Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)
Default That really cool feeling when...

I picked up an old school powered glider a week or so ago and it had a cool "brushed" motor/gearbox setup in it. I don't want to change it so was in need of a brushed ESC. I had an old Castle Griffin that I thought I sold at our last swap meet.

So I was going through my old box 'o parts an lo and behold there it sat! Turns out I didn't sell it after all!!!

SWEET!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Friend of mine has offered me his 2m powered ASW glider ... I nearly bought it of the guy who sold it to him .. but at time had a few planes on build bench ..

Friend has kept it pristine ... all it needs is Rx and LiPO ... so I think this time I'll go for it !! Something majestic about a glider soaring up there ...

Why he selling ? He got hooked on it and is now putting together a 3m job ... unlike me and many others - he doesn't like too many models at one time.

Lovely - go enjoy !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

I would highly encourage you go for it! I never really thought I would like gliders, but you are right, something majestic about them for sure!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I would highly encourage you go for it! I never really thought I would like gliders, but you are right, something majestic about them for sure!
Email already gone to him ...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EPO_PNF_.html

That's the one .... he wants $60 cash ... pristine and all as original ... What I like about it - is the powered function and the folder prop. No need for bungee etc. It takes a common size 3S pack that I have plenty of.

Here's part of my 1980's collection and here you can see at back my Thermal glider and in front my Cross Country / Aerobatics Slope Soarer ..

A video from my 1980's day ...

In those days the Hi-Start was usually released from hook of model by dab of nose down and then pitch up to get ring of the hook .. occasionally if you got it wrong - the release didn't happen !
The guy in the video kneeling down by his model about 2mins in - was one the finest Flat Field thermal gliding guys I ever knew ... and often he would catch his gliders by nose in hand when landing ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Must be something in the air. I picked up a glider on Thursday to build.
Nothing fancy, foam. And going as minimal as I can on power. If it wasn't for the weight/CG, I have a bunch of brushed motor/gearbox set ups laying around I could have used. Maybe for a bigger one?

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (38)

Looked for used DLG's at SEFF, no luck finding one. Bill and Nigel, looks like you two are getting some vreat deals!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 06-24-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Gliders are awesome, I Loved my 2 Meter Wander Glider that I built from a kit, That Glider taught me how to fly RC with a 2 channel Sanwa Radio system, I would Blush when I went to land it at first and did Amazing Cartwheels with it
but that glider would take the Punishment I gave it, I think the tough monokote covering had something to do with it even my 3 boys had a great time flying it, they got so good flying that Glider, to where i could hand over the controls to them, so i could open a bottle of miller lite beer they were able to land it too, so i never drank while flying, they did the flying and I did the drinking LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Dereck
Super Contributor

Friends: (0)

I'll second Chellie here. Though I've not had a soarer for a while, one's on the build list for this winter. We're moving back to around DC and my 'old' club with its quiet flight only site. Reckon a DJ Chrysalis is high on the shopping list here.

But there is an AstroFlight 035G in a box somewhere... Though maybe I'll skip the eight cell NiMh pack, even though I still have a charger for suchlike.

Favourite soaring memory. Back in England in the 1980s/90s, was this neat glider comp called 'mini glider'. Model spec was easy - 60" span, rudder/ ele only, balsa framework. At first, events were won by kids, who could throw up harder than old fogies. The 'Wonder Woman' launch hadn't been invented, so strong arm muscles were essential. To level the playing field, the ancients came up with a short bungee catapult launch - ten feet of bungee cord with 30' of string for comps. The organiser laid out three to five of these, staked out on a common line with good space between. You hooked up the glider, walked back to a marked line and let 'er rip. Everyone, regardless of age or arm muscles, got the same launch energy.

My Midwest Models 'Gnome' did fine, even won me a couple of comps, plus was great for chucking around a football pitch (that's a game played by two teams who kick a round ball around with their feet, BTW). I sold it when I left England, figured I'd build another in the US. Got here, found the US equivalent was made of Unobtanium and CF, with six microscopic servos of unbelievable price and involved throwing up real hard.

End of project.

Wish I'd bought another Gnome kit though, it was a lovely little glider.

D
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

Hell, I built another Zagi a few years back - now I'm buying my 3rd F3F plane. Have a whole room full of PSS planes.

What was that whirly thing on the front again??

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Dereck
Super Contributor

Friends: (0)

We had a Zagi infestation atop the Magic Mount (MD) when they first appeared. Whoever made Zagis didn't approve of electricity, but many of ours sprouted pusher props anyway.

Which meant they were noisy as heck and made for interesting launches at times.

One guy fitted a tractor S400 into a card tube glued into the 'nose'. This was very quiet in flight and could be easily launched power on without risk to fingers.

Must say something about the genre that it's the only model that shape I've ever seen with a tractor prop...

D
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

First time I saw a Zagi was on holiday with wife ... I'd stopped model flying some years before and my wife / I visited UK.

I still had my yacht on the south coast and we went of on her for a few days cruise in the Solent .. (area that gives rise to my ID name).
Very early before sun-up .. she still sleeping .. I sailed out of Ryde Harbour and round to Priory Bay (Isle of Wight) ... where it was common for yachts to anchor and have BBQ's on the beach.

We anchored and then took dinghy to the beach ... while there a guy appeared and started to fly this 'wing' .. it was fast - well at least then it seemed fast. I got chatting to him and he showed me a Zagi with front tractor mounted electric motor.

My wife and I both reckon that day was the restart of my passion for model planes !

Photo - my yacht at Priory Bay ... yes the tide goes out leaving boat high and dry for few hours ....

And yours truly enjoying his 'other hobby'....

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions