Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)
Default New Apprentice S with SAFE technology

Went to E-Flite's site for some other info, and was surprised to see this!

E-Flite Apprentice S

New graphics, bigger tires(and narrower gear?), and that new SAFE training technology which looks great. My original Apprentice (my first plane) is still flying so I won't be getting one of these, but thought I throw it out here for anyone looking for their first plane.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization

I just received an e-mail from Horizon Hobby on "SAFE"

SAFE

and

http://www.flysaferc.com/

It's also on a Quad they are selling. Looks interesting.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
ManiacDane

Friends: (0)

this trainer is amazing we had a chance to fly it today... i'm going to post a thread with video from the flight
Old 06-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Welcome, ManiacDane. I'll be looking for it.

Also, they have a supposedly easy to install float set for this Apprentice, too. Doesn't drop into the old one, though.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
NFA Fabrication

Friends: (1)

I just gave my original Apprentice (My first plane) a tune up/lookover to get it ready for flight soon. I just finished building a 49.5" Electrifly Edge 540 with the AR635 AS3X receiver. I'd be tempted to try and get my hands on the new receiver but I also saw that the DX5E has been altered to a 3 pos. Ch5, instead of the original 2 like mine was. I wonder how proprietary that receiver is, and if maybe it could be used with my DX8? Or if that receiver will even be available separately. I like gadgetry, and this is pretty interesting...
Old 06-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I was curious too, so I checked out the manual. It includes instructions on how to use SAFE with I think all the Spektrum tx's, even the Dx5e's with only a 2 position channel 5 switch. When used on those kind of tx's, there are switched on the SAFE rx that let you select which 2 levels of safe you can choose from. But the Dx8 isn't an issue with a 3-pos switch. Check out pages 22 & 23 of the ApprenticeS manual for the details.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
NFA Fabrication

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I was curious too, so I checked out the manual. It includes instructions on how to use SAFE with I think all the Spektrum tx's, even the Dx5e's with only a 2 position channel 5 switch. When used on those kind of tx's, there are switched on the SAFE rx that let you select which 2 levels of safe you can choose from. But the Dx8 isn't an issue with a 3-pos switch. Check out pages 22 & 23 of the ApprenticeS manual for the details.
It would seem like a nice feature when you get the occasional sneeze attack while flying, and could just hit the "Fly level button" until you were back in action I wish it would have been optional on the AR635!!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
dereckbc

Friends: (3)

Howdy xmech. I have a new Apprentice S with SAFE. The plane is only available as RTF and comes with a DX5. On the DX5 is a 3-way switch to select Beginner > Intermediate > Experienced modes, and a momentary toggle switch aka PANIC button. I think the 3-way switch on ch 5 is normally used for flaps on a 5-channel plane or glider?

I also got a DX7s dirt cheap and it is easy to program as all you have to do is make a two Switch Select changes:

Trainer = Aux 1 Reverse (This is the Panic function)
Flap = Gear (3-0way switch to select Beginner, Intermediate, experienced.)

One caveat if you use a DX7s programmed as above and use it as a MASTER to train someone, The DX7s Panic Button reverts back to Trainer button. Should not be a problem because a experienced instructor should not need a Panic function.

Of course you can move the Panic Function to another switch, but it will be a two way switch and you have to toggle to recover, then toggle back to get control again. I prefer a button as I think it is more logical and easier to use IMO

I love the plane though. Very forgiving, but as I learned today do not fly it in wind above 10 mph on your own if you are a beginner. Fortunately had an instructor there to bail me out and land it for me. It was kind of harry. Also had a little trouble getting back to the field when I got it too far down wind. It looked really odd when the instructor landed it because it was going backwards.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #9
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Welcome to the 'light side', Dereckbc! Thanks for sharing the info.

I enjoy giving new people buddy box time on my old version Apprentice, and it's amazing how fast they get it WAY far away! It'll come to you in time, and then you'll be taking her out in the wind for the fun of it! The touch and goes are the best, and I can say running a battery of touch and goes through her now and then when the wind's gusting helps me with landings in my other planes.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
dereckbc

it's amazing how fast they get it WAY far away!
Yes it was interesting especially when I turned down wind in 20 knot wind. It would get down the range real quick, and then crawl back going up wind. Fortunately I have a great instructor. After that flight we used his plane a 60 model gasser mad of wood. It handled the wind pretty good a bit fast for my experience level but still easy to fly.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #11
bkvanbek

I just got one. But I have a DX7s radio, I was told by the store that the flaps are the panic switch, but what switch is used for the skill level?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #12
Turner
Super Contributor

Flaps? The apprentice has no flaps. Look in your Apprentice manual. It has setup for your DX7s.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #13
dereckbc

Originally Posted by bkvanbek View Post
I just got one. But I have a DX7s radio, I was told by the store that the flaps are the panic switch, but what switch is used for the skill level?
I think you were told incorrectly. but with the DX7s there is no real right or wrong way. However I think yous salesman must be sniffing the model glue. The Flap switch is the only 3-way switch on the DX7s. MODE Slector is on Channel 5 which is normally the GEAR channel, but you set it up as FLAPS in the menus on the Dx7s

Here is the best config I came up with. Go to SWITCH SELECT MENU and set the SWITCHES to the following:

Trainer = AUX 1 Reverse (This will be your PANIC BUTTON)
FLAP = GEAR. The 3-way Flap Switch is now your Beginner > Intermediate > Experienced Mode selector switch. Gear is Channel 5
Gear = Inh
Mix = Inh
Knob = Inh.

Then go into Servo Setup and REVERSE AUX 1 switch. Failure to to do this means you have have to push and Hold the TRAINER (PANIC) BUTTON in for normal flight. You do not want that. You want to push the Trainer button for PANIC, and then release for normal flight. Also be aware if you use the DX7s as a Master in a Buddy Box. Trainer Button is lost for Panic on the DX7s. Should not be an issue with a trainer. Otherwise just one of the other 19 setups. The SLAVE DX5 will still have Panic.

What I like even better with the DX7s is now you have 3 separate Hi/Lo RANGE Switches one for each; Rudder, Elevator, and Ailerons. On the DX5 that comes with the plane is just one Hi/Lo switch that controls all three. Now you can can select them in any combination you want.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
bkvanbek

okay, I set it up as suggested. How do I test this before getting airborne?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
dereckbc

okay, I set it up as suggested. How do I test this before getting airborne?
Took me a while to figure that one out myself. But figured it out.

Place Flap Switch in Beginner mode Up or position 0. Turn on ESC and TX. Let the plane Initialize. Then pick the plane up, then roll and pitch the plane and observe Ailerons and elevator. As you pitch the plane nose up, elevator should pitch down and vice versa. Roll the plane, and the Ailerons should counter in opposite direction.

Then switch FLAP Switch to Experienced mode or fully down position #2 and repeat test. Control surfaces should not do anything.

To make sure you have Panic programmed correctly on pre-flight is on the DX7s select Monitor Mode. Look at Aux 1. In Normal position should be all the way to left or -100%. Push Panic Button and look for it to go all the way to the right or +100%.

You can also verify Flap Switch in Monitor looking at the GEAR CAHNNEL 5 . 0 (Beginner) should be all the way right or +100%. Middle position 0%, and 2 position all the way left or -100%.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #16
bkvanbek

Well I flew it without knowing for sure. But all went great! Love the plane and SAFE, I didn't need the panic button, but tested it and it worked, but so did the "beginner" mode. I tried "intermediate" mostly up high.
Love this plane!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #17
dereckbc

Well I flew it without knowing for sure. But all went great! Love the plane and SAFE, I didn't need the panic button, but tested it and it worked, but so did the "beginner" mode. I tried "intermediate" mostly up high.
Love this plane!
Sorry I did not get back to you in time. Glad all went well.

Hey can you do a test experiment for me please? Next time you are out to fly your Apprentice, put it in Beginner Mode, and make a few landings or low passes with throttle cut. What I want to know is if your motor completely shuts off or not. Mine does not until it touches down when in Beginner Mode.

THX

Dereck
Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
bkvanbek

I have had the prop quit spinning when gliding, but you have to almost stall, I think motor spins easily with air flowing over the prop.

But I had a problem last night that was a bigger problem this morning. The control surfaces lock all the way one way before flight. I switched the plane off and back on and everything was fine, I thought I read something about being too close with the radio so I did not worry about it.

This morning I took off and the plane rolled left and crashed. It happened so fast I thought it was me. I took off again and used up a whole 2200 mah battery. Put in a 1300 mah and went to take off and as soon as I hit the throttle the control surface lock right and I aborted before leaving the ground. WTF?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I don't know if this is a solid answer for your rolling over problem, but it can be a problem anyways. You are really pushing the limits using those batteries, especially the 1300! I forgot exactly how many amps the plane pulls, but it has a 30 Amp esc, so let's use that, since we want to keep things conservative. If you're using a 20C 1300mAh battery, it's meant to max out at 23 amps. If 25C, then 32.5 amps max if it's perfect. It's quite possible you're experiencing voltage sag when drawing such a big load from the battery, and you could get a rx brownout. And with SAFE being new, who knows what low voltages can cause? The 2200 battery could be OK, but just know you are pushing it harder than the recommended battery, and if it's a weak battery, possibly the same thing could happen.

Re-reading your post, I would suspect this is exactly what happened with your 1300 battery. If you're not familiar with battery sizing, as well as the proper care and feeding of lipo's, let me know and I'll give you a link for some good reading, right here on WF.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
bkvanbek

I flew for 35 minutes with the 3200mah battery and 25 minutes with the 2200. But you could be right although I talked to tech support and E-flite and they didn't think it was the battery and are sending me a new receiver (and cowl).

I put the 3200 in and controls work, will fly tonight if the wind dies down.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #21
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Good they're sending you that stuff. Those are some loooooong flights! Are you running the batteries to LVC? It's your call, but just be aware that will significantly decrease the life of your batteries.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #22
quietguy

Just joined this particular forum... I think we talked at another site, xmech2k.

Nonetheless, I've got the new Apprentice S but have just had one flight thus far.

Love it.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #23
dereckbc

Finally caught a break in the wind today, dead calm this morning and got a chance to run through two batteries before work. Also received my new replacement receiver.

If you trim the plane as the book suggest to fly straight and level at 50 to 60% throttle, the plane pretty much lands itself assuming you are coming in at the at the correct glide slope with throttle cut. About 2 feet above the ground, flare, and the plane lands like a bird. Done properly and it wil not roll more than a foot or two after it touches down. Heck with practice and calm winds you can snatch it out of the air just before it stalls.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #24
quietguy

My one flight, I had two very bouncy landings - probably came in too hot and didn't flare.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #25
bkvanbek

I also got a new receiver, but have not put it in, my plane is not acting up. Because of Safe I think it is best to keep the plane "off" until the plane is set on the ground for take off.

Mine also does not completely cut motor power in beginner mode, do you think it should.

Very durable plane too, more so than the super cub. I have a rough lawn or gravel driveway to land on, and it soaks it up well.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners