Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
DanWard

Friends: (1)
Default Razor Hobbies 30CC SBach ?

I have a hanger full of electric up through a 57" 3DHS 330SC but have had the bug to get to a bigger gasser plane. I love the looks of SBach and MXS-R and if kept in the 30CC size it will just work better all the way around, budget, transport, etc.
I have come across a NIB SBach produced by Razor Hobbies in Baytown Texas. Not knowing much I have spent some time Googling and while I found references to the typical problems any hobby shop has (would be tough to be a hobby show owner IMO) being in business today. All my Googling seems to be void of any actual flight video or reviews for the Razor Hobbies 30CC SBach.
Sometimes I am not one with Google and other search tools. Therefore I am asking this question here in hopes someone can point me to some post or provide some rubber meets the pavement feedback.
Thanks,
Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I'm not familiar with the plane, but when you look at flight videos, try to see if they do upright harriers. If they don't, RED FLAG! If they do and you see wing rock: RED FLAG!

Upright harrier is the basis of a lot of maneuvers and one of the easiest things to get wrong in an airplane design. Don't make the same mistake I made and waste time on a bunch of "3D" planes that simply can't do basic 3D maneuvers right.

You can't go wrong with 3DHS 72" Extra or EF 78" Extra! Just sayin'...

AMA #959089
Old 09-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

...BTW, I couldn't find a flight video either, but given that both the EF 78" Extra and the 3DHS 72" Extra are about $50 more expensive, I would stay away from unproven aircraft.

If you absolutely want an Sbach, I think Pilot has one that's decent. But the fact is that Extras, Slicks and Edges are typically better 3D designs than Sbachs.

AMA #959089
Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
GunnyJeeves

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I'm not familiar with the plane, but when you look at flight videos, try to see if they do upright harriers. If they don't, RED FLAG! If they do and you see wing rock: RED FLAG!

Upright harrier is the basis of a lot of maneuvers and one of the easiest things to get wrong in an airplane design. Don't make the same mistake I made and waste time on a bunch of "3D" planes that simply can't do basic 3D maneuvers right.

You can't go wrong with 3DHS 72" Extra or EF 78" Extra! Just sayin'...
+1 to what he said. Unfortunately the EF one is out of stock. I've noticed that 3DHS, Extremeflight and Precision Aerobatics add carbon fiber into their builds. (PA blends it into hybrid balsa/cf parts, and Extremeflight uses some of the spars as carbon fiber.) This makes them very rigid and durable.

EX: a proper blender should nearly rip your plane apart when you recover. Well only terra firma will rip these. IMHO they more than justify the price difference for the airframe.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
DanWard

Default I bought it on 8/14 which was my birthday

I ended up buying the 25% Razor Sbach for myself as a birthday gift. It is going to have to sit for a while as I come up with the rest of the cash for the build. That and learn all the thing one should know for a build of this size.

I never did find any flight video of it. It did however come with a SBach Pilot RC manual. Something tells me it may be the same manufacture back in China just private labeled as Razor?

It was new in the box and negotiated price reflected a 25% reduction. None of the plastic bags had even been opened. This made it an affordable entry into 25% size planes. My hopes are positive but only time will tell. If it turns out to not be an extreme 3D plane, well neither is its pilot .

I had shopped for Extreme Flight for a while but found them to be out of stock a lot of the time.

And 3DHS, before they moved would have been my obvious choice (really, really, really wanted a Slick). But after they moved I bought one plane from them and it was a extremely frustrating experience, so much so that I won't repeat it. I have four 3DHS planes and they are all great planes. But the last of the four, while a great plane, was just an all around messed up experience. I'd rather not speak harshly of them so lets just say I have really bad luck.

It will be a while but I will let you know how it turned out. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
squidger

Friends: (3)

Upright harriers are usually difficult to perform unless you are flying with a rearward C of G. Most of my 3d aircraft perform superb inverted harriers but wag the wings when upright. My new Precision Aerobatics Addiction X performs really well both upright and inverted but I have the C of G about 10mm behind the recommended most rearward position. As soon as you go high alpha the right way up the rudder is in dead air cause the fuselage and wings block the airflow. When inverted the rudder acts like a keel and is in clean air and you really notice a difference.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying