Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
ironbinder

Friends: (0)
Default Newbie SC flyer gets a T-28 Trojan (PZ)

Hello I am a newbie here and all the posts I saw on the T-28 seemed so old (2006)? So I started a new one.
I am new pilot. I started on a nine eagles Sky 500 mini glider, it is cheap and very forgiving on crashes, good for learning.
Next I got a Super cub 2 weeks ago from Park Zone (PZ). I have been taking off and landing on a paved parking lot, with trees on both ends, so I have to come in over the trees (70') and DIVE so I can have enough room to set up for the landing on my 2-3/4" Dubro tires. My first landing was perfect, after that I got over confident and hit the curb and cracked my SC cowling, but I did about 6 take off and landings that day on the parking lot. Been flying for about 2 weeks every day almost.
Now I am back in the local Foot Ball field with nice grass doing belly landings.
(boring for me)
I have also flown in strong winds, causing my SC to do wing overs and strong thermals.

Soo,,,Am I ready for the PZ T-28 with ailerons? Am I being over confident? I hope not. I don't have a simulator.
I plan on only using the grassy field for belly landings. (btw, the tech. at my local hobbyshop suggested the PZ T28 as a first timer Aileron Plane)

I also got a new Spektrum DX6 transmitter. With an extra 2200 mah. lipo. I am totally stoked about using it.
I have been reading all the threads I could find here on the T-28.
Looking up set up tips. I reinforced my SC fuslage with carbon fiber rods.
Any mods I should do with my new T-28 before it's Maiden Flight?
Thanks for any tips.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Take a look at this thread....may have a few tips:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71425

As a first aileron trainer, you may be in for a few surprises........she's quicker than advertised!

AMA 928214
Old 08-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
ironbinder

Default Thanks

Excellent link, I am still reading it.
I was also wondering if a 2200 mAh lipo will fit well into the battery box of the T-28?

It comes with a 1800 mAh stock. I noticed that the difference seems to be the thickness of the batt.

Also anyone know where I can find good lipo's for a good deal online? I like to support my local hobby store, but they wanted about 50 bucks for the 2200 mAh lipo I just bought.
I looked online and I noticed Turnigy Nano Tech batteries 2.2 Ah (same as 2200mAh). For 18.99 online.
Are these good batteries for a T-28?
What is the difference from Nano tech Lipo and regular Lipo's??? Besides the cost?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
ironbinder

Hello, I was going to get some more batteries.
Just wondering if anyone can help me with this question,

I looked online and I noticed Turnigy Nano Tech batteries 2.2 Ah (same as 2200mAh). For 18.99 online.
Are these good batteries for a T-28?
What is the difference from Nano tech Lipo and regular Lipo's??? Besides the cost?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #5
William Smith

This exciting Ultra Micro Series edition of ParkZone’s wildly popular T-28 Trojan is a must have for any intermediate to experienced pilot. Like the original, it has plenty of performance for sport aerobatics but remains a joy to fly at slower speeds if you want to throttle back and shoot touch and gos.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
ironbinder

Default Thanks

Yeah, I have crashed my PZ T-28 3 times already and busted the fuselage in half at the nose area, I totally repaired it with Gorilla glue, the wing mounting area too. 2nd time for the wing anchor spot. Now I am flying it much more carefully.
I only fly at half throttle now, that's the key.
That is a must for beginners.
I flew it for 32 minutes this morning while the air was calm, on one battery without coming down, and that was the smaller 1800 mAh batt. lipo.
I flew the whole time at about 1/3 throttle.
I found that 1/4 throttle I could maintain altitude, 1/3 throttle gain altitude.
I had good air this morning. I think some kind of light thermals or updrafts of somekind, 'cause I kept on going up, and up and up, at 1/3 throttle.

Still no feedback of my lipo battery questions though,
=later
Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Nanotechs are just regular LiPos, it's really just marketing hype.

32 minutes on one 1800mAh battery?.. That sounds a little hard to understand given that all the T-28's I know of would struggle to do 15 minutes? Even the Parkzone web site says 12-15 minutes. Are you sure you got the time correct? only thing i can think of is that you had some real 'boomers' of thermals to give the battery a helping hand.

PS.. Personally I'd not put a 2200mAh lipo in the T-28 because it tends to come in a bit nose heavy even with the stock battery, so a larger battery will only make it worse, you cant easily move the battery back either. But that's just me, others may say it's no problem.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

2200mah 40c.....no problems (stock) with C/G if installed and seated against the front ridge of the recessed, formed battery compartment....not past that ridge or behind it........

The most air time I've gotten out of the stock PZ Trojan with the 2200mah 40c's, flying mild acro and 1/2 to (mostly) 3/4 throttle has been 9min's.....after which I've checked the batteries, after cool down, both of which had 3.72v per cell available......being 40c's, still had a little punch left for ROG back to staging areas.

EDIT:

The 9min's have been under calm, under 2mph wind conditions.

AMA 928214
Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Ironman,

You must have made a quick decision on the T-28. On Aug 27th you were asking if you were ready for it and 4 days later you were reporting your first mishap. LOL. Excellent plane ! Set it up with dual rates on your DX6 and include some expo.

Yeah 32 minutes ? C'mon Iron ! the guys that respond to this thread have or have had a PZ-T-28. I set the timer at about 5 minutes. 6 minutes would be top end for me. You're talking glider times there.

For Lipos, they are kind of like oil: "All come out of the same hole.'' Though there is a lot of marketing and puffery. I've tried most of the leading brands and in the end, I'm not sure one brand has much of an advantage over another. The chemistry in making a lipo is common amongst suppliers. One company may have a QC advantage over another.

Been using CHL's lately.China Hobby Line. Good pricing, free shipping, US warehouse- What's not to like ?

Good luck on your T-28. Great choice.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

Yeah, I was exaggerating flight time at 15 minutes. In reality my flying buddies T-28 does about 7 minutes on an 1800 and that is flown as gentle as gentle can be. He might be able to stretch another couple of minutes or so if he run the battery dead flat but that's the limit.

32 minutes would take the mother and father of all thermals to achieve! Those sort of thermals would be picking up manhole covers off the streets
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
ironbinder

Default Thanks all,

Yeah, I know it sounds kind of extreme, but I set my down timer at 10 min. and at the end of the alarm it started 'up timing' and I had 22 min of up time.
With a DX6i
I was flying at a 1/4 throttle, and yes there where really good gentle thermals combined with a head wind coming over a ridge. I was flying on a small meadow on the top of a ridge. Even I was surprised. It was in the evening just before sundown. I was also gaining altitude with very little throttle, like a 1/4 to 1/3 max. I found that the air was very 'lifty' that day and time of day.
And I was cutting off the throttle quite a bit and soaring as much as I could, looking for lift.
No acro, no fast passes, no touch and go's,just long ovals and figure eights at altitude with best lift. (boring flying)
I was kind of blown away.
I should try it again in the same weather conditions and same time of day.

Yeah about my crashes, I gorilla glued the whole thing back together. I am much more cautious of running it full throttle, it flys just fine at half throttle even climbs at 1/3 , in the right air conditions.

Thanks for the info on the Lipo batts. Hey are there any brands to stay away from , that have a history of problems? dahawk says they are all the same just different marketing. I may try the CHL's.

Oh yeah, I have been alternating between the stock 1800 mAh and a 2200 mAh that I bought (PZ). And yeah I do notice at hand throw take off, that it is kind of nose heavy, with both the 1800 and the 2200, not much diff to me.

Thanks for all the info everyone
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
ironbinder

Yeah, I set up expo with help from hobbyzone tech, they said 70% for all control surfaces. I have started using my alternate 100% setting. But I am starting to learn to use rudder more for turning. Especially right hand turns. I am thinking of only reducing the rudder, as it seem one does not need very much from the rudder.
Like 100 % on everything else and 60% on the rudder.
How does that sound? I'll experiment around.

================================================== ======================
+++ Well, I flew again this next morning trying to simulate the same flying conditions I had before, this morning I got 23 minutes of flight time with the 1800mAh batt.

I keep trying the 2200 mAh lipo and I do not get any better time, I think the weight of the batt. takes away from the efficiency of plane's flying ability.
I mean slow flying characteristics, maybe at fast flying the 2200 is good, but I notice better slow flying and climbing ability and longer time with the 1800 mah lipo batt.

Maybe I didn't get 32 minutes before but I thought before that was my timer readings like I said in the comments above. But I am double positive I got 23 minutes this morning, no doubt..
Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ironbinder View Post
I only fly at half throttle now, that's the key.
That is a must for beginners.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! We have a winner! That's a priceless observation. Especially your T-28 can fly fast, but you don't have to. Keeping her slowed down gives you time to think and plan. Later you'll be good enough that you won't have to but for now flying is conscious thought and action.

You're gonna do great! Be persistent and have fun.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Hello, ironbinder.
Sorry to chime in so late. It's been a busy week.

First of all, WELCOME to WattFlyer! It's always great to see new faces on the forum.

You've already gotten good advice about the batteries. 2200 mAh is what I've flown my Trojan w/ for years now. They fit and don't change the CoG at all.

As far as modifications go, the only thing I've ever done is I've used the 3 bladed propeller from PZ and I have installed the .10 sized e-tracts.

The 3 bladed prop looks great and gives good thrust, but the top speed is a little bit slower. I've since went back to the 2 bladed prop.

The Etracts are awesome. I love them and doing scale take offs and landings are one of my favorite things to practice.

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
Rltkktlr

I can regularly get 20 min out of my T28 with 2200 battery with a couple volts to spare. Of course I am flying about 1/3 throttle a lot of that time.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Sorry that many didn't answer about lipos....

Nanotech, save your money unless the size you need is cheaper in nano form.

I've tried them and most give up after a few charges.

What you need to do is decide on size.... from above posts it seems the 1800 is good. Ok so 1800 lipo.... check out sites such as Hobby King, China hobby, etc. get the highest C rated you can.... that way you get best performance possible and battery will not be pushed in demand.
A good battery to look at are Zippy Compacts... which fit better into slots....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #17
ironbinder

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Hello, ironbinder.

As far as modifications go, the only thing I've ever done is I've used the 3 bladed propeller from PZ and I have installed the .10 sized e-tracts.

The Etracts are awesome. I love them and doing scale take offs and landings are one of my favorite things to practice.
Hey Everyone thanks for the feedback, hey what are e-tracts?

-thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #18
ironbinder

I replaced my 2200 mah lipo, it was a lemon, a green PZ brand. I paid 50 bucks for it, after 2 weeks of light use, it got to where it only had a 1 minute capacity. I was using the same balancing charger that I used for the 1800 mah lipo. the one that came factory.

I am never buying a green PZ lipo again, way overpriced, not that great on the quality.
It might have sat on the local hobby shop shelf for 3 years and I was the first person to buy it, never again, I am online buyer from now on. 20 bucks online for most.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #19
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Hey Everyone thanks for the feedback, hey what are e-tracts?

-thanks
It's just a (sort of) contraction for electronic retracts. They are servo-less retracts. I have two sets of the E-Flite brand and they have been bulletproof. There are cheaper ones out there also.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PZ_T28_2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	171193

Name:	PZ_T28_4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	171194

Name:	PZ_T28_18.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	171195

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I replaced my 2200 mah lipo, it was a lemon, a green PZ brand. I paid 50 bucks for it, after 2 weeks of light use, it got to where it only had a 1 minute capacity. I was using the same balancing charger that I used for the 1800 mah lipo. the one that came factory.

I am never buying a green PZ lipo again, way overpriced, not that great on the quality.
It might have sat on the local hobby shop shelf for 3 years and I was the first person to buy it, never again, I am online buyer from now on. 20 bucks online for most.
You will soon find that the small balance chargers that come factory are too slow, very limited in use, and then you'll be looking for a better charger. In the budget line you can do well with the iMAX b6, Accucell 6 etc. If you stay in the battery range at present, they will be enough. If you go seriously upward in battery's then you should look in the higher wattage arena.... 80w, 100w and more. the higher the watts rating - the higher the charge - Discharge rates you can use.

Second the factory balance Box can be poorly balanced and can lead to false charge results. I have two on my bench and only use when I have a lipo that needs initial input to get round my B6 defaulting out on a low pack.

So don't ditch that pack yet.... get it charged on a better charger then see what is the score.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Iron,

I've gone through a lot of different brands of lipo. The chemistry to make them is basically the same but the qc of the assembly and packaging may differ. I've tried Gens Ace( Nitro), Nanotech(HK) Zippy(HK) Turnigy(HK), Mad Dog, Grayson, and now CHL. For me anyway, CHL(China Hobby Line) offers the best value in terms of performance and price. All they sell are batteries. Have both an International and US warehouse and provide free shipping. Very responsive to emails if you have a question or special request. Come with T-plugs attached. I haven't found a better lipo or a better deal yet. Worth checking out: www.chinahobbyline.com

Make sure to check the C-value which represents the rate of discharge. I dont buy anything less than 30C anymore. EG. 11.1V 2200mah, 30C. The mah or milliamp is the capacity. The more mah, the more flight time.

If you're using PZ, it likely has an EC3 connector(blue). That's okay, but be prepared to adapt to others like Deans(t-plug) and the XT-60 ( Hobby King)

Lots of good balance chargers out there. I have the I-charger 206B with a 350W PS. Bought mine from www.Progressiverc.com Been flawless but there are others including Turnigy, Cell pro, etc. When I got back in the hobby a few years ago, I was told to simply "Get the best charger/balancer you can afford." My balance board is set up for EC3 so I have a lot of short different two-way adaptor cables. EG. T-plug to EC3, XT-60 to EC3, etc. The wattage of the power supply is key to the amount of time it takes to charge. The amount of amps you can flow is also key. The little 1-2 amp cell-phone type chargers that come with RTF's will have you wanting something else once you get past your first plane.

Most ARF/PNP planes come equipped with a connector attached to the ESC. PZ & Eflight from the LHS's Horizon Hobby lineup will come with EC3. If you decide to buy a plane from Hobby King, there is a high probability it will come with a XT-60 connector attached. No worries.

Enjoy ! Listen to guys like Nigel, Jetplaneflyer, Rcers, Chellie(Lady), kyleservicetech, fhuber,AERJR, and others. They bring a wealth of knowledge here.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners