Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Lost_Horizon

Friends: (0)
Default Aileron Reversing

Hello, i just got a flight simulator to practice flying before I buy a plane. All the controls feel natural to me except the aileron. When I move the aileron control stick to the right and pull up on the elevator it banks left. This feels backwards to me. I reversed the aileron servo on my radio and it feels more natural. Now if I want to bank right I can move my aileron to the right. Should I learn the correct way or do what feels comfortable and keep it reversed? I don't want to develop a bad habit. Does any one else fly with reversed ailerons?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Lost_Horizon View Post
Hello, i just got a flight simulator to practice flying before I buy a plane. All the controls feel natural to me except the aileron. When I move the aileron control stick to the right and pull up on the elevator it banks left. This feels backwards to me. I reversed the aileron servo on my radio and it feels more natural. Now if I want to bank right I can move my aileron to the right. Should I learn the correct way or do what feels comfortable and keep it reversed? I don't want to develop a bad habit. Does any one else fly with reversed ailerons?

Yeah, on every full scale plane, and every RC model, moving the transmitters control stick to the right will result in the model banking to the right. And, moving the transmitter control stick to the left will result in the model banking to the left. (If the model banks left with the aileron stick moved to the right, you've got it backwards.)

And, pulling the elevator control stick back, toward you, will result in the model going into a climb.

Back in the early 1960's, I dorked an RC plane when the pilot hand launched his 45 glow engine powered model. Pulled back on the stick, the model dove toward the ground. He thought the model should climb out when the elevator stick is pushed FORWARD! He was mad at me for months afterwards, even though he'd set up his model wrong.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
Lost_Horizon

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yeah, on every full scale plane, and every RC model, moving the transmitters control stick to the right will result in the model banking to the right. And, moving the transmitter control stick to the left will result in the model banking to the left. (If the model banks left with the aileron stick moved to the right, you've got it backwards.)

And, pulling the elevator control stick back, toward you, will result in the model going into a climb.

Back in the early 1960's, I dorked an RC plane when the pilot hand launched his 45 glow engine powered model. Pulled back on the stick, the model dove toward the ground. He thought the model should climb out when the elevator stick is pushed FORWARD! He was mad at me for months afterwards, even though he'd set up his model wrong.
Thanks for the help. Im glad i caught the reversed ailerons early. How does a flight simulator compare to real rc flying? If im comfortable with take offs, landings and banking without crashing will i be able to do the same in real life with low wind and a properly tuned plane? The basic seem to be pretty easy on a sim atleast although it can get confusing sometimes when i cant see the ground
Old 05-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

The flight sims do fairly well on the physics of flight, except wind effects. In general they give constant speed wind in a fixed direction or advanced sims can have slightly random direction and speed, but none does well at simulating turbulence from the wind crossing over obsticals.

The sims are excellent at teaching basic flying and can be good at teaching some advanced maneuvers but you have to realize that the sim starts with a perfect airplane every time... and no real model is perfect.

Actually flying is just not quite the same.

You noted the perspective issue and I generally set my sim to show the ground all the time to reduce that issue. This makes it easier to find the runway in the sim.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

As mentioned, sim's are great at developing muscle memory...particularly if your'e intent is to learn more difficult meneuvers related to stick control of acrobatic flight without the fear or expense of beating up your model.......but, since every plane or heli on a sim is "perfectly" tuned, you'll never get the true feeling of your craft's habits.

As far as artificial environments, the three most popular, higher end sim's....Clearview, Phoenix, Real Flight....all have settings that change wind speed direction, gust rates, time of day, temp, backgrounds, scale, pilot view perspective and a few other tricks....all of which are nice bonuses but nothing like the real thing. (the digital photo imaging is pretty amassing though)

It has been my experience that heli guys tend to use sim's more often after they have become experienced pilots, than the experienced plane pilots. Specfically due to the many difficult, slightly stationary maneuvers that can be practiced with a heli on a sim....outside of those 3D plank guys!

All in all, a good sim is pratical and a good way to keep the thumbs active when conditions outside keep your craft in the hanger....

AMA 928214
Old 05-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
haris pilton

I haven't been into flying for that long and flying on phoenix rc has helped me keep my buddy's foamie in one piece when I'm practicing in real life.
Real flying is more challenging ofcourse but when you're practicing on the sim it really helps to fly in windy conditions. Like I said ,I'm still learning but without phoenixRC I would have crashed my buddy's model many times. I like to think flying on a sim has given me confidence.
To answer your question: I don't fly with reversed ailerons.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Tepid Pilot

View Tepid Pilot's Gallery1

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
He might have set it up wrong but the ultimate responsibility is with the pilot. Your friend was not the pilot, you were. You should have checked the controls prior to the launch.

TP
Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post
He might have set it up wrong but the ultimate responsibility is with the pilot. Your friend was not the pilot, you were. You should have checked the controls prior to the launch.

TP
Yeah, probably right. That friend had started the engine, tried to hand launch himself, and gave me his transmitter at the last second.

Those were the days when the receiver had tubes, and also used reeds for all servo commands.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
Lost_Horizon

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
The flight sims do fairly well on the physics of flight, except wind effects. In general they give constant speed wind in a fixed direction or advanced sims can have slightly random direction and speed, but none does well at simulating turbulence from the wind crossing over obsticals.

The sims are excellent at teaching basic flying and can be good at teaching some advanced maneuvers but you have to realize that the sim starts with a perfect airplane every time... and no real model is perfect.

Actually flying is just not quite the same.

You noted the perspective issue and I generally set my sim to show the ground all the time to reduce that issue. This makes it easier to find the runway in the sim.
I adjusted my flight sim to always show the ground and it helped a ton! This is a lot more fun now, thanks!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Lost_Horizon

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
As mentioned, sim's are great at developing muscle memory...particularly if your'e intent is to learn more difficult meneuvers related to stick control of acrobatic flight without the fear or expense of beating up your model.......but, since every plane or heli on a sim is "perfectly" tuned, you'll never get the true feeling of your craft's habits.

As far as artificial environments, the three most popular, higher end sim's....Clearview, Phoenix, Real Flight....all have settings that change wind speed direction, gust rates, time of day, temp, backgrounds, scale, pilot view perspective and a few other tricks....all of which are nice bonuses but nothing like the real thing. (the digital photo imaging is pretty amassing though)

It has been my experience that heli guys tend to use sim's more often after they have become experienced pilots, than the experienced plane pilots. Specfically due to the many difficult, slightly stationary maneuvers that can be practiced with a heli on a sim....outside of those 3D plank guys!

All in all, a good sim is pratical and a good way to keep the thumbs active when conditions outside keep your craft in the hanger....
I'm learning on Phoenix sim with hopes to fly aerobatics and 3D one day. I'm gonna start practicing with wind from now on I think to prepare for real life. It‘s quite a bit more difficult to fly in wind with a foamie but i guess ill have to deal with it for a while since im gonna get a foam plane to learn on for easy repairs.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners