Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)
Default FMS "Balls Out" 750mm P47 PNP Maiden Flight

Sonny Boy got his FMS 750MM P47 V.S (Balls Out) from www.motionrc.com day before yesterday, so we had an extra radio/receiver (Nitroplanes Airfield) we put in it, along with an Orange 3 Axis Stabilizer, and MAN what a plane! It flew flawlessly with the 1700kv outrunner, coupled to a 20A ESC, with the stock 2 cell 1000maH battery seemed a little underpowered compared to our other V.1 P47 with the 3 blade prop, as opposed to the V.2 4 blade screw. The hubs ARE interchangeable, so perhaps one less blade would provide a little more speed, or a 3 cell battery, which it's compatible with, would provide a little more "oomph"? That aside, just a nice, steady, good flying little plane, and maybe because of the gyro didn't demand as much from me flying it than the V.1? Only changes to the plane besides the prop is a much larger vertical stabilizer, and smaller ailerons, which for my Son are set for minimum throws, is still a pretty responsive little plane! C.G. was spot on at 48mm with the battery installed, just a tad nose-heavy...PERFECT! The only thing that happened was the strut covers on both sides broke from landing on grass (still won't roll on grass with taller struts), and the strut holder came out of the wing...both of those are getting epoxied in for a permanent repair. I'm thinking maybe some slightly larger wheels would allow it to roll better in grass, with the stock wheels, they're too small. But all-in-all, a pretty nice little plane, reasonably priced, I recommend you get one, and go out there and fly the wings off it!!!

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Kalashluvr

Friends: (0)

Got any pics of it?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
matiac
What, me worry?

Sure do, the one in the foreground is what it replaced:
[IMG][/IMG]
Whole different airplane from the version 1, 1700kv motor, 4 blade prop together slow it down considerably from the 1550kv 3 blade variant, taller landing gear looks a lot better than the squat things the version 1 had...I turned both V.1s into belly landers, but we're gonna take the guts out of the one in the front, and put them in an 800mm FMS F6F Hellcat, and fly that around, and keep the P47 airframe for parts and such...

Old 07-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
Kalashluvr

Man that looks good! Does the prop get in the way a lot during belly landings? That's what I would prefer to do also (remove the gear). My smaller planes land pretty soft when belly landing and never damage anything in grass...even on a rough landing.... and I want to make sure it can stop/land in grass (just regular grass and not 10 inch high grass) with no damage. This is the size I am looking for.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
Kalashluvr

Did you have two V1s? And leave this new one with landing gears? Thanks again
Old 07-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
matiac
What, me worry?

Haven't tried belly landing with the V.2 yet, and those little wheels don't like grass, 2 attempted landings resulted in 2 nose-overs. If the grass were about 1/2" tall you MIGHT be able to pull off a grass landing, but other than that, for once they're right, it's so docile in the air, it IS like a trainer...

Old 07-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #7
Kalashluvr

Great info...I ordered one of the 3 axis orange receiver combos today (I'm hoping its the combo and will fit!). Never would have known that existed.

I'm trying to figure out if I want this P-47, or the Corsair, or the T-28.....or the Mustang!!!

Do you plan on taking off the gears any time soon and try belly landing?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
matiac
What, me worry?

It will fit IF you cut out some foam. Looking at it from the top with the canopy removed, and the cowl facing you, your receiver will go on the right side, then cut all the foam (just enough to fit the Orange!) down to where you'll see the wing. That won't matter once the wing is glued on anyway, but whatever you do, MAKE SURE the servo plugs face the BACK of the plane, or your reverse switches won't work, should they be needed. I'm more than glad to help with the Orange, but for your first flight, back off your adjustments to just below 50%, or you'll have way too much correction, and your plane will porpoise AND flutter from overcorrection...

Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Kalashluvr

Thank you for the tips!! I will let you know when it and a plane comes in and consult beforehand!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics