Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
rctech34

Club: Lake County R.C. Club
Friends: (0)
Build Review Eflite power 15 vs turnigy g15

I have compared the specs of both the eflite power 15 and turnigy g15. I want to replace the motor in my eflite pitts 12e15 that I bought from another discount hobby shop online. Has anyone owned either one to give me a comparison before I make the purchase?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by rctech34 View Post
I have compared the specs of both the eflite power 15 and turnigy g15. I want to replace the motor in my eflite pitts 12e15 that I bought from another discount hobby shop online. Has anyone owned either one to give me a comparison before I make the purchase?
Hi and Welcome to Wattflyers.
The Eflite power 15 is a much much better motor in terms of Quality, they are also underrated too, so you can push them a little, if I had the money to spend, i would buy the EFlite motor, the turnigy motors are ok, but the EFlite motors are much better.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

half the price and provides 4.8 lbs of thrust on 3-4 cells vs the 3.5 flight does. it is a slightly heavier motor though.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

The Turnigy easy match motor range appears to be made to be direct replacements for the eflite motors. Possibly they may not be quite as good and you wont get the same level of after sales service, but I'm pretty confident that the Turnigy will get the job done and at half the price I'd be very tempted.

Specs for the 950kv G15 say weight is identical to the eflite, and dimensions are the same too (coincidence i'm sure).
Old 08-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I'm an admitted Hacker Nut, with 8 of them in my models. They range from an A30, two A40's, three A50's, and two A60's. (Those A60s are pulling near 3000 watts.)

These top of the line $$$$ motors are real powerhouses, and will do the job. At about an extra $25 or so that is. (And no, I don't work for them, wish I did!)

This motor is in the same ballpark as the motors you are looking at: Hacker has a number of different winds for the same size motor shell, to allow close matching to the model to be used. The A30 series is available in 10 different winds and configurations.
https://www.aero-model.com/8_163_197...10XL%20V3.html

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

+1.. if I were spending the cash to get a quality motor I'd pick Hacker over eflite. I think the closest hacker is this one: https://www.aero-model.com/8_163_198...-12L%20V3.html

It's got the same size (30mm diameter x 20mm long) stator as the eflite motor, they also have neat built in cooling fans.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
rctech34

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I gather that Hacker is the best, Eflites good and turnigy is a cheaper substitute for the eflite that is comparible but may not have the same quality.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
rctech34

I finally picked up the Eflite power 15 today. I just got done mounting it and testing different props with my watt meter. The included instructions say up to 425 watts. The website says for models requiring up to 575 watts. Does anyone know which one is correct or what this motor can safely handle from personal experience?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I finally picked up the Eflite power 15 today. I just got done mounting it and testing different props with my watt meter. The included instructions say up to 425 watts. The website says for models requiring up to 575 watts. Does anyone know which one is correct or what this motor can safely handle from personal experience?
Generally, these motors can be run up to about 100 watts per ounce of motor weight. So your Eflight 15 would be about 500 watts or so.

One place to check this out is one of those computer programs such as www.motocalc.com. Plug in your battery pack, motor, and prop. Then run the program and see what shows up in the "compute report/Opinions" section.

If you're pushing the motor, motocalc will let you know.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
eflite 15 , pitts , turnigy g15