Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)
Default P.Z. U.M. Brushless Mod?

I'm aware of a Brushless conversion for the Blade Nano, forget the maker, but could this be configured into the receiver board for these Parkzone Micro planes? I'm aware that I'd have to configure a mount for the motor, as well as modifying the battery slot, and some of these ESC's have to be soldered to the board...has anyone done this, and what's the "PITA" factor? Me and my Son both have a couple of these planes (Corsair and Spitfire) and after only a few flights, the brushed motors are total crap. They were both way under-powered right out of the box...well, the Spitfire DID have a whole lot more "oomph" than the Corsair did, but both motors are almost completely dead. I'm thinking a brushless setup would eliminate having to tear the plane apart every 20 or so flights to change out the motor, which is a real pain...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I've done a brushless conversion on a UM Su 26m using a two cell battery. This totally tranforms the model, MUCH pore power and longer flight times, weight increase is minimal, and the motor lasts forever rather than wearing out brushes constantly.

You use a separate ESC, there are links to threads on how to do it in the first post on this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081138

Here's my Su-26 in action:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
matiac
What, me worry?

So install looks pretty straightforward. Thinking about a pair of those 16000kv rigs they're making for the Nano Brushless Mod, should be plenty for an ultralight airplane I'd think, and one of them is a direct plug-in affair like the ones in your RCG posts I looked at...

Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Sticking with one cell makes the conversion more straightforward but you will still need to install a new brushless ESC.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
matiac
What, me worry?

Yup, the one I was looking at was a "plug-and-play" affair, plugs into the socket where the brushed motor would have gone, and obviously the bigger battery, plug mod for that and I could use the batteries for my HeliMax 1sq, those are 250maH 1s batteries...hmm...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes