Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
skyler

Friends: (0)
Default How to repair this monocote covering of wing?

I have made repairs to the ribs of this Gentle Lady wing - center section and one of the two removable tips. When flown, the sections are attached with electrical tape.

How to repair the monocote?

Should I first shrink the existing monocote with the heat gun so it is tight?

Then apply new pieces of monocote overlapping the existing monocote...even though there is not hard surface below the existing monocote?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wing-repair.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	169607
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by skyler View Post
I have made repairs to the ribs of this Gentle Lady wing - center section and one of the two removable tips. When flown, the sections are attached with electrical tape.

Then apply new pieces of monocote overlapping the existing monocote...even though there is not hard surface below the existing monocote?
I most times cut the monicote back to a rib then leave the good side a little long and iron it down the side of the rib then tighten the side you are leaving by shrinking it a bit . Cut a new piece for the repair and over lap it 1/8 to 3/16 and iron that down over the other covering and make sure that all edges are ironed down ,then shrink it to look like the rest. It will pull loose if you dont get the edges ironed down good .You can clean it up with preps all or thinner to get the glue off that squeezed out where you ironed it down so the seam hardly shows . Hopes this helps. joe
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Its difficult to get good results joining covering without some supporting structure under the seam. Definitely cut back to the nearest supporting structure.

Attach the new covering before doing more shrinking than occurs from ensuring the old covering is secure to the structure. This will help prevent pulling the ribs out of line or other warping of the structure.

Acetone is the solvent for most covering brands' heat activated adhesive. Fingernail polish remover with acetone in it works well for clean up of smeared adhesive. Windex with ammonia or similar glass cleaners will also remove some minor smears.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

While flying combat years ago and getting clipped by another plane a couple pieces of tyvek tape and i was good to go again. lmao If it was a bigger spot of torn off covering a black piece of garabage bag and tyvek tape .lol If your battery pack made it back to the field after a fight you got 10 points. joe
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Its difficult to get good results joining covering without some supporting structure under the seam. Definitely cut back to the nearest supporting structure.
+1 - as simple as that.

Mike
Old 06-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I know most dont have a trim iron but for this kind of work and getting into tight spots and along corners it cant be beat . I did not think when i bought one that i would use it alot but i use mine all the time . I cut my own pin stripes out of reg covering and seal them down with it also on low heat so it does not shrink then hit it with a little higher heat to make it stay forever . joe
Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by skyler View Post

I've flown that Gentle Lady many times years ago. If memory is correct, the Gentle Lady wing structure doesn't have a lot of solid places to attach the monokote.

What will work, is go to your local hardware store, pick up some of that yellow carpenter (Titebond) glue, and get a few pieces of balsa sticks, perhaps 1/4 inch thick, and 3/4 inch wide. Exact size really isn't critical.

Cut and fit that balsa stick to be a snug fit between the ribs back under the existing busted monokote. Then, put a few drops of Titebond on the balsa stick and the ribs, and sneak it into place. Make certain it will be flush with the underside of the monokote. You could also use CA, but that might be harder to work with in the confined area of the wing.

Give it a half day to cure, then iron on the existing monokote to the new balsa sticks. Cut off what overlaps the balsa stick. Then, just iron on the monokote to the balsa stick or sticks, depending on how many sticks you need to add.

FYI, if you just try to attach monokote to existing monokote without an underlying structure, you run the risk of the existing monokote shrinking up, and making a real mess to fix.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Adding sticks to support the edges of the torn covering can work. Just need 1/8 X 1/16 to 1/8 inch square for the purpose. No need to go heavier. Its not to repair damaged structure. Just something to help with making the covering joint.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
skyler

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I most times cut the monicote back to a rib then leave the good side a little long and iron it down the side of the rib then tighten the side you are leaving by shrinking it a bit . Cut a new piece for the repair and over lap it 1/8 to 3/16 and iron that down over the other covering and make sure that all edges are ironed down ,then shrink it to look like the rest. It will pull loose if you dont get the edges ironed down good .You can clean it up with preps all or thinner to get the glue off that squeezed out where you ironed it down so the seam hardly shows . Hopes this helps. joe
Ironing down the side of a rib is good advice - really helps...thanks.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
skyler

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
I've flown that Gentle Lady many times years ago. If memory is correct, the Gentle Lady wing structure doesn't have a lot of solid places to attach the monokote.

What will work, is go to your local hardware store, pick up some of that yellow carpenter (Titebond) glue, and get a few pieces of balsa sticks, perhaps 1/4 inch thick, and 3/4 inch wide. Exact size really isn't critical.

Cut and fit that balsa stick to be a snug fit between the ribs back under the existing busted monokote. Then, put a few drops of Titebond on the balsa stick and the ribs, and sneak it into place. Make certain it will be flush with the underside of the monokote. You could also use CA, but that might be harder to work with in the confined area of the wing.

Give it a half day to cure, then iron on the existing monokote to the new balsa sticks. Cut off what overlaps the balsa stick. Then, just iron on the monokote to the balsa stick or sticks, depending on how many sticks you need to add.

FYI, if you just try to attach monokote to existing monokote without an underlying structure, you run the risk of the existing monokote shrinking up, and making a real mess to fix.
Well I tried the repair without installing new balsa sticks, because I felt the existing monocote was taught enough, and the patch adheres fine, but when shrinking with the heat gun it all separated. So true to your advice extra support balsa is necessary unless I remove all the monocoate from the wing section and start again.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
skyler

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post

Well, the only way I was able to make the repair on the main wing body was following Dennis' direction. It took more time, but it made for a good solution. Not wanting to wait half a day for tightbond to dry, I used ca, assuing it would be just as good.

Thanks Dennis!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft