Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Bill Gibson

Friends: (1)
Default GWS Formosa

Anyone built/flown one of these? Motor/battery/esc suggestions? I just picked one up....sure looks nice!!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
LPatrick

Friends: (0)
Smile

Go to headsuphobby.com and ask them. They sell the plane and have motors and esc's and everything else you will need. Always the right price and dependable delivery.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Bill,

Check out this thread. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ght=Formosa+II

I built the Mosa II which is a little bigger and made from EPO. This plane is indestructible. Got the kit for $50.00 from headsup and then made several mods which are shown in the thread. The nicest addition was Chellie's custom LG which made a huge improvement. Can rog on grass easily. Look at the kit itself as 5 pieces of good foam. There's a lot of crappy plastic parts you'll never use. Drop a good motor in there like an SK3, Omega, etc. My first motor was an emax 2820/07 I had laying around. 5.4 oz. Whew ! A Hoss. Used a 50 amp esc.Bearings finally gave out and swapped it with a motor from my retired T-28. So so performance. I have an SK3 series motor arriving from HK this week.

The standard set up is that the MOSA II is tail heavy out of the box. So adding useful weight to the nose won't hurt you. I modded out the fuse so that the lipo is installed from the top, just in front of the canopy. My rx, elevator and rudder servos are mounted inside.

Ben Fischer, owner of 3DHS, actually maidened mine. Still flying it. A pretty good pattern flyer.

Do you have the MOSA I or Mosa II?

-Hawk
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
rreid7

Club: AMA #987422

I've built and flown a couple of Formosas. The first was built stock and flew with a PowerUp 400 Sport motor from HeadsUpRC and 1500mAh lipos. That one flew very well and got a lot of flight time, but began to feel a little tame over time. The second one, which I still fly regularly, has a PowerUp 400 Zoom, and the rudder/elevator servos are moved to the tail to balance a 2200mAh battery. This one also has individual aileron servos in the wing instead of the stock single servo with torque rods of the stock set-up. Control surfaces are cut larger and the throws are much greater than stock. This one is a lot of fun, fairly fast (70+ mph) and very responsive, but still as smooth and easy to manage as the stock one. It has enough power to hover, and enough control authority to hold a hover, to the limit of my skills (maybe 10 seconds?). I think it's a great design, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours. If interested I have a couple of write-ups, including logged performance data, on my website linked below.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Bill Gibson

Great responses, great info! I purchased the Mosa 1 and a Power Up 400 1050kv motor from Heads Up R/C...kinda got the cart before the horse i guess....love their motor charts and stuff, really helps a COMPLETE electric beginner! Sure would like to see a pic of Chellies custom LG! Ron, im going to check out your site right after this! Thanks everyone for the great stuff! Really gettin CRAZY about electric flyin and the nice folks who fly em!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

All i can say is that Chellie's gear are the bees knees ! Aluminum. they are strong yet lightweight. She provided wood blocks cut on a 30 degree angle that fit in the gear pockets. This forward rake allows the plane to roll on grass without nosing over. Very nice. Very affordable too. Send her a PM. She's a super contributor here and mentor to many including myself. She'll probably see this thread and chime in.

-Hawk

Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
Bill Gibson

Hawk, that LG is AWESOME! Chellie has help me out many times! She's a GOODIN! Hope she chimes in! What kind of ,and what size are the wheels? Really looks good on the plane!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

The little plastic GWS mounts are nice too. I've used them for removable LG in more small models than I can count offhand.

Nice to see an older GWS foamie also. Brings back memories of when I started in this, and GWS has some of the few foamie "ARFs" on the market. Today they would be considered kits since there is build work, and we almost never see these anymore with all the RTFs out there. There's some Formosa bash threads, where they are turned into other planes also such as the Macchi MC72. I still have a set of GWS floats onhand, and have thought about one of them someday.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934757
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
Hawk, that LG is AWESOME! Chellie has help me out many times! She's a GOODIN! Hope she chimes in! What kind of ,and what size are the wheels? Really looks good on the plane!
I believe they are either 2 & 1/4 thin dubros or 2 & 1/2 Picked them up at my LHS. I found the thin wheels work better on grass and our field is kind of ratty. Contact the Chelster. She knows your plane.

-Hawk
Old 08-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

Hi Bill Thank you for the complements, I use 2 - 1/4" 5 spoked wheels, they seem to work out great, I get them from HK, I bought a bunch of them if people want them with the Custom LG, its just $5.00 extra for 2 wheels, The 2- 1/4" Wheels work out great for a 30" to 48" wing Span Plane, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Bill Gibson

I did have yet another question....i have some Tower Pro SG-9, 9G servos, and wanted to know if they would work Ok for my Formosa???
Old 08-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I did have yet another question....i have some Tower Pro SG-9, 9G servos, and wanted to know if they would work Ok for my Formosa???
Should be fine, especially for the ailerons and rudder. Might want to put a mg servo in the elevator depending on how you plan to fly it. I don't attempt any 3D stuff with mine, just some rollers and some tumbles. I attempt to perform basic F3A pattern routines though I'm not that good at it. In fact, I should go back to playing golf- LOL.

I pretty much fly it sport. I have all 9g servos in mine but sense I could use a 17mg servo for the elevator. No big deal. It will fly fine. The Mosa I is also lighter than the Mosa II.

Chellie originally thought I had the Mosa I and recommended enlarging the rudder. When I built the Mosa II, my goal was to re-use everything in the drawer and I did. Never spent an extra dime. Had the motor, esc, servos, rods, horns, connectors, etc. In fact, I never really used much of the enclosed little plastic pieces that came with the kit.

Good luck on the build and maiden !

-Hawk
Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
Bill Gibson

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Should be fine, especially for the ailerons and rudder. Might want to put a mg servo in the elevator depending on how you plan to fly it. I don't attempt any 3D stuff with mine, just some rollers and some tumbles. I attempt to perform basic F3A pattern routines though I'm not that good at it. In fact, I should go back to playing golf- LOL.

I pretty much fly it sport. I have all 9g servos in mine but sense I could use a 17mg servo for the elevator. No big deal. It will fly fine. The Mosa I is also lighter than the Mosa II.

Chellie originally thought I had the Mosa I and recommended enlarging the rudder. When I built the Mosa II, my goal was to re-use everything in the drawer and I did. Never spent an extra dime. Had the motor, esc, servos, rods, horns, connectors, etc. In fact, I never really used much of the enclosed little plastic pieces that came with the kit.

Good luck on the build and maiden !

-Hawk
Thanks Hawk! As far as the golf thing.....as bad as i am at flying things with a radio, golf is a WHOLE 'NOTHER DIMENSION of bad speaking for myself....problem is....its all FUN! I tried my first outside loops this A.M. with my PZ PoleCat.....TERRIFYING!Had no idea what i was actually doing....FULL down elevator, and..........pray! I Honestly dont know why my poor little plane is still in one piece, but it is!(pure dumb luck!)
Old 08-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
rreid7

I've been using the 8g Emax ES08A servos in my Formosa I without a hitch, and most of my other planes as well. I've not used the TP SG-9s but the specs are similar so I wouldn't hesitate to use them if that were what I had on hand.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Bill Gibson

Originally Posted by rreid7 View Post
I've been using the 8g Emax ES08A servos in my Formosa I without a hitch, and most of my other planes as well. I've not used the TP SG-9s but the specs are similar so I wouldn't hesitate to use them if that were what I had on hand.
Thanks Ron! I joined your site.....im going to place the servos the same way you did on your 'Mosa...it simply looks like an easier install! What did you use to fasten them to the plane? sticky tape? Thanks, Bill
Old 09-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
rreid7

I try to make the servos a snug fit in the pockets, then secure with a little hot glue. The aileron servos I also cover over with some white striping from the decal sheet or a bit of packing tape.

Be careful fitting the tail servos, it's tight back there. One is offset above the other so they don't clash in the middle. You could also move them forward a bit and get more room if you wish. Just lay it out and get them fitted before gluing the fuse halves together.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft