Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
npowell28

Friends: (0)
Default Any full fuse scratch built DH mosquitos out there?

I've seen a fair few full fuse spitfires, hurricanes, p51's etc but i've yet to see a full fuselage DH mosquito that is made from depron foam. I'm talking scratch built not shop bought. Does anybody know of any?

Cheers all
Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

I think it's probably because of the double curvature around the nose section.It would be very hard to get that right.
Years ago,I built a Mosquito out of polyurethane building foam,and the whole nose section was solid laminated foam,shaped with rasps and sandpaper into the nose shape.Even then,I didn't get it quite right.It only lived for about 8 seconds,as the port engine cut just after take off at full throttle.It was the RCM plan of the later observation type.
I would happily build another "mossie" out of foam,now that electric power is doable.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
npowell28

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by DHC Beaver View Post
I think it's probably because of the double curvature around the nose section.It would be very hard to get that right.
Years ago,I built a Mosquito out of polyurethane building foam,and the whole nose section was solid laminated foam,shaped with rasps and sandpaper into the nose shape.Even then,I didn't get it quite right.It only lived for about 8 seconds,as the port engine cut just after take off at full throttle.It was the RCM plan of the later observation type.
I would happily build another "mossie" out of foam,now that electric power is doable.
I started to build one from a plan in RCME a year or so back. I increased its size by 50% but abandoned it about 1/2 way through as the weight was far too much. I will revisit it soon though. I've built a few models from depron and have learnt so much. I'm planning on a 1/10 scale with retracts. I should be able to get it down to about 80oz. I'm also planning to increase the the wing area a bit by making the tip chords a little wider and also a bit thicker. It'll be hardly noticeable and should make it fly so much better. Hey i would have thought you could have restored yours after the crash. I thought you Kiwi's were good at that. Just thinking of the full size mozzie that has just been restored.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

I would have rebuilt it if I thought it was fixable,but there weren't many recognizable pieces left over.
I think the biggest problem with aircraft like the Mozzie is always going to be getting the c.g. right.But at least with electrics,you can shove the battery right up front.
I'll be happy to let you build a foam mosquito,then once you've finished ,I can pinch all your good ideas
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

I would have fixed it if there had been any recognizable pieces left over.It went in at near full speed.
Looking forward to a build report on yours.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies