Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)
Default Like the Mob, it drags you back in

Last summer I walked away from the hobby.
A number of factors led to this. I live in a city of 1.2 million. This city is also one of the largest ( in area ) cities in north america. But for all that, there are only 3 clubs to fly at.
One is on a reserve at the edge of the city but only allows for flying on Sundays.
Another is outside of the city nearly a 2 hour round trip from home. In addition this club is a pylon racing club and weekends are their practice days. The racers have flight priority and the noise is insane.The third is closer to home but also outside the city. this club is populated by the older gas is king, electrics are toys kind of crowd.
In addition, local bylaws prohibit in parks or schools yards any motorized ( Electric or gas )
vehicles. Even Airhogs are prohibited.
That being said, local bylaw officers tend not to enforce the rules when it comes to the micro stuff like the champ and um-T28 and the like. Which is nice of em, but the draw back is that you can almost never fly them when you have the time to do so cause this is a windy city. There is ALWAYS some wind.
So I got very frustrated not being able to fly more than maybe a hour or two per month.
Which led to compensating by building. Build planes. Get frustrated not being able to fly them. Build more planes. Etc. Etc. It got too expensive.
So I threw up my arms in defeat and sold everything I had. Every servo, radio, plane, motor, battery. Everything.
But. earlier this week while working ( drive truck in the city ) I stumbled upon a couple of teens teaching themselves to fly an HZ Supercub in a large empty lot next to the warehouse I was delivering to. I saw the were struggling with the basics so I went over to see if they needed help.
They had just put the plane together and were trying to get it off the ground with no luck.
I talked to them for a while about their problems and figured out the plane was badly out of trim. I spent a few moment getting the static trim set and they asked me to fly it to make sure it was ok.
So I did.
Aaaaand..... I'm back in it.

I still can't really afford it so I'm back but with a hobo budget.
Ordered a new radio ( Turnigy 9XR ) with Frsky module and receiver.
Next step will be deciding on what plane to start with.
Looks like I'm back.
Every time you think you're out, it drags you back in.

I should probably edit my signature. Hanger is empty.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Well, welcome back, Wrongway! At least it's not alcoholism! I thought of a suggestion if wind is a problem, but you went and got a Turnigy radio. The AS3X equipped planes are amazing in the winds. I have the MiG-15, and while everyone at the field is packing up due to the winds, I bring out the MiG! They also have their Carbon Cub and some micro warbirds with AS3X now. You just need a DSM2/DSMX (Spektrum/JR?) radio to fly them. I know they aren't the cheapest, but just an idea.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Glad to hear on your gettin' sucked back in!
that is awesome hearing about helping those kids!
I'd bet you gave them many hours of fun!

Being a rural Okie, I can't fathom 1.2million people in one place!

cr

LOL @ xm

1015375 "...the BUG.....It's Awesome"
Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Glad to hear you're back into the "passion"...I can relate to "hobo budget" thing....lol

Not sure about the post title though "Like the Mob, it drags you back in"......todays "mob" (if your referrring to the wise guy goomba's of old) operate a little different.........lol......yes, I have family who were in the "business"......can't say much more......lol...and some even own RC planes!

AMA 928214
Old 04-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (38)

You can run but you can't hide! Welcome back!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 04-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Well, welcome back, Wrongway! At least it's not alcoholism! I thought of a suggestion if wind is a problem, but you went and got a Turnigy radio. The AS3X equipped planes are amazing in the winds. I have the MiG-15, and while everyone at the field is packing up due to the winds, I bring out the MiG! They also have their Carbon Cub and some micro warbirds with AS3X now. You just need a DSM2/DSMX (Spektrum/JR?) radio to fly them. I know they aren't the cheapest, but just an idea.
Seems I read that there is a DSM2 module now available for the 9x radios. Looked on HK's site---here it is:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

Almost forgot--Welcome!!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
maxflyer

Friends: (0)

A friend dragged me back in about a year ago - for rubber free-flight really. First thing I discovered, I lost sight in one eye (age-related), and couldn't see well enough to cut a fine angle on a stick of balsa. Then I realized that, where I live there are virtually no free-flight sites left anyway. Wide, empty, rolling lands, stretching to the horizon...but now, every part of the planet seems fenced off by somebody. If I COULD find a site, it would entail long drives to get there. I want to be able to step out of my house and enjoy a few minutes of flying. I thought back to 10-12 years ago, when I had first dabbled in RC, cobbling together a couple of toy store foamy gliders and flying them out of my driveway at a previous residence - this was the pre-out runner era. An upcoming move interrupted things and I forgot about all of it until now. Now, realizing the balsa stick building days were over for me, I started thinking about RC again. Much had changed. We were now in an era of cheap outrunners and LIPO technology. RC gear was pretty affordable, and there was the whole foam thing. The equation gelled. Buy some RC gear and some sheet foam, hack together a couple of quick 3-ch trainers to develop some skills and familiarize myself with the new gear and technology, and then build more sophisticated stuff that would meet my needs: things that were small and maneuverable enough to run out the door with and fly from a road in my subdivision. With poor vision I can't let planes get too far away anyhow, and with electrics, most people don't even know I'm there (if I'm careful to keep stuff out of their yards). I'm not a joiner, so this solo routine suits me fine, and the new foam techniques allow me to build some creative and sophisticated airplanes if I get bored with the simple stuff. What's more, a home-crafted airplane can be built for a few bucks, so I don't have to stress out about dorking a $300 factory job every time I fly. Things change. Life is still good.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Welcome back Wrongway.

Let us know how you get along with the 9XR. It is a pretty new radio so feedback is always good.

Frsky is quality stuff so that would work out well.

Now, as to your first plane. What is your pleasure?

Kit? ARF? Receiver Ready?

Electric airplane? Electric Glider?

Do tell!

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Those are wonderful planes. I had the Geebee last spring. It did handle the wind very well if it was a steady wind. Flying around here you get pretty good with flying in a wind, but the biggest problem is dealing with gusts. That is the big problem around here. We are situated in the Foothills of the rockies at just the right latitude that the jetstream is always near us.
The really annoying thing is that at dawn or dusk, where most places the wind dies down allowing for some calm conditions, we get more wind. lol

Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
Those are wonderful planes. I had the Geebee last spring. It did handle the wind very well if it was a steady wind. Flying around here you get pretty good with flying in a wind, but the biggest problem is dealing with gusts. That is the big problem around here. We are situated in the Foothills of the rockies at just the right latitude that the jetstream is always near us.
The really annoying thing is that at dawn or dusk, where most places the wind dies down allowing for some calm conditions, we get more wind. lol
If those winds blow directly into the face of the mountains you should really take up slope soaring!

Slope Soaring - over the rainbow - may favorite slope video ever
http://www.dwhs.tnc.edu.tw/~andycheng/wmv/200502.wmv

Another video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODFvH8Pee4k

If you are a real speed freak there is always dynamic soaring at 400+ MPH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfoxjNg-eg0

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
Glad to hear on your gettin' sucked back in!
that is awesome hearing about helping those kids!
I'd bet you gave them many hours of fun!

Being a rural Okie, I can't fathom 1.2million people in one place!

cr

LOL @ xm
It's not as bad as it sounds. The Calgary metro area is nearly 2000 square miles. This is a huge city. Every time Calgary expands and collides with another town over the years it incorporates that town into the city proper. Most large metropolitan centers don't do it that way. In many mayor cities different municipalities but up against each other.
For example, in Vancouver you'll be driving down a city street and suddenly see a sign that says welcome to the city of Burnaby. it seems like it's one big city but in reality it's just a bunch of cities that have grown up against each other, each with it's own city hall, police and fire departments.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
Seems I read that there is a DSM2 module now available for the 9x radios. Looked on HK's site---here it is:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

Almost forgot--Welcome!!
LOL I forgot to mention I ordered one of those as well. Never know when you stumble upon a yard sale with some-ones discarded BNF planes up for sale.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Welcome back Wrongway.

Let us know how you get along with the 9XR. It is a pretty new radio so feedback is always good.

Frsky is quality stuff so that would work out well.

Now, as to your first plane. What is your pleasure?

Kit? ARF? Receiver Ready?

Electric airplane? Electric Glider?

Do tell!
As soon as the Transmitter arrives I,ll do a proper review of it. There are few objective reviews available on the 9XR.
Most I have read are by fan boys of the older 9X and are all focused on whether it is an improvement and if it can be modded etc. I'll do one for people like myself who don't care about modding it. For people who use it as is.

Digging through the basement last night looking for my tools and glue I did come across A couple of ARFs I hadn't built yet. Still boxed and forgotten about.
Both are e-flite arfs. One is the L4 Grasshopper 250 and the other is the fokker DVIII.
Looks like those will be the first to get airborne.

UPDATE:
I just found a nondescript box in the spare room that had a completed mini slow stick and a wilga 2000 in it. Where the hell are all these planes coming from?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
E-Challenged

We drove through Cal-gary area on our way to Banff. With all that open country, why so few club flying fields??

In Socal, electrics have moved into clubs/fields that have been mostly IC oriented. Many fly both electric and IC power. I fly in one of a few public park with a dedicated field that allows only electric and glider flying with AMA insurance and a $20 annual city permit fee. We are constantly concerned about loss of this field to competing sport activity or loss due to damage/injury from irresponsible non-permit fliers.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
We drove through Cal-gary area on our way to Banff. With all that open country, why so few club flying fields??

In Socal, electrics have moved into clubs/fields that have been mostly IC oriented. Many fly both electric and IC power. I fly in one of a few public park with a dedicated field that allows only electric and glider flying with AMA insurance and a $20 annual city permit fee. We are constantly concerned about loss of this field to competing sport activity or loss due to damage/injury from irresponsible non-permit fliers.
Yep. Tons of open space. And all private land. Every square inch of the land in southern alberta is farm or ranch land. The land that isn't is Native reserve land also used for ranching.
Provincially owned land is set aside as a provincial park and has prohibitions on motorized vehicle use of any kind including scale models.
City parks are relatively small but big enough for smaller planes. The problem lies in our climate. Our summers are so short that summer recreational activities are crammed in to a very short season. Every park is used for baseball, soccer , softball and the like every day of the summer. If there is a field, some group is using it. During the winter it is just too darn cold. Except during times where it warms up considerably called a chinook. It can go from -25 Celsius to + 10 Celsius in just a few hours. Which is great. Except that the cause of the chinook is a strong west wind that brings the warm are up from the south. Winds of around 30 to 40 mph.
I love this city but it can be a frustrating place to be bitten by the bug to fly.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Another reasonably priced radio from HK is the Orange T6 trans. I have the DX8 and this one is easier to program. To go with it, try the Orange 6 channel rcvrs. I have 20+ on the go and they all work fine. For wind you can't beat the Visionaire. It's a true BNF including the batt and charger. The gyros inside take care of the wind so it's a none event. For tight spots, the little Beast works great in the wind and also has the gyros for control. A lot of guys put their 40 size planes away when the wind comes up and I pull the Beast out. As far as helping the young lads out, maybe it's the makings of your own club. I'm 75 and it's helping the younger guys out that keeps me young. Great hobby.

Gord.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #17
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Another reasonably priced radio from HK is the Orange T6 trans. I have the DX8 and this one is easier to program. To go with it, try the Orange 6 channel rcvrs. I have 20+ on the go and they all work fine. For wind you can't beat the Visionaire. It's a true BNF including the batt and charger. The gyros inside take care of the wind so it's a none event. For tight spots, the little Beast works great in the wind and also has the gyros for control. A lot of guys put their 40 size planes away when the wind comes up and I pull the Beast out. As far as helping the young lads out, maybe it's the makings of your own club. I'm 75 and it's helping the younger guys out that keeps me young. Great hobby.
The mini stick I found earlier still has a dsm2 receiver in it so with the dsm2 module I ordered I'll be good to go.
My leaning towards Frsky module and receivers is for the future capabilities regarding telemetry. I Don't know where I'm going with this hobby this time around but I'd hate to swap everything over in the future if I start with dsm2 technology.
I suppose though that by picking up both a Frsky and a dsm2 module I'm kind of hedging my bets.

I've been looking at the visionaire but I do zero 3D flying. I lean much more towards scale flying. I get a real thrill out of flying something that looks and behaves like the real deal in the air. And with the price of gyro's coming way down, and even being incorporated directly into receivers now, that capability is now available in virtually any plane.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
...Digging through the basement last night looking for my tools and glue I did come across A couple of ARFs I hadn't built yet. Still boxed and forgotten about.
Both are e-flite arfs. One is the L4 Grasshopper 250 and the other is the fokker DVIII.
Looks like those will be the first to get airborne.

UPDATE:
I just found a nondescript box in the spare room that had a completed mini slow stick and a wilga 2000 in it. Where the hell are all these planes coming from?
LOL! You must have had the addiction bad! I have a few in boxes or partially done, but I'm pretty sure I have them all accounted for!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Welcome back WF to WF.

Keep looking, maybe you have more stashes hidden with treasures.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Welcome back WF to WF.

Keep looking, maybe you have more stashes hidden with treasures.
After searching high and low I have found no more treasures
Not too bad really. Here I thought I'd have to start from scratch and as it turns out I've got a few planes to get me going.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions