Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Unclebuck21228

Club: Sumter Model Airplane Club
Friends: (0)
Default Shaft or bell mounted prop adapter?

I am in the process of picking a motor for my newest scratch built, (RC Clipper, plans from outerzone) and I was wondering if there is any benefit of motors with shaft mounted prop adapters or can/bell mounted prop adapters. I'm looking at the motors from headuphobby (great business BTW) in the 450 size. I like the shaft mounted adapters for no particular reason. I'm will be using the x mount/motor in front of the firewall mounting.

Any thoughts?

Dan
Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Originally Posted by Unclebuck21228 View Post
I am in the process of picking a motor for my newest scratch built, (RC Clipper, plans from outerzone) and I was wondering if there is any benefit of motors with shaft mounted prop adapters or can/bell mounted prop adapters. I'm looking at the motors from headuphobby (great business BTW) in the 450 size. I like the shaft mounted adapters for no particular reason. I'm will be using the x mount/motor in front of the firewall mounting.

Any thoughts?

Dan
Hi Dan Depending on the prop, you need to use a prop adapter, some props have a 3mm hole in them and other props have a larger hole in them where a prop adapter is needed, like the apc props, buy a prop reamer to fit the prop to the adapter, the apc props have prop inserts they do need to be reamed to fit properly, I Use a little ca to hold the prop insert with so it does not spin when reaming out the hole to fit, you will need to balance the props too, on some of the smaller bell motors, with the 3mm motor shaft, you can replace the bell mounting screws with some metric screws that are a little longer, and cut the motor shaft so the end on the motor shaft sticks out about 1/8" beyond the prop, now you can use some O Rings to hold the prop on with, this is a free prop saver Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXG940&P=ML

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Fingerti...ncer-C-344.htm

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Any thoughts?

Dan
Don't know about your motors.

But my experience with the various $$$$ Hacker motors is interesting.

One of my very lousy ARF's had a nasty habit of stalling out and snapping while at full throttle level flight. And it didn't take much up elevator.

That resulted in a very hard landing where the A40-10L motor got bent up. Because the prop was mounted to the bell, the bell got bent up. Nearly impossible to fix.

So, that motor was used as a shaft mount for the prop. And, sure enough, I was taxi running my "Twist" model back to the pit area in very high winds. The wind picked up the model and rotated it end for end. Nothing got busted, except the motor shaft and prop. Three new shafts (about $6 or so each) were ordered from Hacker One of them was installed in the motor, and now, all is good.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

If Your Building the 54" W/S Clipper Plane, it calls for a 15 size nitro engine, the Power up 15 , 480 motor 1000kv might be a better choice than the 450 motor. and the heavier weight of the motor will help you with the CG. I like to use the motor shaft with a prop adapter with the 450 and 480 motors, but it all depends on how you will need to mount your motor.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2639

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-E-575.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...utrunner+motor

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
Unclebuck21228

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
If Your Building the 54" W/S Clipper Plane, it calls for a 15 size nitro engine, the Power up 15 , 480 motor 1000kv might be a better choice than the 450 motor. and the heavier weight of the motor will help you with the CG. I like to use the motor shaft with a prop adapter with the 450 and 480 motors, but it all depends on how you will need to mount your motor.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-E-575.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...utrunner+motor

Yes ma'am that is the one I'm building. I have put it on a diet. That with careful balsa selection has yielded a very light plane so far. I used laminated balsa instead of sheet because I had not used that method before. It was an enjoyable process. I also cut back on the ply. 1/4 inch ply for the firewall just seemed a bit thick to me. The uncovered completed wing is 3.2 oz and very strong. I believe the power up 15 would be way too much which is why I'm looking at the 450 sizes. If its not able to rise off the ground then I will consider going bigger.

Dan
Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
Unclebuck21228

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Don't know about your motors.

But my experience with the various $$$$ Hacker motors is interesting.

One of my very lousy ARF's had a nasty habit of stalling out and snapping while at full throttle level flight. And it didn't take much up elevator.

That resulted in a very hard landing where the A40-10L motor got bent up. Because the prop was mounted to the bell, the bell got bent up. Nearly impossible to fix.

So, that motor was used as a shaft mount for the prop. And, sure enough, I was taxi running my "Twist" model back to the pit area in very high winds. The wind picked up the model and rotated it end for end. Nothing got busted, except the motor shaft and prop. Three new shafts (about $6 or so each) were ordered from Hacker One of them was installed in the motor, and now, all is good.
Thanks for your input. That's what I was looking for. I had not considered what could happen in the even of damage. I believe I will lean towards the shaft mount.

Dan
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Yes ma'am that is the one I'm building. I have put it on a diet. That with careful balsa selection has yielded a very light plane so far. I used laminated balsa instead of sheet because I had not used that method before. It was an enjoyable process. I also cut back on the ply. 1/4 inch ply for the firewall just seemed a bit thick to me. The uncovered completed wing is 3.2 oz and very strong. I believe the power up 15 would be way too much which is why I'm looking at the 450 sizes. If its not able to rise off the ground then I will consider going bigger.

Dan
Hi Dan The Clipper has a very short nose, and you might need the extra weight of a larger motor to get the CG rather than having to add lead dead weight, I always try to use a larger motor for weight in the nose rather than having to add dead weight, and a larger more powerful motor will help you to get out of a bad situation if needed, and E Power Planes tend to come out Tail Heavy, Just my 2 cents worth Take care, Chellie

Old 08-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

I personally prefer the bell mounted prop adapters on outrunners.

They hold on better than the collet type. I've had these spit off the prop and spinner too often.

The shaft adapters that use set screw(s) are good if the motor shaft has flat spots ground in for the set screw(s)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I like my 450 and 480 sized motors from heads up. I strongly prefer the prop shaft type. Jeff sells the prop adapters and shafts for a reasonable price.

I lost my 5mm prop adapter and purchased on by eflight at the local hobby shop. it has a 4mm thread and did not require any reaming out to fit a prop. the 5mm one did that came with my 480 plus. all of my 4mm shaft motors also didn't require any prop reaming.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Unclebuck21228

Chellie, Went with your recommendation and ordered a firepower 480 sport from heads up rc. So far, initial mock ups (uncovered) with all electrics except for Rx and 2 servos have the 3s 2200 battery just forward of the CG. Current uncovered flying weight is a tad over 23 oz. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	170671
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thats is looking Sweet Nice Build, I get to do the Maiden Flight Ok Just kidding, Take care and have fun, Chellie

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems