Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)
Default GWS Tiger Moth 400 Questions

Scotty909....mclarkson....stevecooper...all others interested.

This post is my attempt to narrow down a few concerns/questions I have regarding the 400 Moth.

I've read through most of the RCgroups threads (attachments) and all of those here (thus the request to the three mentioned above). Since I have not actually seen a GWS in person (plenty of other types (scale) are at the clubs I frequent), have not built or flown a bi-plane and only have Slow Stick and Piper Cub J3 build and extensive flight time, my list is more of a summary of what I have seen on the forums:

I intend to start with a brushed GWS EPS 400D motor with a gear box ratio of - spur = 4x66t and pinion= 4x22t, a spare Slow Stick combo I have laying around, 10x5E APC prop w/prop saver, 20amp esc, 7.4v 1600mAh 40c battery.
Rudder and elevator servos would be Parkzone SV 80's and aileron servos mini 9g's off an old Cub.

Questions:

1) Many have added carbon spars to the wings. Is this really needed since I do not intend to fly this plane in an extreme manner or conditions?

2) What is the prefered aileron servo installation, one (single) or two with y cable? I'm only interested in lower wing control.

3) Battery location, I've seen three different methods. The 1600 I intend to use is a bit longer than the equal 3 cell but about the same weight...I know C/G is critical...and the 7.4v has worked well in combination with the brushed motor/prop mentioned.

4) Air surface control horizontal stabilizer and rudder (hinges, tape or combination of epoxy & rods..

5) Push rods, stock or customized..?

6) Clevis and control horns, stock or custom...?

7) Do the stock wing strut supports (rudder included) do the job or will additional wire support or enhanced struts be advised (several different methods are shown on the threads)

I think I have a handle on the remaining build issues......just not sure about the 7 above.

mclarkson, I really like the landing gear idea you show at RCgroups, I intend to go that direction with 2.5" wheels.

Thanks guys, It's really been a toss up for me to either build this Moth and advance or go with a "rubber" Tech One Funfly....Since I've beat the heck out of my Pipers learning (mastering) 4ch aileron control....and I'd rather keep my last one pretty.....lol

AMA 928214
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

1 Many have added carbon spars to the wings. Is this really needed since I do not intend to fly this plane in an extreme manner or conditions?
Use if you crash and need repair , until then save the poundage,
2 "I intend to start with a brushed GWS EPS 400D motor with a gear box ratio of - spur = 4x66t and pinion= 4x22t, a spare Slow Stick combo I have laying around, 10x5E APC prop w/prop saver, 20amp esc, 7.4v 1600mAh 40c battery.
Rudder and elevator servos would be Parkzone SV 80's and aileron servos mini 9g's off an old Cub."
servos will do fine, you can get a 380-400 brushless + ESC for around twenty buck's, 400 brushed with a 7.4 will be sluggish and you need a bit of power to get out of tight spots if needed
One servo in the wing will do fine,
stock hinges worked on mine for 6 years,
Stock horns and control rods are good enough on mine,
" Do the stock wing strut supports (rudder included) do the job or will additional wire support or enhanced struts be advised (several different methods are shown on the threads)"
wire on the wings ( tooth floss ) will really stiff'in them up and is well worth the mod,, It also helps slow you down with a tad of drag which you'll fine is a good thing for most (me),
bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post

Questions:

1) Many have added carbon spars to the wings. Is this really needed since I do not intend to fly this plane in an extreme manner or conditions?

2) What is the prefered aileron servo installation, one (single) or two with y cable? I'm only interested in lower wing control.

3) Battery location, I've seen three different methods. The 1600 I intend to use is a bit longer than the equal 3 cell but about the same weight...I know C/G is critical...and the 7.4v has worked well in combination with the brushed motor/prop mentioned.

4) Air surface control horizontal stabilizer and rudder (hinges, tape or combination of epoxy & rods..

5) Push rods, stock or customized..?

6) Clevis and control horns, stock or custom...?

7) Do the stock wing strut supports (rudder included) do the job or will additional wire support or enhanced struts be advised (several different methods are shown on the threads)
Pizzano, FWIW my original Tiger Moth is pretty much bone stock and flies just fine.

1) Not needed, no. I eventually put the wing spar from a Stryker in my lower wing because I noticed the wings flexing a lot during extreme maneuvers. Nothing ever broke or came close to breaking and I wouldn't have noticed it at all if I wasn't doing onboard video. I've also added flying wires, but mainly for the look of it.

2) I used the stock single aileron setup on my first Moth. It's never given me a bit of trouble. (I'm only running 2 ailerons.) On my second Moth, I went with dual aileron servos because A) I'm more comfortable with the idea of chopping holes in my wings than I was 2 years ago and B) Things get pretty cramped inside the fuselage and this way gives you more room in there.

3) My batteries both slide right down into the nose, in the more-or-less stock position. My second Moth came out pretty tail heavy - I think because of my heavy paint job - so I modded the battery compartment to allow the battery to slide forward more than stock.

4) If I understand the question, I used the stock Tyvek hinges on my first Moth (they don't make those anymore, but I actually prefer them). I used the stock nylon hinges on my second moth.

5 & 6) I'm running all the stock equipment on both of mine. My first Moth has been flying since November of 2010 with all stock bits.

7) Again, I've been running all stock parts on my first moth since 2010. On my second Moth, I made new wooden interplane struts but mainly cuz I wanted to. The originals haven't given me any trouble.

As to landing gear, my first Moth was modded with an extra set of gear wire mounted to a wood brace on the bottom of the firewall. This has proven so strong that a bad landing which catches the gear will snap the fuse it two, rather than breaking the LG. So ... partial success? I have no good photos of the setup.

Me new Moth uses a second set of wire mounted behind the original mount point. I carved out a rough slot behind the original, used the second mount that comes on the part tree.

The bottom line is, in my experience, if you just build the stock kit, it'll fly just fine for years.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Mark, Luv your land'in gear mod,, I put one behind the wing for floats,, works great, bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Thanks guys......I'm shopping for the Moth as we speak, trying to keep things in my miserable budget and retain decent quality with my spare parts...I have a spare Power Up 400 brushless, esc and a couple of 11.1v 1000mAh batteries, but I thought I'd try the geared set-up first.

Not sure when I'll start this, but when I do I'll chime in with more questions and build status.

AMA 928214

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners