Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pattern aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Pattern aircraft Discuss electric powered pattern aircraft in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
TopSpin

Friends: (1)
Default EPO Formosa II

I just recieved my Formosa II from HeadsupRC and it is definetly heavier than the old EPP foam version. I ordered it on Saturday and it showed up on Wednesday, not bad and with $2.00 shipping it's hard to beat.

I got the NPS white (stripped down) model and will fit it with my own components that I will describe in a short build thread. My focus will be on a very good perfoming pattern plane without spending a bundle. The Formosa is well known as one of the best flying foam pattern planes ever but I have not tried one in EPO.

So my goal is not to build a rocket, although that is easily doable, but to build a medium high performance pattern plane that is fun to fly and has enough power to do any aerobatics you want without breaking the bank.

So, pictures and ramblings to follow shortly.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,133 Times in 2,042 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (307)

Hi Sometimes when a plane is a little heavy, it will help to pull it through Maneovers better, rather than just flopping through them if the plane is to light, so sometimes weight is your friend, build it with a 1000kv motor on 3 cells, and if you want to go faster, the 1000kv motor will normally take a 4 cell lipo with a little smaller prop for more speed, Subrcribed Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
TopSpin

Right you are and this is the motor that is going in it. https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224285

I'll be running an APC 11X5E prop and a 3S 40C 2600 Lipo. This should hual it nicely with plenty of pull for knife edges and other maneuvers.

I notice that Leaders motor prices have gone up significantly. I bought mine for $14.00 about six months ago along with five other 480 sized motors of different KV. I hope this is not a permanent trend but for the thread I will recommend this motor from Headsup RC, http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...80-Plus/Detail

It has plenty of power and costs half as much.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Topspin,
I like what I'm reading here. Finally trashed my PZ T-28 and have been looking for a new home for the emax park 450 . Think this will roll on grass ? Or is it a hand launcher ? Have a drawer full of 9g servos. Subscribed.

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
TopSpin

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Topspin,
I like what I'm reading here. Finally trashed my PZ T-28 and have been looking for a new home for the emax park 450 . Think this will roll on grass ? Or is it a hand launcher ? Have a drawer full of 9g servos. Subscribed.

Hawk
Hey Hawk,,,,You can build it with or without LG, it comes with it and they will roll off of grass if it's not too tall. I never use the landing gear and just toss them. I put a piece of clear tape over the cutout for the landing gear to smooth the wing and I don't ever paint them except the wing tips for visual reference.

Your motor and those servos will work fine. You should be able to use the ESC and receiver as well if they are not damaged. Sounds like all you need is a plane and a battery.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Spin,

Been looking for reviews and build logs but not that succesful for the II. Seems like there were a few complaints about being able to stuff a 3S 2200 lipo in the compartment. Not sure about this but for $50? Seems too good to be true. Also read and maybe it only applies to the original GWS Formosa , that it will not turn on ailerons alone. Need to coordinate rudder &elevator. That's okay as long as I know this from the beginning. Not too concerned about the LG. I too would remove them.

Did the wite only version come with decals or stickers?

Post pics when you get her built.

Cheers,

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Also read and maybe it only applies to the original GWS Formosa , that it will not turn on ailerons alone. Need to coordinate rudder &elevator.

-Hawk
Hawk - any pattern plane worth its snuff won't turn with ailerons alone - you simple don't want that when doing precision aerobatics.

You want a plane that does this:
  • Elevator = Pitch
  • Rudder = Yaw
  • Ailerons = Roll
If a pattern plane does something else with the command you will have a hard time flying it through maneuvers. And lets face it 90% of planes I have flow won't turn with just Aileron, or just rudder. Elevator is needed to complete turns.

Back to the Formosa. It turns redily and as you would expect with just aileron and elevator controls - no need for coordinated turns for sure. The rudder only yaw's and no roll is induced. I had the original version - it is a fantastic airplane. You likely could have fit smaller 2200's in that but the v2 is larger. I suspect they would not be an issue. I used a TP 2100 pro lite pack but they are more compact than modern 2200 packs.

Mike
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Mike,

Only being back in the hobby for two years, I've not graduated to Pattern or 3D planes for that matter. I can fly the normal loops, axials, inverted but not in any disciplined "pattern" sort of way like maintaining a heading down the centerline, etc. No rhyme or reason, just experimentation. Here, there's rhyme and reason.

My little squadron has consisted mainly of Arf foamy park flyers, some edf's and for an occasional adrenaline rush, the small yet very fast Rare Bear. Sounds like maybe I could use some sim time on basic pattern aerobatic flying maneuvers before I get myself in trouble. Never really understood the AMA classification for Pattern.

$50.00 plus $2.00 shipping is very tempting for something I may be able to load my EMAX 2820/07 into. A little concerned that this motor might be too much for this plane. It weighs 5.4 oz.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

-Hawk

Old 03-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

The EPO Formosa II has a Rudder, But make the rudder Extra Large for nice Knife Edges

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...OSA--II/Detail

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
The EPO Formosa II has a Rudder, But make the rudder Extra Large for nice Knife Edges

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...OSA--II/Detail

Chellie,

Just curious. How would you go about doing this? How big? Made from what?

Thanks,

Hawk

Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Chellie,

Just curious. How would you go about doing this? How big? Made from what?

Thanks,

Hawk
You can make it from 6mm depron Foam or 3/16" - 1/4" Balsa wood. just add about 3/4" to the back of the rudder to make it wider, the stock rudder is not very big, so adding to it will really help, do this after you have maiden the plane stock. use 5 min epoxy to add the extra foam or balsa to the original rudder, the original rudder will only allow for a 5 second knife edge.

I took another look at the formosa and formosa 2 the formosa 2 may already have a larger wider rudder, please send me a pic of the rudder on your plane, if its not very wide, then add to it.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Chellie,

I still haven't decided on this plane but it looks very interesting. Still not 100% sure it's a candidate for my EMAX 2820/07.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
LPatrick

Friends: (0)
Default Formosa II EPO from HeadsUpRC.com

OK Topspin, mine arrived a few days ago, and I'm about halfway with assembly. The battery compartment will not accommodate any 3 cell I have ever seen so a wing mod to poke it thru the wing into the fuselage was made. The foam is very easily cut with a clean new #11 when trimming the control surfaces. Nice bird so far. Will power it with a PZ 480 from a discarded Stinson. I used Shoe Goo for adhesive since there was no GWS glue in the kit. Wing on this EPO version is one piece so no joining/alignment problems. Not certain about installing the LG yet as I need to see if there is enough thrust for hand launch. Let's keep this thread alive.

Lloyd
Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Sorry I should have been more clear - no question foam removal is necessary for batteries in ALL the GWS planes. They were built in the day of small A is size round cells. Yes they are that old. Can't actually believe GWS is still afloat.

Mike
Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

LPatrick,

Can you post a pic of your wing mod to accomodate a 2200 3S ? I don't mind surgery as long as it's not major surgery

-Hawk

Old 03-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Sorry I should have been more clear - no question foam removal is necessary for batteries in ALL the GWS planes. They were built in the day of small A is size round cells. Yes they are that old. Can't actually believe GWS is still afloat.

Mike
+1 on foam removal The wing attaches from bottom, about 1/4 of the fuse at the saddle is part of the wing.

heres mine...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61896

great little plane for the money, easy "build", instructions are lacking but sufficient....IMHO hand launcher for sure.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234093

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510361

@ Hawk, that motor might be just a little too big IMO, but look at this....little bit of glassing to strengthen wing saddle area after cutting battery hatch before gluing halves together, you could get it to work, 500watt formosas are not out of the question!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491709

have a good one
CR
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Crimz,

Jesse from Heads Up seems to think the 2820/07 will work though it's 1.8 oz more than they normally recommend with the 480 Powerup that only weighs 3.6 oz. Mentioned that I may need to add weight to the aft to balance but that since this plane needs mods in order to accomodate a decent battery, it should not be too big deal.

Closer to pulling the trigger !

-Hawk

Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

had mine for four-five years, have flown her with everything from a power 10 to a 2409-18,(whats on her now)4-3 cells, from 40 to 18 ESC's,
Beef up the landing gear, (the only thing that needs a mod) the rudder is huge as are all the control surfaces, Though a aerobatic rascal she's a sweetheart to fly, You can bank and yank to turn without the rudder with no probs, she will turn flat as you like with rudder and opposing ailerons,
I think I did a build tread called Formossa II super lite build years ago,
hope you like her as she's a sweety, by the way, throw he battery hatch away as you'll never get more than a long flat 1300 3-cell (hard to find) in her, I even made a fiberglass one but still the space was to small, helps airflow anyhoo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 424.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	166699

Name:	petty_an_red_408.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	166700

Name:	petty_an_red_436.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	166701

Name:	petty an red 407.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	166702

Name:	SAM_0889.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	166703

Name:	SAM_0905.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	166704

Name:	SAM_0907.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	166705

Name:	SAM_0908.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	166706

Name:	SAM_0920.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	166707

Name:	SAM_0928.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	166708

Monkey Minion'air
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks !

Guess I'll have to wait till they're back in stock @ HURC. Sold out. I have plenty to fly and build in the meantime. Will stay tuned for more build and fly info on this thread.

-Hawk

Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

heres the thread I had, bubsteve
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28787

Monkey Minion'air
Old 03-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #21
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Bubsteve ! Read through the whole thread. Hey, used to live over in Alachua county (Gainesville) Sure do miss Florida.

-Hawk

Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #22
LPatrick

Friends: (0)
Default Wing bolt anchors

Looking for suggestions for anchors for the wing bolts. It seems impossible to align the nuts and their flimsy little plastic holders and epoxy them in place.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
Slowjohn
You can bury me after I'm done flying

Club: Just Some Friends
Awards Showcase

1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (28)

Thanks !

Guess I'll have to wait till they're back in stock @ HURC. Sold out. I have plenty to fly and build in the meantime. Will stay tuned for more build and fly info on this thread.

-Hawk
I may have gotten the last one this time around & the Big Brown truck is due to drop it off today
This will be my 2nd 'Mosa II due to my trading off the first one & I've missed it alot! I'll finish up my NFS build today as well & since the 'Mosa II is such a fast build I'm gonna go ahead and build it next before I start on my Super Aeromaster build

Standing By,
SJ

Update,
It arrived about an hour ago

Blue Skies, Calm Breezes & A Full Hanger
Makes Me A Very Happy Man
Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
TopSpin

I was really surprised when mine came. There was an outer box but no inner box, GWS now packages their planes in plastic bags.

I agree with Mike that it's hard to believe that GWS is still around.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Formosa II.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	167038

Name:	Tag.gif
Views:	92
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	167039

Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #25
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
I was really surprised when mine came. There was an outer box but no inner box, GWS now packages their planes in plastic bags.

I agree with Mike that it's hard to believe that GWS is still around.
I still have my 5-6 year old box if you need it,
They made some hum dingers though,, E-Starter about the best all around fun plane I ever had, my old tigermoth 400 still rocks, Slow Stick's were GWS as well, pico sticks, there floats are great and at 10$ can't be beat, there big enough for my SuperCub,, they are lagging now but back where they were the "Go-To" guys for foam plane's,, Bet you'll love your's,, Keep it light, bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	petty_an_red_083.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	167040

Name:	petty_an_red_436.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	167041

Monkey Minion'air

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pattern aircraft