Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
dongshan

Friends: (0)
Default Replacing cordless drill battery pack Asus A53TA batteries

Okay, so I have a cordless drill and one of the battery packs went dead and I'm attempting to replace the batteries in the pack. I've read a few forums online and found that even an amateur can do this pretty simple. However, I do have a few questions that I wasn't able to find out.

The batteries in my pack are labeled " Asus A53TA ". From what I found this is a 1.2v Ni-Cd sub-c class battery and the S means high capacity (mAh?) and quick charging. However, I can't find much about this specific battery, like how many mAh it actually has.

1. My first question is, where could I find the specs for this specific battery or what is a good mAh for a cordless drill? I've seen them up to 2500, maybe higher.

2. I found many batteries setup to make into a battery pack with the tabs already included. My other question then, is can I just solder the tabs to the other battery or is there some other kind of "weld" or adhesive I should use? Maybe someone has done this already and suggests a good battery I can use? more detials : http://www.batterietutti.com/asus-a53ta.html

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dongshan View Post
Okay, so I have a cordless drill and one of the battery packs went dead and I'm attempting to replace the batteries in the pack. I've read a few forums online and found that even an amateur can do this pretty simple. However, I do have a few questions that I wasn't able to find out.

The batteries in my pack are labeled " Asus A53TA ". From what I found this is a 1.2v Ni-Cd sub-c class battery and the S means high capacity (mAh?) and quick charging. However, I can't find much about this specific battery, like how many mAh it actually has.

1. My first question is, where could I find the specs for this specific battery or what is a good mAh for a cordless drill? I've seen them up to 2500, maybe higher.

2. I found many batteries setup to make into a battery pack with the tabs already included. My other question then, is can I just solder the tabs to the other battery or is there some other kind of "weld" or adhesive I should use? Maybe someone has done this already and suggests a good battery I can use? more detials : http://www.batterietutti.com/asus-a53ta.html

Thanks in advance!
It's a shame, you can buy a cordless drill, then buy a replacement battery for it and spend as much for the battery as the whole thing cost to begin with.

I've replaced the individual cells in the batteries for my Porter Cable cordless drill several times now. Also have rebuilt many other battery operated tools, it's not to hard if you have the proper replacement cells. Now days, you can obtain decent battery cells at reasonable cost. Check out www.voltmanbatteries.com, they sell individual 3300 Mah Nih cells for about $3.30 each, or lower capacity Nicads for a bit less. These cells come with straps that are easily soldered.
http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/serv...BATTERY/Detail

For a price, they will also rebuild your existing battery pack.

I've ordered many hundreds of dollars of A123 cells from voltmanbatteries, nice place to do business with.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

As Kyle says - easy once you have the cells ....

Personally I have 2 solutions ............ most of these are 12 - 14.4v operation ... sitting slap bang on a car battery voltage. You can remove the contacts of the battery pack so it doesn't make contact anymore. Take a reasonable 2 core flex and connect to contacts inside handle ... make a slot in battery case to allow it to click back in place. the other end of lead can have a 12v car ciggy plug attached so you can power from car .. boat ... emergency starter pack etc. (Reason I put battery back in - is balance weight ... )
Other solution is to install a battery pack of my own made from tagged cells as OP has found ... as Kyle says - these are just soldered up by the tags to make a pack ... being careful to make sure you shape / arrangement of original ...

You could of course fit a 3S - 4S LiPo in the handle .........

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers