Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)
Default Fasst compatible Frysky rx with Dynam retracts

I have a problem. In setting up my new Dynam Spitfire, all has gone well except when I went to test the retracts. Nothing. Nada. Not a groan or a hum. Like they don't exist.

I unplugged and replugged. even switched Y connectors. No go. Not even a hum. Then I took a spare servoless retract I had in my box and plugged it into Channel 5. Worked fine. So the rx is good. Well. maybe. I even tried re-setting the esc. Nothing. Seems like I saw something similar in my Dynam C-310 and then rememeber what Basil at Grayson had mentioned.

So I went ahead and pulled the futaba rx out of the 310 and tried it on the Spit. Works fine. Then I installed the Frysky on the C-310 and only one of the mains works and the nose wheel and other main does not work. Weird.
Tried re-binding. No help.

Been using Frysky's in other planes , some with retracts(DH-88) without any issues. Something's amiss here. The Frysky fasst compatible 7 channel rx should work with any servoless retracts.

Am I overlooking something? Any Futaba guys please chime in.

Am I stuck buying genuine Futaba's? Is this a Dyanam / Futaba / Frysky thing?

-Hawk

P.S. Mike(rcers), yes I know . I should have bought your futaba rx -LOL

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 06-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Try extending the limits or changing the offset/subtrim on the retract channel.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks P,

Worth a try. This thing has me scratching my head. Why do they work with a futaba rx and not the frysky? Conspiracy theory- Futaba is probably working with the NSA and found out I was using a knock-off rx. So, they sent me a retract virus over the 2.4 frequency. -LOL

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

One possible reason, I need to check it out when I get the time. The magnitude of the pulse sent to the retract servo may be to low. I think the max amplitude out of many of the 2.4GHz recievers is only about 2.5 volts and the retract servo may require at least 3 or more volts amplitude, especially if it is being powered by a 5 cell battery or regulated voltage that exceeds the normal 4 cell voltage. I know that some of the older servos refuse to work reliably with 2.4 for that very reason, the amplitude of the signal to the servo must exceed 1/2 the voltage applied to the servo on the power bus.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks,

I saw a post on HK from a guy who had the exact same problem with the Frysky fasst rx and the Dynam retracts. He mentioned something about re-flashing but didn't say how to go about this. What is re-flashing? He said once he did this, the problem went away.

-Hawk

Old 06-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Most Frsky products can be reflashed with new software if you have the proper interface. Check the Frsky website. Most likely you issue has to do with the magnitude of the signal or where the center is.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I'm not sure what the term re-flashed actually means and what the interface might be. Not as though there's a USB port. On the Dynam Cessna 310, I actually have an external UBEC installed to help with the load.

So, I tried setting the end point for channel 5 at 120% and then at 140%, the max on the futaba 6ex. No luck. On the Dynam Cessna 310, with the Frysky rx, only one of the mains will work. I have a lot of Frysky fasst rx's as they are good and alot less expensive than genuine futaba. No problem with the Art-tech retracts. Mmmm. It's almost fourth down.

I sent both Frysky and Dynam tech departments a message.

-Hawk

Old 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

P,

I tried a fasst compatible Corona rx and was getting the same condition. Then I reversed the channel and it worked. So, here I thought I had a major discovery. So I reconnected the Frysky again, hopeful the channel reversal routine would apply. Nope. Nothing. Darn it !

The only thing I can think of is what you mentioned earlier about the signal voltage being too low. I can try getting a Y connector with amplifier and see if that solves the problem. http://www.servocity.com/html/booste...xtensions.html

Other than that, I'm fresh out of ideas.

-Dave

Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,989 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
P,

I tried a fasst compatible Corona rx and was getting the same condition. Then I reversed the channel and it worked. So, here I thought I had a major discovery. So I reconnected the Frysky again, hopeful the channel reversal routine would apply. Nope. Nothing. Darn it !

The only thing I can think of is what you mentioned earlier about the signal voltage being too low. I can try getting a Y connector with amplifier and see if that solves the problem. http://www.servocity.com/html/booste...xtensions.html

Other than that, I'm fresh out of ideas.

-Dave
Hi Dave Stick with Futaba fasst Receivers, the Knock off receivers IMHO are Totally Junk and will cost you Dearly in Damaged Aircraft, they dont compair in Quality to a futaba Receiver, Better yet, IMHO, get a JR Transmitter on 72 Mhz and ONLY use Berg Receivers as they are Bullet Proof IMHO, you will be able to outfit a lot of planes with Berg Receivers I know you did not want to hear that but IMHO 2.4 is Gizmo BS ment to drain your Pocket Book and add more Aggravation to this Wonderful Hobby Oh Boy, Did I Open a Can Of Worms See how I am Take care and Have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Chellie,

Just tested the Orange Fasst rx and it works fine with the Dynam retracts. So does the Corona but I don't trust that one. Confirms that Frysky is not sending out enough power. Been flying with the Orange for two years in various models with no issues. Of course, your're right about sticking to genuine futaba except for the fact that they are so darn expensive.

A little late in the game for me to change horses and to go to 72. It would be problamatic here. Our club really frowns on 72 and we've lost several models in a dead spot I call "coffin corner". One of our most experienced pilots and head trainer not to mention a scale scratchbuilder has trashed a few of the trainer planes on 72. Maybe we're too close to lake and are getting low frequency interference from boaters. Not sure. So, I'll look for futaba rx deals when they come up which is usually never. I do have a parkflyer futaba rx but it's really bad. Not even full range.

Frankly, I haven't owned many airplanes that if crashed due to an rx glitch would be the end of the world. The only one I'm really concerned with is the 3DHS Super Vyper. That one is getting Futaba.

A buddy is trying to convince me to sell all my futaba stuff and go Spektrum. I'll hang in there for now but from what I'm hearing, the $60 Open architecture Turnigy 9X is pretty awesome. I know Nigel swears by it.

Best,

Dave

Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,989 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Thanks Chellie,

Just tested the Orange Fasst rx and it works fine with the Dynam retracts. So does the Corona but I don't trust that one. Confirms that Frysky is not sending out enough power. Been flying with the Orange for two years in various models with no issues. Of course, your're right about sticking to genuine futaba except for the fact that they are so darn expensive.

A little late in the game for me to change horses and to go to 72. It would be problamatic here. Our club really frowns on 72 and we've lost several models in a dead spot I call "coffin corner". One of our most experienced pilots and head trainer not to mention a scale scratchbuilder has trashed a few of the trainer planes on 72. Maybe we're too close to lake and are getting low frequency interference from boaters. Not sure. So, I'll look for futaba rx deals when they come up which is usually never. I do have a parkflyer futaba rx but it's really bad. Not even full range.

Frankly, I haven't owned many airplanes that if crashed due to an rx glitch would be the end of the world. The only one I'm really concerned with is the 3DHS Super Vyper. That one is getting Futaba.

A buddy is trying to convince me to sell all my futaba stuff and go Spektrum. I'll hang in there for now but from what I'm hearing, the $60 Open architecture Turnigy 9X is pretty awesome. I know Nigel swears by it.

Best,

Dave
I think your buddy is right if I was forced to go to 2.4, I would use Spektrum and Spektrum Full Range Receivers only, I had a DX6i transmitter and a AR6200 Full Range Receiver, It worked Good, But i could not afford to outfit all of my planes with Spektrum Full Range Receivers, nothing worse than taking out a receiver from one plane and putting it into another plane, Thats what us poor folks have to do , and I dont trust those knock off receivers, heard to many Horror stories about them I was having trouble with 72 MHz until I learned about Berg Receivers, They have the best ceramic filtering of all the 72 MHz receivers out there, And they are made By Castle Creation, a USA Company, That should tell you something right there , most 72Mhz receivers dont like E Power, to much RFI for them, they work great with Nitro, but not E Power, BERG Receivers have been bullet proof for me with E Power, I never lost a plane while using them, and zero Glitches.

I had 2 JR 72Mhz receivers that Glitched and took out one of my Planes with E Power, Those receivers got the BFH Treatment, I felt much much better after that I Have Learned what works and what does not work very well at my Expense Lessons well learned. Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I think I'll hold out with Futaba until I can get this: http://www.frsky-rc.com/NewProducts/ Been following the development and am completely taken back with the capability this one brings.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Yep the Taranis looks great on paper. Suspect it will live up to much of the hype. I just hope that an average user can program Dual Rates and Expo LOL!

And candidly one of my biggest gripes is how could you release a BRAND NEW 2.4GHz that does not balance on the neck strap? I worry about details like that. Unreal!!! Also after the 9X from Trunigy I want to see some quality from this box. I suspect that will be there but again until those first reviews come out you never know.

Mike
Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
oferf

Friends: (0)

I have a solution for the Dynam retract problem, its a small adapter to connect beween the retracts and the receiver, search RCgroups or Ebay for "dynam retracts adapter"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros