Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
scout39

Friends: (0)
Default Mini Telemaster Aileron Wing Kit???

I've emailed a couple of times to see when it might be available so I've been holding off on modifying my current wing. Anyone know anything about the new wing kit or have any suggestions for modifying the stock wing?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery88
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Looking at the solid trailing edge stock, you could simply cut out short chord but long length ailerons, while still leaving some balsa stock for the aileron header. I did that with a Herr Cherokee which flies really well, with a pretty short aileron chord length but long span length. On that plane, I had to fill the header with 1/8" square stock inset, since the trailing edge was fabricated from sheeting ran along the outer surfaces of the wing. The very short (roughly 3/4") aileron chord is actually quite effective, given their long length.

For the torque rods, the TE stock could also be cut away and then capped along the top and bottom with balsa stringers, to provide a channel for the rods. The cutaway portion could then be glued back onto the stringer capping. Since this capped torque rod channel lengthens the wing chord slightly, it allows you to glue a cap strip onto the ailerons at their hinge line and lengthen their chord a slight bit, so that they will be aligned across their trailing edges.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
scout39

Friends: (0)
Default Good Idea

That would work. I just need to figure out where to bury the servo(s). I had a plane with a single servo operating both using a bellcrank. Need to find some pics.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

you might even be able to use the existing trailing edge stock for ailerons just cut it free From the ribs and add balsa to the ribs for hinging the Te stock back in place. modifying the wing this much should make recovering easy to do, so I'd mount servos in the wing on edge so only the servo arm pokes thru. the procedure i just described is how i put full length ailerons on a skimmer 600 kit. heres a few pictures. stu edit,mount servos to exit the bottom of your wing. i went topside to avoid catching grass belly landing the glider.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 070.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	169948   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 044.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	169949   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 022.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	169950   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 025.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	169951   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 031.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	169952  

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft