Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Griff Murphey

Friends: (0)
Default New Flyzone SE-5a Park Flyer

This is a very pleasing scale model in U.S. markings. The only problem with the finish was one underwing roundel decal is bubbled up, probably because the wing has so much undercamber. I imagine a couple of pinpricks and flowing in a bit of future floor wax would pull it down. There is quite a bit of decal film and it is very apparent on the flat OD finish of the model, and as an old plastic scale display modeler I guess that ought to bother me more than it does, but I think is is still a handsome model and certainly acceptable in this class of model.

The rudder needed some trim put in to straighten out but takeoff was fine, she took off straight and true at half throttle and began climbing and circling gently. In fact, it was flying so well as often happens, I somewhat panicked (lifelong modeler but new to rc at age 63 discounting 1and 2 ch disasters 40-50 yrs ago) and thought I better get her down. I cut the throttle back to about 1/4 and made a 3 point landing followed by the usual nose over.

I then had 4 more short hops, none did very well I made mistakes and augered in a couple of times. Had ground loops on takeoff then I realized why, the main LG had been knocked loose and was steering the airplane to the right. The LG is quite robust, being set up with fat pads that go into receptacles in the fuselage.
I glued them back with silicone sealer applied on a toothpick which is actually better than ACC as subsequent impacts tend not to pull structures out along with fuselage structure. These models are incredibly robust and forgiving of abuse - those who read my narrative of my Nieuport's demise will understand. I look at it this way... I got 4 months' use out of the N-17, that's $16 a month, cheap fun. Eventually I want to try electrifying a Guillow or Comet but I have to be a much more competent pilot first... If I ever get there.

This plane seems very docile with lots of wing area and lift and a bit more stable than the N-17. The SE-5 rudder is protected by the fin so it should be a good deal more robust than the Nieuport which I knocked the rudder off time after time particularly if I cartwheeled it.... OUCH! I am considering putting the nicely painted Pilot from the N.17 into the SE... Just not sure I trust him!

I highly recommend the new SE-5
Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1
Friends: (6)

Yes it is a great flyer and a detailed machine .
More postings here at http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68427

My SE5as maiden flight was 12-11-2012 , and it does fly very well .
I am so happy with the SE5a and the Nieuport also , both are great flyers .

Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
Griff Murphey

Friends: (0)

Oops. Old news. So sollee....

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era