer at the time but like I said that was 25 years ago. Everything was glow powered back then.
The assembly was straight forward and the manual was fairly well written and helpful. No gluing was a nice touch in my opinion and everything went together very well. I opted for the high wing tail dragger configuration as the wide main gear stance and oversize main gear wheels added confidence for grass field operation. This is also a fairly large plane and easy for old eyes to see!
Took the plane to a local school yard late the other evening and maiden it. This plane is a very nice flyer in this configuration. It took off in about 15-20 feet and climbed out nicely at about 3/4 throttle. The only trimming i had to do was about 2 clicks of down elevator to maintain level flight at 3/4 throttle. The plane rights itself quickly at release of the sticks which I believe is important for a trainer. It handled rolls and loops nicely and is capable of the normal basic aerobatics. My timer went off at 6 minutes and I set up to land her..
There was a little wind and the plane exhibited no nasty habits.It slows nicely and I managed to set it down on all 3 at a very nice slow approach speed. With the optional flaps connected I believe you could land it at walking speed just like my old Telemaster. The second flight was very nice as well. Nice little adrenalin pump even from a trainer. Now I remember why I loved this sport so much earlier in my life! I learned one thing. I need more batteries! LOL
In conclusion I am very pleased with this plane and am excited to try the low wing configurations. I am also going to hook up the flaps. I feel that this would be an excellent aileron trainer for anyone that is looking for a good trainer with a little growth capability built into it for advancing skills.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
RKEstes

http://youtu.be/VzDebdDigCg
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
LowThudd

Friends: (0)

Looks like a nice plane! I will consider that one. Thanks for the review.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
RKEstes

Thank you! Headed out now to fly it some more. I hooked up flaps on it yesterday and installed a video camera. I will post some footage when I return.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

RK,
Looks like a winner ! Wish it was available a couple of years ago.

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
RKEstes

I took the plane out again today to the local Metro Parks flying field after installing the flaps, a video camera, and a receiver for my new Spektrum DX6i. Checked everything over thoroughly and proceeded to take off with my ailerons reversed! Luckily I was able to get back down without turning the plane into a kit again! Dumb luck. Here's the video.
The rest of the flights were nice and uneventful. Nice plane!

http://youtu.be/kFiAKRczGgo

Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
messynachos

i almost had this plane but bh wont ship lipo batts out of the usa so i cancelled my order and the shipping wad also 80$ so now im trying to find something similair to order with big wheels for grid road and field lands. what do i do ?? eveeyone says supercub but i just feel thwy are a little too beginner like my firebird stratos. my p51 turned out to be a little too fast for my reaction time and crashed lots lol any help?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
RKEstes

That's unfortunate about the batteries. I have bought several from vendors in China and they don't seem to have a problem shipping them. The Multiplex Fun Cub is a very easy to fly plane as well. Comes with big ole wheels.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/index/mp...FQk6nAodVA8Agw
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Tracy Jackson

Nice video!!!! Almost made me airsick!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Way to go Kevin !

This plane gives you alot of options. Good review !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
messynachos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UwA...e_gdata_player
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #12
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Messy,
Nice view of the neighborhood but I like to see the plane flying- lol. 3rd person
View...

Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #13
RKEstes

My first flight in the low wing configuration. Sorry about the empty airspace. First time out with my hat cam and I need to angle it up some. The landing wasn't the best and it stripped the cheapo rudder servo when the nose wheel touched first. I am replacing all the servos in my plane. You would expect a little better quality for the money they ask for these planes.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
RKEstes

Better low wing video. Very stable plane even in the low wing configuration.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners