Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Piper Cherokee ...

Having now completed the J3 Cub ... I was looking through various pictures and found an old picture of a Cherokee I used to fly. It had a Irvine 20 up front and was not too bad ... kit itself was not so good and overall scale was a bit iffy ... but it tickled that spot !

I then sought out online a plan ... and came across Pilot's U-Control Junior series Cherokee ... right size ... right style ... just right for a 3S 1800, 7x6 prop size set-up.

mmmmmmmmmmmm do I or don't I ... so many other models I want to build as well ... 6mm Depron / Floor foam ... have a good supply in ... mmmm

We'll get back on this !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Dikybird
Bob

Friends: (0)

Hi where did you find the Cherokee plan ?

Regards Bob
Old 08-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Outerzone ..... http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2351

Here it is attached below.

My initial thoughts ... increase the number of ribs as I will do in foam sheet. Pine spars. Single servo ailerons with torque rods to keep wing clean.
Top and bottom sheet wings in 3mm depron.
Fuselage in 6mm sheet with extra laminated 3mm in wing seat area...

Nigel

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cherokee.pdf (714.8 KB, 40 views)

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Dikybird
Bob

Thanks Nigel,

I sold my Cherokee 140 (fullsize) and would love to build a model of it
More ribs would help with the sheeting.
I have a plan somewhere it is about 4 sheets I will see if I can find it and pass it on to you.
Are you in the US
Cheers Bob
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Dikybird View Post
Thanks Nigel,

I sold my Cherokee 140 (fullsize) and would love to build a model of it
More ribs would help with the sheeting.
I have a plan somewhere it is about 4 sheets I will see if I can find it and pass it on to you.
Are you in the US
Cheers Bob
No Latvia .... I moved here from the UK in 1993 just after the fall of Soviet ...

Plan would be nice - but truly - not necessary ... I have various I can fall back on and it would get lost amongst my vast collection !!

I'm always surprised that Cessna's and similar get a lot of models made - but Cherokees not.
Maybe it's the low wing bit that puts people of ?

Cheers
Nigel

Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Dikybird
Bob

Latvia that is interesting ! I am in Portugal.

OK I understand I end up with loads of stuff I never use.
It is interesting not much stuff on Pipers at least as you say on low wings
Do you get stuff from Hobbyking?

Cheers Bob
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

About 85% HobbyKing .... 10% Ebay and rest wherever I can scrounge !! I am also receiver of others broken models that I patch up and get flying again.

We had 2 Hobby Shops in Riga ... 3hrs drive away from me ... 1 was basically a mail-order front - high priced, and other had loads of gear but not what was needed ! They went bankrupt ... so now we basaiclly have no LHS to speak of. Guys order from Germany, UK, HK - whatever. The biggest hurdle then is Latvia Post will not accept large boxes ...

Nigel

Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Here it is attached below.

My initial thoughts ... increase the number of ribs as I will do in foam sheet. Pine spars.

Nigel
Nigel - what size is this plane going to be?

I would ditch the ribs! I think the spar is enough and I have used that on a .60 size 4 star (granted a light, slow flyer) with no ill effects. I am using thicker material (blue core) however. If you are using thin depron you may consider adding more spars.

Just a thought....
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Rcers ... I agree that usually its fine to just go spars ... but on this one I want to try and keep the wing form. Usually as you see from my other builds - I often ditch the ribs and use tapered foam spar etc.
Having proven my combo system on a few scratchbuilds now where I split down DIY wood to thin spars and foam ribs ... I get a light but incredibly strong structure. AND get away with using 3mm sheet.
The Mini4 is best example.
I'm also considering the addition of thin wood spar along the fuselage to counter the flex and structure change that foam often suffers ...

Size ? I'm looking to go for up to about the 900mm mark ... just slight up from the plan size.... I've scaled by 125% ... This keeps it with my motor pool ... and the 7" props.

It's still ideas in head at present ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft