Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)
Default Picked up a decent plane- Kyosho spitfire

The RC gods (and a club member) have smiled upon me, and I have picked up a decent plane to replace my failed clipped-wing-cub.

Kyosho Spitfire 50 electric power, 1440mm (56.7 inch), in great shape, retracts and split-flaps, pretty much ready to go.

Also picked up a DX7, so I have some heavy reading in front of me, setting throws, setting switches for flap settings for landing and takeoff, all that good stuff.

Woot!

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Love my Spitty ! Wish I could afford Mr RC Sound for a touch of Merlin

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

Not sure about the Kyosho version but the elliptical wing on the Spit can make for a nasty stall and tricky low speed handling. Possibly Kyosho engineered the tricky handling out, I cant say because I've never seen one fly.

In any case you might want to go easy initially and test the stall out at safe altitude.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
CNY_Dave

The PO said it does not fly like a warbird, that it will slow down a bit, but he hadn't explored the stall characteristics. It will go quite fast, but doesn't have to.

He did warn one way some warbird owners get into trouble is getting too cute on the landing, trying to go slow and goosing the throttle as necessary, trying to get that perfect 3-point landing. Going with the flaps setting in the manual for t/o and landing and just getting her on the mains is the ticket, he said.

I have seen it fly, it's nicely smooth and stable and unlike the cursed cub it has a large set of tailfeathers, and doesn't do anything odd on takeoff.

I can't tell if the wings have washout, but the last couple inches of wing have less camber which I think may help the tip not stall first.

Not sure what motor is in it, I do know it has a castle 80A ESC with built in BEC, and given one incident the PO had (momentary loss of control while the gear was coming down) I want to make sure the electric retracts don't tax the BEC.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
CNY_Dave

One of the ailerons is interfering with (scraping against) one of the flaps.

I trimmed back one of the flaps (width) a little.

I got the plane bound to the TX, most of the work was done for me as this plane was once flown with the DX7 I also picked up, never had flaps or gear to play with before!

Dang, just noticed on the other aileron one or 2 of the hinges are pulling out...

Old 07-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
CNY_Dave

PO had the CG set just ahead of 110mm (flew well), I have it at 102 to 103.

When I opened it up to check things out the satellite RX was flopping around, I neatened up the wiring while I was at it, and I trimmed the flap that was hitting the aileron.

PO had the throws set way past the specs for aerobatics, I set them to the recc (noob) settings to keep it mellow as I focus on just not crashing...

It has the AR7010-X receiver, I am surprised it does not flash a LED for a voltage loss, or for a detected loss-of-link during flight.

If it loses link I have it set for neutral controls, throttle off, gear and flaps down.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
CNY_Dave

Maiden went well, got on 2 takeoffs and landings.

Focused on the basics, lot easier to sort things out after knowing you can get it up and down safely.

Takeoffs were a challenge, am running a 15x8 APC-E, and the wheels are a bit small.

Nosed it over pretty hard twice finding the elevator balance that would allow the tail to fly, keep the nose out of the grass (well mowed but a bit bumpy), and not have it lift prematurely.

First landing went fairly well with a mild tipping onto the nose, second landing I was keeping it a foot or 2 off the ground allowing speed to bleed to try and avoid nosing over, got a little slow and it stalled, one gear dug in and broke the right retract (it has nice worm-gear drive units) out fairly cleanly. I think it might have been a bit weak from a previous repair, or maybe the block wasn't epoxied in super tight, but better to leave that the weak point and not rip the wing apart, I think. The contacts pulled clean out of the servo extension, another nice place for a weak point.

I think the 15x8 is bigger than I need for now, and the wheels will need to be bigger.

Previous owner had the skill to just nail it and lift off in a few feet (it has the power), I'm too paranoid about stalling it.

Once I got it in the air just off the ground it shot up, plenty of power, 5S with a 500kv motor. Hard to estimate static thrust, the prop stalls past 3/4 throttle in the static test.

I can not believe how gently this critter flies on flaps, and it's a cat without any too.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
CNY_Dave

I'm flying off a somewhat bumpy grass runway, the poor plane is bouncing quite a bit before getting enough speed to get airborne. I get it rolling, linear throttle-up to about half, it gets some speed, finagle the elevator to keep the prop out of the grass, then I pin it (or maybe go to 3/4), good gawd it just takes off like a rocket.

I can get it airborne on the runway, but haven't quite got the knack of just the right amount of rudder, it's still going left a bit and I have to make sure I'm up before hitting the tall grass.

Had a bouncy landing with tip-over today, I was landing with a decent headwind and was getting it down to the deck when the wind just died, stalled just high enough that one wing hit the ground with the plane at about a 45 degree bank, no damage.

Next time I kept it hot until just off the deck, plopped it down perfect and decided to go home (well, to work) on a good one.

I've fitted the biggest wheels that will fit in the wells and they still look small in the grass, I wish the lado 60-1 retracts were adjustable, I'd just fit big wheels and just get them hugging the fuse when retracted. Of course I haven't even retracted the gear yet.

I figured out that the reason I ripped out a gear on the hard landing last time out was the small very-soft wheel compressed enough that the end of the strut (sticking down past the axle adapter) just dug-in and applied a heluva lotta torque.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
CNY_Dave

I tried a 13x8 prop this morning and it actually went straight on the takeoff roll with the stock recc throw on the rudder, what a difference!

Still has sporty power, far more than scale, enough to get into and out of trouble.

It's nice to take off without having to micromanage the prop height above the ground!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
CNY_Dave

I was having trouble 'bouncing' in the air about 3-4 feet up trying to get down to land.

Dialed in +40% expo on the elevator- 2 perfect landings right off the bat!

Still getting used to this fancy DX7 after flying with a DX5e for years.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
CNY_Dave

Turned in 2 really good landings and one with a bounce that I saved with a shot of power (wind quit on me)!

I wish I had more time other than a few quick flights before work.

Was doing my post-flight control checks and run-up and saw that I also have been bit by the weak firewall joints, I was flying with one side broken loose, the motor was swinging left quite a bit with power!

Only beating the front end has taken is a few tip-overs during take-off and landing.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
CNY_Dave

Turned in 6 landings today, in the (-) column one with a bounce that I saved into a greaser with some power (a bit fast and I just fat fingered the the gear onto the ground while waiting for the speed to dissipate, can I count that as 1 bad landing and 1 good landing?), another where I got a little slow and it bounced, flipped onto the nose, and then it settled back onto the gear.

I was practicing normal approaches, still haven't dialed in a good glide slope/power combo for this plane, I'm just not getting a feel for it. A few too fast, a few a little slow, with the wind twisting it a bit off the end of the runway. Narrowing the speed band though so I'm getting there.

I think it's time to set a switch for landing trim, due to the flaps (which I'm loving) I'm holding the el down a bit on the approach, which for me is tough to do smoothly.

There were a few good looking landings, though.

The takeoffs are looking really nice, I love watching it skim just off the grass while building speed, it's like a clip from the history channel (back when they played, you know, history!).

Old 08-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
CNY_Dave

I finally have some good takeoff and landing confidence, and got the DX7 to dial in some down elevator with full flaps.

Tried a loop today (not a new thing to me by any ,means, but 1st time with my 1st low-wing...) and gave it too much elevator, tried to loop too tightly and just before or at inverted it snap-rolled (or something), and ended up stationary and pointing straight up. I didn't want to try and hang it on the prop (with the 15 inch on there I could have accelerated straight up, heh) so I got the nose down and lowered the power, didn't want any funky torque effects or prop wash effects to add any excitement.

Next loop I let it loop wider and all was well and drama-free. I even tossed a roll in there afterwards (again, not something new to me by any means, but I go slow with a new plane with new capabilities).

Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
CNY_Dave

Put the gear up for the 1st time today- boy that plane looks good going by!

Made a pass with the gear back down to make sure it was all the way down.

Was coming in for a landing and saw I had hit the gear up switch instead of the flaps, D'OH! At least I had a good reason for that go around.

I was going fairly slowly with no flaps, too, seemed to handle fine.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics