Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
jeff4912

Friends: (0)
Default Hobby Zone Champ flew off....

Went to the field today to fly my Alpha Sport 450, but first decided to fly my Champ since I had not flown it in a while. Hand launched it and it was flying nicely and then I would get intermittent loss of signal with it and it would not respond...then after a few seconds it responded again and continued doing this. I put a newly charged battery in the plane and changed the radios batteries with new ones but it continued to lose signal off and on.

Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

alpha is a fine bird for a trainer.

what radio and receiver?

I have had the same problems. I've decided it could the built in bec on the esc reaching low voltage cut off.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
jeff4912

Alpha has a Spektrum 5 channel receiver I think AR500 if that sounds right. I am using the Spektrum DX5e radio that I got with my Phoenix flight simulator.
I have only been flying rc for about 3 months.
Using 3S 2200 Mah battery 30C.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

When you say loss of signal--no response at all...throttle and control surfaces? Or just partially--no rudder for example. I have a Champ I bought for my grandson and we experienced difficulty with the rudder occasionally, seemed ok on the ground but sometimes the rudder would stick on right turns. I took the model apart and looked closely at the linear servo for the rudder. Found a bad tooth on the nylon gear on the servo shaft. It would cause the rudder to sometimes stick. A phone call to Horizon Hobby and they sent a new fuselage with the radio gear installed.

Does any of the above fit what your's is doing?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
jeff4912

I think I probably had run down lipolies in it and misread the charger. The esc was probably getting a low voltage signal.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by jeff4912 View Post
Went to the field today to fly my Alpha Sport 450, but first decided to fly my Champ since I had not flown it in a while. Hand launched it and it was flying nicely and then I would get intermittent loss of signal with it and it would not respond...then after a few seconds it responded again and continued doing this. I put a newly charged battery in the plane and changed the radios batteries with new ones but it continued to lose signal off and on.

Any ideas?
When this happens .. I know it's hard because you are trying to get control ... but it's good to note if it's same place it happens ... ie over a building, trees, near radar scanner, antenna etc. Next flight stay away from that area and see if it happens again.

When we flew at the airport ... we sometimes had strange things happen ... not just to one flyer ... but 2 or 3 .. and freq wasn't always same ... we had days when both 2.4 and 35 played up ..
Checking with each - we found it was nearly always when we passed near the remote radar scanner that was in the field next to the airfield ..

That scanner is linked to main ATC in Riga - 200kms away ... and is always operating.

Just posting ... most likely is poor LiPo such as bad connection or something..
Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
BBCorvette18

my champ literally flew away a week or so ago. Was at my cousins and we decided to go fly in wind that we obviously shouldn't of. Anyway got the little champ up in the air and then it wouldn't come down. it flew a long ways the last place we saw it was a bout 3/4 of mile from where I took off and my cousin spotted it at the top of a 300' tree. Luckilly I got that champ for 45 bucks so it doesnt hurt as much
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by BBCorvette18 View Post
my champ literally flew away a week or so ago. Was at my cousins and we decided to go fly in wind that we obviously shouldn't of. Anyway got the little champ up in the air and then it wouldn't come down. it flew a long ways the last place we saw it was a bout 3/4 of mile from where I took off and my cousin spotted it at the top of a 300' tree. Luckilly I got that champ for 45 bucks so it doesnt hurt as much

I don't believe I've ever seen a 300' tree! They must grow 'em big where you live.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I lost signal on my ultra stick, possibly due to a bad antenna on my dx6i. range checked fine before flight, had no signal in range check mode after.

my flight was fine until I went for a long and low bank, which the plane wouldn't turn out of. as it came back around, I started getting random control of the aircraft, which ended with it flying off over the horizon inverted. with wot just seconds before losing it and a touch over 800watts, I feared.the worst.

I found the plane right side up on the landing gear. looked perfect from the 200' or so away I spotted it at. the wing tip hit some sage brush and somehow flipped the plane right side up with only the very outside edge of the wing broken up. I was excited to have it back in once peice, I didn't notice the broken wig dowels or broken up wing saddle.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #10
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I lost signal on my ultra stick...
Which Rx were you using?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions