Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Motocalc Update from 8.07 to 8.08

I've been using motocalc now for many years. And, today, I did the free update of my copy from 8.07 to 8.08 by what should have been a simple update.

And update it did. Including WIPING OUT ALL OF MY 50 PLUS PROJECTS

Can't find them anywhere. There is absolutely no warning or documentation of this issue anywhere on the motocalc web page, the motocalc update screen, or in the on-line motocalc.pdf instruction document.

I lost a lot of valuable information from many club members models that were documented.

I've got many other programs that I've done updates on, and none of them delete any existing files or projects.

An email has been sent to www.motocalc.com on this, but I don't have much hope for ever getting these files back.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
stefanv
MotoCalc Developer

Friends: (0)
Default They're probably not gone

They're probably not gone. MotoCalc 8.08 stores these in the folder C:\Users\YourUserName\Application Data\MotoCalc 8, whereas older versions stored them in C:\Program Files\MotoCalc8, which Windows Vista and newer mapped to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\MotoCalc 8 behind your (and my) back.

If you copy all the files from that third location to the first one (while MotoCalc is not running), you should find that everything is back. This is supposed to happen automatically when installing the update, but we have had a few reports where this did not happen.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by stefanv View Post
They're probably not gone. MotoCalc 8.08 stores these in the folder C:\Users\YourUserName\Application Data\MotoCalc 8, whereas older versions stored them in C:\Program Files\MotoCalc8, which Windows Vista and newer mapped to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\MotoCalc 8 behind your (and my) back.

If you copy all the files from that third location to the first one (while MotoCalc is not running), you should find that everything is back. This is supposed to happen automatically when installing the update, but we have had a few reports where this did not happen.
That all sounds good. However the XXX/Application Data directory is a Windows 7 secure systems directory. The Windows 7 users (like me) are not allowed access to this directory. I went into Windows 7, to turn on access to hidden files, but Windows 7 treated the system files differently from hidden files and still did not allow access to the application data directory.

So, how do I move the files to a directory where access is blocked??

Out of curiosity, I tried to re-install Motocalc 8.08, doing so did not resolve the problem.

DennyV
Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
stefanv
MotoCalc Developer

That's really odd. As user XXX, the files under XXX/Application Data (aka AppData) are YOUR files, so you should be allowed access to them. That is where Microsoft wants developers like us to put the user's files, since (as of Vista), they don't have access to files in "C:/Program Files".

The folder will be dimmed even when Show Hidden Folders is turned on, but you should still be allowed to go there. Perhaps some security setting on your system is preventing you from going there, and also prevented MotoCalc from copying the files from the previous version there?

If you're unable to resolve this, you can uninstall MotoCalc 8.08 and reinstall MotoCalc 8.07, and all your projects should reappear. Let me know if you need an installer for 8.07, or if you still have it handy.

Please note that we're in the middle of what looks like is going to be a 4-day power outage due to an ice storm. I'm connected to the Internet right now by satellite, with the equipment running on batteries, so my responses will be sporadic until late Monday.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

That's really odd. As user XXX, the files under XXX/Application Data (aka AppData) are YOUR files, so you should be allowed access to them. That is where Microsoft wants developers like us to put the user's files, since (as of Vista), they don't have access to files in "C:/Program Files".

The folder will be dimmed even when Show Hidden Folders is turned on, but you should still be allowed to go there. Perhaps some security setting on your system is preventing you from going there, and also prevented MotoCalc from copying the files from the previous version there?

If you're unable to resolve this, you can uninstall MotoCalc 8.08 and reinstall MotoCalc 8.07, and all your projects should reappear. Let me know if you need an installer for 8.07, or if you still have it handy.

Please note that we're in the middle of what looks like is going to be a 4-day power outage due to an ice storm. I'm connected to the Internet right now by satellite, with the equipment running on batteries, so my responses will be sporadic until late Monday.
Yeah, that would work, send me a copy of motocalc 8.07.

I've gone through everything I could find on that directory. Many internet sources indicated this is a restricted file location.

DennyV
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Sounds like your account isn't set up as an administrator account. Easy fix is just to upgrade your account to administrator (Control panel>Add or remove user accounts>click your account icon>change account type). Once you upgrade to administrator you should be able to access the folder.

Alternatively set up a new 'admin' account and log onto that.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
stefanv
MotoCalc Developer

Thanks JetPlaneFlyer, that's what I was going to suggest next. It really bugs me that (a) Microsoft tells us application developers that that's where we should store the user's data, and (b) the user has no out-of-application access to it. Furthermore, as kyleservicetech pointed out, the AppData folder is hidden, which means most users wouldn't be backing it up as part of their regular backups, since they don't even know it's there.

kyleservicetech, I'll be sending you an e-mail with a link to download 8.07 if you still want to go that route.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Sounds like your account isn't set up as an administrator account. Easy fix is just to upgrade your account to administrator (Control panel>Add or remove user accounts>click your account icon>change account type). Once you upgrade to administrator you should be able to access the folder.

Alternatively set up a new 'admin' account and log onto that.
Thanks for your response. I've all ready done that, and Windows 7 shows that I am the administrator. Still do not have access to that user file.

DennyV
Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Thanks JetPlaneFlyer, that's what I was going to suggest next. It really bugs me that (a) Microsoft tells us application developers that that's where we should store the user's data, and (b) the user has no out-of-application access to it. Furthermore, as kyleservicetech pointed out, the AppData folder is hidden, which means most users wouldn't be backing it up as part of their regular backups, since they don't even know it's there.

kyleservicetech, I'll be sending you an e-mail with a link to download 8.07 if you still want to go that route.
Status update:
I had to first un-install 8.08, then re-install 8.07. Now everything is good, and I've got all of my motocalc projects back.

Thanks for your efforts, it is appreciated.

DennyV

Note for other wattflyer readers, here is info on my PC
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium, build 7600, 64 Bit
Direct X 11

Three hard drives, one DVD drive

DennyV
Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Thanks for your response. I've all ready done that, and Windows 7 shows that I am the administrator. Still do not have access to that user file.
That's very odd, i can get into it and do whatever I like in there, also running Win 7.

See screenshot, maybe you need to check the permissions on the App Data folder?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 14 23.21.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	167827  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

That's very odd, i can get into it and do whatever I like in there, also running Win 7.

I think that's where the confusion is. Windows 7 has two similar sounding directories. One is AppData. That one I had no problems with, and even successfully copied the Motocalc 8 files to the AppData directory. Didn't work.

There is another Windows 7 directory by the name of Application Data. That one is hidden, and you do not have access to it. The Application Data directory can be "Unhidden" but even after doing that, any viewing or file copying is blocked by Windows 7.

So, if "appdata" is the correct directory for motocalc version 8.08, I still don't understand why version 8.08 did not recognize the original files.

DennyV
Old 04-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Strange.

I've got version 8.07 working just fine. And, just now, I installed version 8.08 into a different directory, motocalc808. And, guess what, none of my projects show up. Even though the files are stored in the Appdata directory.

And, going back to version 8.07 again, all is OK.

I'm not certain where version 8.08 stores its files, but it does not look like the file location is under XXXX/Appdata/motocalc8

DennyV
Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Some interesting info on the application data directory.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-ac2b71074b28/

Again, note that USERS\ \ \"appdata" and USERS \ \ \ "application data" are two different directories.

Take a look:
Volume in drive C is COMPAQ
Volume Serial Number is 78D3-4A77

Directory of C:\Users\Dennis

03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> Cookies [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Cookies]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> Local Settings [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Documents [C:\Users\Dennis\Documents]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> NetHood [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Network Shortcuts]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> PrintHood [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Printer Shortcuts]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> Recent [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Recent]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> SendTo [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ SendTo]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> Start Menu [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Start Menu]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> Templates [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Templates]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local

03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> History [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Hi story]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> Temporary Internet Files [C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet Files]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of C:\Users\Dennis\Documents

03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Music [C:\Users\Dennis\Music]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Pictures [C:\Users\Dennis\Pictures]
03/03/2010 06:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Videos [C:\Users\Dennis\Videos]
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Total Files Listed:
0 File(s) 0 bytes
16 Dir(s) 131,561,472,000 bytes free

This info was derived by going to THE windows users directory, then going to Windows "cmd" and typeing in:

DIR/AL/S>TEXT.TXT

DennyV

DennyV
Old 08-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
kdahlhaus

I just ran into this tonight. Motocalc asked for registration key and my projects were gone.

I found the files in:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\MotoCalc8
I copied them to
C:\Program Files x(86)\MotoCalc8 and they were back.

Copying them to
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Program Files\MotoCalc8
did not do the trick for me.

I was scared, but am happy it happened as now I'll ensure both directories are backed up.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
kdahlhaus

As another thought, Stefan, have you considered making it a web-based application? I'd love to be able to access my projects from different computers or a cell phone.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by kdahlhaus View Post
I just ran into this tonight. Motocalc asked for registration key and my projects were gone.

I found the files in:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\MotoCalc8
I copied them to
C:\Program Files x(86)\MotoCalc8 and they were back.

Copying them to
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Program Files\MotoCalc8
did not do the trick for me.

I was scared, but am happy it happened as now I'll ensure both directories are backed up.
Yeah
I tried that also. Even contacted Motocalc. Only solution was to re-install Motocalc 7

DennyV
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #17
a320jockey

I have used Motocalc for years since I bought my license. I updated my laptop some weeks ago and tried to access the Motocalc website but found it is not working. Is there a place where I can download the program and activate my license?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Carlos Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
Old 10-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by a320jockey View Post
I have used Motocalc for years since I bought my license. I updated my laptop some weeks ago and tried to access the Motocalc website but found it is not working. Is there a place where I can download the program and activate my license?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Carlos Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
I just checked on the motocalc website, for me it's working just fine, even with a download of the program.

Perhaps you could try it again? Hopefully it's not an issue with downloading outside of the USA.

If not, try info@motocalc.com.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions