Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)
Exclamation Strange problem with Castle 5.5mm bullet connectors

My flying buddy has a high power setup in a 71" wingspan 3D plane.
He has a large Hacker motor driven by a Castle HV 120 amp ESC.
He has Castle 5.5 mm bullet connectors between motor and ESC.

Sometimes the plane flew fine, sometimes it would not, so I suspected poor solder joints as he did not have a higher powered solder gun, only a 30-40 watt pencil tip iron.

We resoldered all 6 connectors, yes they all needed much more solder in them to fill the pocket around the wires. We thought we had it fixed.

For some reason I plugged one pair together and then twisted the connection, it rotated with no resistance!

All of the bullets we had would take a moderate amount of force to push them together, felt like a good tight connection.

BUT all of the pairs would turn freely when fully pushed together. The male pin would pull back about 1/16" before it was tight. He had noticed in the plane, if he pulled on the wires, everything would act fine.

There is no way those connectors would pass 100 amps, if they were in the fully engaged position as they should be.

Somehow, the diameter inside the female socket is larger at the back of the socket than it is at the front opening. I am sure that these are some kind of manufacturing mistake, because Castle is a good company with high standards.

If you use these connectors, check them to see if you have a good tight connection, when fully pushed together. If someone lost power at the wrong time, it could be a very high dollar crash.

We soldered his together until we can get some good high amp connectors.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
My flying buddy has a high power setup in a 71" wingspan 3D plane.
He has a large Hacker motor driven by a Castle HV 120 amp ESC.
He has Castle 5.5 mm bullet connectors between motor and ESC.

Sometimes the plane flew fine, sometimes it would not, so I suspected poor solder joints as he did not have a higher powered solder gun, only a 30-40 watt pencil tip iron.

We resoldered all 6 connectors, yes they all needed much more solder in them to fill the pocket around the wires. We thought we had it fixed.

For some reason I plugged one pair together and then twisted the connection, it rotated with no resistance!

All of the bullets we had would take a moderate amount of force to push them together, felt like a good tight connection.

BUT all of the pairs would turn freely when fully pushed together. The male pin would pull back about 1/16" before it was tight. He had noticed in the plane, if he pulled on the wires, everything would act fine.

There is no way those connectors would pass 100 amps, if they were in the fully engaged position as they should be.

Somehow, the diameter inside the female socket is larger at the back of the socket than it is at the front opening. I am sure that these are some kind of manufacturing mistake, because Castle is a good company with high standards.

If you use these connectors, check them to see if you have a good tight connection, when fully pushed together. If someone lost power at the wrong time, it could be a very high dollar crash.

We soldered his together until we can get some good high amp connectors.
Whoa boy, that could be a big issue.

I've used those EC5 connectors on a club members very high power jet. Those connectors appeared to work very well.

Another option is those Sermos 75 Amp connectors similar to the APP connectors, only twice as long, twice as wide, twice as thick. These connectors are huge, but they will handle any type of load currents our models are ever likely to use. Depending on the terminal selected, these connectors can handle up to #4 gauge wire. I have used some of these on other projects.
Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46890

Reminds me of an issue at work we had decades ago on some reamed 3/8 inch diameter holes in a piece of steel in our product. Took a while to find out that those reamed holes were 16/1000 out of round.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems