Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Old 'N Slow

Friends: (0)
Default Motor/prop adapter question.

I am a firm believer in silly questions, and this may very well be one of them...

I have no experience with small electric motors for airplanes. I've used the larger ones, and found them quite straight-forward.

I recently purchased a Park 250 from HK. It came with a prop adapter and motor mount. This one here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19031

My question is this - what's the best/most logical/least damaging way to reverse the shaft, so I can use the prop adapter and motor mount?

The adapter quite obviously mounts onto the long shaft... but the long part is sticking out the back end of the motor, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the shaft and reverse it. Or if this is even necessary.

I've tried removing the set screws on the bell end, and the small circlip at the bearing end. The shaft refuses to budge. I'm afraid to apply too much pressure...

Any other outrunners I have, the long part of the shaft sticks out the front... and the motor mount fits to the back.

I look forward to your responses!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

You don't "reverse" the shaft normally... you mount the motor reversed, with the shaft coming through a hole drilled in a "firewall" mounted further forward in the aircraft.

You can reverse the shaft in many outrunners. There should be one or 2 set screw(s) and one to 3 C clips. Loosen the set screw(s) and pop the clips and you should be able to pull the shaft out. Sometimes one of the clips is between the motor bell and the stator bearings.

If they used locktite or similar to help hold the shaft in the motor bell it can be difficult to get the shaft to pull out even with the clips and set screws removed...

The shafts are all removable/replaceable on outruners (that I have seen so far).
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Old 'N Slow

Thanks.

YA, I can see how that would work... but that puts the motor mount at the front of the motor, which is just wrong to me. Old habits die hard.

In the installation I have for this plane, I'll have to modify the front of the plane, and build a firewall/motor mount and mount the motor in this 'reverse' layout - which will add complexity and weight.

Or figure out how to reverse the shaft. Which will make it so much simpler. Of course, then, what would I do with the circlip - I didn't notice a groove, but I suppose there must be one.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

Hi O & S

I looked at the replacement shaft near the bottom of the page and it only shows one groove for the clip. I looks like the shaft just needs to move forward after you remove the clip and loosen the screws at the front. I use a drill press as an arbor press to move the shaft. Make sure everything is supported well. Often a socket is the right size to support the motor and let the shaft move. The worry is that only the magnets will hold the bell on. Please test the system with a prop to see if the bell stays put.
good luck

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Old 'N Slow

I may press the shaft out, and make one that has the groove in the right place, say, 1/16" from the end - so I can reverse the shaft.

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this is odd. The larger outrunners I've purchased from HK aren't like this.

I can't imagine that pressing out the shaft, and reassembling the motor without a circlip - and relying on the magnets to hold the motor/prop together - would result in a positive outcome! But I can't say for sure... , and I'm not so sure I wanna be the first to try it!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I just did a quick fix to my turnigy SK3. Similar situation. Everything was backasswards because of the mounting holes for the x mount were opposite of where they needed to be. I know it's not according to Hoyle, but I removed the c-clips and lightly tapped the shaft through in the other direction. The new rear part of the shaft had enough space to mount a collar w/ grub screw. This collar came with the motor.

The only problem I had was when tightening the provided collet adaptor, I over torqued it and sheared off the threaded part where the nut holds the prop on. New 5mm collet adaptor arrives today. Always something.

-Hawk
Old 08-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Old 'N Slow

Now that's a pretty good idea. I'm going to try that. Should work, if I can find a collet small enough.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Appropriate wheel collars are available. I would recommend grinding a flat on the shaft for the set screw.

Even if the C-clip slot position wasn't an issue I'd recommend the wheel collar.

I have had a motor shear the C clip and spit the bell, shaft, prop (22X10) and spinner over 75 feet when I hammered the throttle from a standing start. The 13 lb plane only went forward 5 feet.
Not as small as your motor, but it makes you think about these things.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners