Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)
Default superfly and minifly build,need a few measurements for verticals.

hello to all wattflyers and superfly owners. i just opened the box from superfly and was very surprised with what i discovered....i ordered the superfly back on 5/10/13.

Jeff the owner had important appointments to be made so shipping took 3 weeks. i really felt bad for Jeff and let him know i could wait however long for shipping. i heard from him that things went well for his dad and i received my superfly today.....the surprise is the teensiifly he added for free.thats very cool!!! i'll be buying again from superfly for sure,maybe the hyper flee overpowered for speed runs in the ball park.

now to ask Jeff at headsuprc to send me the correct micro motor for the minifly as theres nothing that small in the storage drawers of the workshop[love a good reason to hit the buy button again.

heres where i need help......i knew this was the kit[foam only] superfly since there was afire at the superfly shop/warehouse, so i don't have the template for the vertical fins to cut freehand out of the extra epp or the angle template for which to set the angle.

if someone could give me the measurements of the bottom to top and width front to back of the top and bottom of the verticals for the superfly I'll go at it and build these Lil planes in a heart beat. i watched a 8 part video on youtube on assembling the superfly with hot glue and am expecting to be building Saturday if it's still blowing winds 10-15mph with higher gusts.

I'll do a fun post on my assembly of the superfly here at wattflyer,mostly looking forward to painting it and flying.......any help will be greatly appreciated.thanks, stu

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 113.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	169143

Name:	Picture 114.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	169144

Name:	Picture 115.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	169145

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (38)

Stuart, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll get measurements on them this evening. I thought he had files with the directions for them on the site someplace...

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 06-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

that would be great don!! i read your review of the superfly and figured a pm might be on order to you.but as always ,your ready to help out. i figured I'd do something close to size if needed but will be glad to get measurement from you instead.

read a bunch of reviews,forums,but the best is a series of 6min youtube vids on the superflys build. very informative step by step.

i plan on trying a 2200kv with 30ampesc and 3cell 1300mah 30c lipo. i have 7x6eapc props in the workshop but certainly can get larger 8inch if needed at the lhs.

as for the mini,i research the power requirements for excess speed and contact Jeff at headsuprc tonight. if all goes well I'll be painting the superflys Saturday or sunday..........or if all goes really well,I'll be flying all weekend and not doing any building.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

you are right don,the superflys instructions are at the online site.this is superflys way to go green..... i have the measurements now and can get started.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

It will fly fine with radically redesigned vertical stabs. TLAR (That Looks About Right) works. You can redesign the fins to add rudders as per the F-27Q.

The only really critical thing is the CG. For best performance there is a very narrow acceptable CG range.

These were originally intended for brushed motors. Brushless can save a little weight and greatly increase performance.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

They are a blast to fly Stuart. Glad you found his instructions and saved me a trip out to the barn!

Don
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks again don,i should be starting it tonight,maybe finishing it tonight....no rush though,i want to figure out a cool paint scheme for the top surface. I'll be sure to post a few pictures.

just glad to get some flying in this morning,pretty windy but the airfoils edge is a plane I'm willing to risk and the edf stinger is great in the wind. the superfly will out perform both those foamies when it come to survivability...lol.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #8
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

this planes a blast to build,goes together so quickly and when i did practice hot glue runs on scrap foam,i couldn't believe how solid the glue holds. this is my first foamy build and th epp is crazy easy to work and cut. not i almost forgot to take pictures.

the picture of the burn on my finger was caused by my scraping of a run of glue down the edges of the verticals and getting a blurb on my finger......tried to wipe it off quick...ouch!!!skin came off as quickly as wiping of the hot gluesheeesh.

i have hands like sandpaper with good old carpenter callous so another cut sure won't slow me down getting some florescent spray paint....loven this superfly.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 120.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	169154

Name:	Picture 121.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	169155

Name:	Picture 122.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	169156

Name:	Picture 123.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	169157

Name:	Picture 124.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	169158

Name:	Picture 125.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	169159

Name:	Picture 126.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	169160

Old 06-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

got a little more done today,melted out the openings for the servos and also am setting the motor stick mount into the foam so i can mount the esc and rx under the canopy which still needs painting. i guess it's being so windy today had it's plus side. i really didn't expect perfection using spray paint outside in the wind...lol.clearly i got the imperfection you would expect painting in the wind.

i love the way the wires will be buried in the foam,and the throws as set up right now is way to much.......theres never to much!! a few pictures even though its not fully magicmarkered yet,staples sells markers florescent in color that works perfectly on foam that you would think it was stenciled or pinstriped.the paint is dry so i have to darken the lines and hot glue the rest together. should be done monday night .

building the superfly is a blast...flying it should be even better.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 127.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	169183

Name:	Picture 128.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	169184

Name:	Picture 130.jpg
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	169185

Name:	Picture 129.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	169186

Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

Great paint job!

Don
Old 06-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

finished..... i got carried away with markers,so now it looks like a bad pizza....

but looks does not matter,it's flying that really counts.i have it balanced with a 3cell 1300mah 30 lipo from turnigy.the motor is a 2200kv cheapy with a 30amp esc. i plane on cutting the foam off the esc so it cools better. i also need to find the right prop as the 7x4 isn't giving enough push for what i hope to be a faster superfly that also flys slow. perhaps an 8X4 apc but it weighs considerably more and is very solid compared to the 7x4 apc. i have to charge up the lipo and use the wattsup meter. the superfly is also heavy at 437grams auw....scrap that paint off,this delta is going to fly like a rock.

i'll shorten the esc battery wires,they were already soldered on for a parkjet setup and it's to long. the throws i took pictures of are at 85%endpoints to protect the servos from jamming

so heres the final pictures and next up will be a video using my keychain camera on the hat.

don,could you share what motor[kv],esc, battery,and with what prop your using? i may need to replace my setup with lighter equipment. going to fly it as is first and see how she does.

edit at 11:25pm
i went to the workshop to run a battery through the SF when i dicovered the 7x4 apc e prop was on backwards........yalllsa!!!!!!!!!extreem power!!wants to friggen fly like a screaming demon! now i'm wondering if the control surfaces will flutter under the stress she's going to be under at wot? this bird will vertical at less than 1/2 throttle. i may be ok to use a 2cell after all if the 3 cells to much....something to research tuesday.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 131.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	169201

Name:	Picture 132.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	169202

Name:	Picture 135.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	169203

Name:	Picture 137.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	169204

Name:	Picture 139.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	169205

Name:	Picture 140.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	169206

Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

the superfly maiden today for one flight.my friend tossed it for me and it wobbled and i let it go down rather than fight it aloft. second toss was flawless and she flew great. i had it trimmed and screaming around but heard a single glitch in the motor...so kept flying. then got the motor cutout and landed it nicely on the field. p/u and could see the esc smoking.

2 thing could be the cause of the toasted esc.first is the foam that covers it may have caused it to over heat and fry. second reason is this motor assembly was used on a hk pkjet and was seriously abused flying wot a lot. so the esc is now going to be changed and being left out in the open. picture to follow will show plastic zip ties holding it in place and i'm removing some of the shrink wrap around the heatsink area to assist in cooling. all in all ,a great day flying!!!4 flights on the electrifly edge 540t at 10mins each flight and 4 flights on the foamy edge. without a doubt the best flying for me this year!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

quick picture of the esc relocation. yes..it is exposed more but the height of the battery canopy and the height of the verticals should protect it when landing upside down on grass.

i also repainted the front end of the sf cause i didn't like the bad pizza topping look. batteries are recharged and also the keychain cameras so i hope to get flights off my windy day flayers like the stinger and sf.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 141.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	169290

Name:	Picture 142.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	169291

Name:	Picture 143.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	169292

Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!just got back from some late evening flying at the local soccer field and flew the superfly 3times and the foamy edge 3 times.[spent the whole day at a family chapel picnic]

i flew the superfly last weekend and it was like a bucking bronco which i attributed to the 15mph wind. reality was i had her way to nose heavy. switch out the 1300mah3cell 40c for 1000mah 3cell 30c and rebalanced to th 9 1/2" from the front back....she flew fantastic with the exception of overheating the battery and esc. they were hot,but not burning or puffed ...just hot.

i have to bore a hole in the front foam canopy to cool the battery better and also raise the esc off the foam to get more air under/around it. i have it mounted on top of the foam canopy just in front of the motor so should be get air flow. i love the way the prop sounds,pure power!! the kind that gets the heart racing on low speed runs. can't wait to learn the slow flying nose up attitude down low.

this is the perfect park flyer as it turns in its own length a snap 360*..all in all,i just had the best flying time this year and it definitely rates a row of laughs and smiles.

!

Old 06-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #15
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Stuart sounds like you fell in love all over again!

I am gogo gaga over a plane myself funny how that happens.

Nice job with the colors. I started one with 9mm depron from plans on RCG, and I still haven't finished it yet. It's all put together just need to get the servo's and motor mounted. I'll get it done eventually.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #16
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

put a few flights in this evening at a local soccer field. fields around were loaded with baseball games. a guy came running up and has a grin on his face from watching me burn holes in the sky with the superfly.

you've all seen the look as we all had the look when we first got the itch to buy our first plane. he says"i got to have one...where do i buy that!!"

he didn't look the least bit discouraged when i told him it would be to much to learn on the superfly but it is nearly indestructible. gotta wonder if he'll go search the net for wattflyer forum as i suggested to find the best first plane to learn on ...and buy the superfly anyway.

all in all,a great night to get 3 flights in,to bad i rushed out with the wifes car and didn't load up the airfoils edge too. then i wouldn't have had to wait for the superfly to cool down in between each flight.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #17
Murman
Dumb-Thumbin' since 2007

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
...he didn't look the least bit discouraged when i told him it would be to much to learn on the superfly but it is nearly indestructible.
The Superfly may not be the best trainer, but it's what I used. Almost 8 years ago, I was that guy. I saw a video and just had to have one. I crashed it over and over again, but kept trying. I now use the same Superfly I trained on to fly combat at SEFF.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #18
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

the superfly may not be the best trainer,but she sure does fly sweet! glad i'm long past beginners flight,i crashed a plastic/foam skyfly a million times teaching my self how to fly it.

I've been using the simulator to get my inverted flying to be second nature to my thumbs the last few weeks.[been trying hard on the real thing]

i crashed a 540t edge a few weeks ago and from using the simulator i realize i added down elevator when rolling out of inverted...should have switched to up elevator but was flying to low on a wide turn and screwed up my up/downs for split second... a serious wipout.

so i took what I've learned from the sim, and just got back from the soccer field and the superfly was doing nice smooth figure 8s inverted and staying level with ease on the sticks...now thats what i needed to feel with the 540t which flys beautifully. also being on an empty soccer field helps. no fellow pilots to critique mt efforts.

the other thing i noticed to night since it's a cool night[75deg's],the ssuperflys trim was so much more stable then the last few flight when it was mid 90's in the sunny club field. does epp really get that soft in high temps. the other thing was the elervons weren't even with each other in the heat...but tonight i trimmed them level to each other and she flew perfectly. also the motor and esc are much cooler! in the heat the esc and motor were super hot.

the batteries did get warm tonight but no puffing and to setting them on the cool metal bleacher chilled them right quick.

lastly,behind me is the town swim club,i was flying all around and when doing rocket like verticals[superflys way over powered] i could hear the kids all saying WOW! look at that that!couldn't help but throw in a bunch of verticals to awe the crowd behind the pools fence. i should be ashamed showing off.............nah!!!! stu

Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #19
Murman
Dumb-Thumbin' since 2007

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post

the other thing i noticed to night since it's a cool night[75deg's],the ssuperflys trim was so much more stable then the last few flight when it was mid 90's in the sunny club field. does epp really get that soft in high temps. the other thing was the elervons weren't even with each other in the heat...but tonight i trimmed them level to each other and she flew perfectly. also the motor and esc are much cooler! in the heat the esc and motor were super hot.
EPP does get softer and warps in the heat. If you don't store your Superfly completely flat, it will require additional trimming each time you fly it.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i am really enjoying the superfly!!!it flys so easy and the hand toss launch is always a success. dopplered it today and average speed was 54mph. not fast in most circuits but pretty quick for whipping around a baseball diamond.

went to the club field at 2pm and only one other pilot was there.good to have company plus we always need another person present.there were pilots on the helie side and they're a great bunch who let me toss the superfly on their side of the field when no other plane pilots are on the bigger field.i will be posting on the need for speed thread next.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

pretty windy here at the field today,chose to fly the superfly only. it flys great on windy days and i got 6 flights today....only reason i left was the rain started and stopped a few times.

note when flying down wind on a windy day[10-15mph] and having the superfly over powered for speed and vertical rocket climbout...she will deform in shape when turning during a high speed run and it's very easy to loose control. i made a low wot pass down the field and at the end went to pull up. she rolled to the left and nosed right in. poop happens.

epp foam....0 damage!!!I've run this bird into the ground several times and she still flys like new,looks that way to. if i didn't have the esc shrinkwrap cut away for cooling reasons she might have flown when it was lightly raining.....nahhhhh.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

what a difference a week can make for flying

this Saturday i got 13 flights in.....outstanding day at the field. 5 flight on the extra 300s and save it twice from flying to low and slow but need to keep the power up on those turns down low.[tip stalls easily]

2 stinger flight uneventful as she flys wot 90% of the 4 mins and is relatively slow.

1 flight on the skimmer before leaving the field,real high flying and plenty of lift for a 20 min flight with 3 power up to altitude during the 20 mins.

early on flying the super fly was a blast as always.i get 3 mins and the aerobatics are so easy that it makes me look like a good pilot...,that was up to the point when i was doing a slow roll out of inverted and trying to fly level down low[50 ft up] and tossed in down elevator....guess what i learned, the superflys epp foam isn't indestructible...lol..,she got the nose ripped off past the canopy,the wing has fractures and cracks every where and the battery compartment area will need plenty of glue.

the super fly is gaining a lot of weight and may need replacing soon,shes way to much fun to fly recklessly while practicing different move and recovery from dumb thumbs.[thats reckless to the superfly,not reckless to fellow club members].

i love flying the superfly in hover and level out to speed runs. the wing can't fly at top speed in a turn or the wing deforms and she can turn opposite of input from the TX. I'll post the surgery picture later today since the winds are 10 to 15 ,plus it's a good day to spend with my wife and her new dog Sammy. time to get ready for church and praise the Lord. stu

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings