Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)
Default 19 year old dies flying heli in brooklyn,very ,very sad.

.this is a very sad time for our friends in Brooklyn NY....in the news tonight is the story of a 19year old who was killed while flying a large rc heli. He was doing tricks with a large rc heli and was know for being a world class pilot.

my heart goes out to this young mans family. this death is a terrible tragedy and happen at a heli club field. the pilot's father is the president of the club and many in the hobby ofrc and heli flying are going to be seriously heart broken over this loss of a fellow hobbyist. i am 100%sure pilots at my field know pilots from Brooklyn as we have members who live in brooklyn, and this will be a heartbreak for them also.

please pray for this young mans family as they go through this very difficult time. i can not begin to know what they are going through this night.

Facebook via NBC New York
Roman Pirozek

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

these things dont happen very often, but when they do, its a wake up call to be Extra Safe when Flying, because anything can happen and go wrong, my Prayers go out to his family and friends.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Here's the unfortunate event.......the pilot was with his dad....very tragic indeed!

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2013...n-in-brooklyn/

AMA 928214
Old 09-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
i know this will effect my clubs decisions on flying alone. we have been loosing members due to all other clubs that allow you to use the fields alone.
This was nothing to do with flying alone, there were others there as there were witness reports. In this case it would have made no difference how many people had been there because he died almost instantly from his injuries.
Looking at his YouTube videos he was a truly outstanding heli pilot but seems to fly MUCH too close in many of them.

Very sad.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Unfortunate case of overconfidence...

It doesn't matter how good you are. Flying too close + a minor error = disaster.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

How tragic, prayers to the family.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post

It doesn't matter how good you are. Flying too close + a minor error = disaster.
This is just tragic but I was not there so can't assume any of this. It was clear by the videos he was a very talented pilot but I am not sure we know all the details.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

How in the world can you judge that pilots confidence or train of thought huber.......?........or is that statement just another one of your "Wiki-text book" responses (now you're a psychological profiler as well).

Sir, your'e simply amazing...!....You've got an opinion for the entire RC digest, an answer for everything, a self-image that spans the globe.........I guess I should just be humbled by your presence here at WattFlyer..............seems the credibility issue has once again sank to another level with statements related to personal observations while "on the outside looking in"..........

AMA 928214
Old 09-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
CNY_Dave

Without knowing the cause, one can only say 'the farther away the better', to give time to react or dodge no matter if there's an error, a mechanical fault, etc.

It *almost* doesn't matter how far away given how fast these things can maneuver in any direction at any time, and I suspect there is almost no distance that would be 100% safe without incurring other problems, so all you can do is give as much room as you can.

On the whole I expect riding a motorcycle is more dangerous, though.

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

We don't know the cause but overconfidence (if it played any part) kind of comes with the territory for most 19 year old males. Fortunately most of us by pure luck got away with a scare, or few bruises or maybe a busted bone or two.

Whatever the cause it's very sad.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Turner
Super Contributor

Sad as this is I think these comments are spot on. I see videos all over the web of people flying helis too close to them selves and too close to other people. This is the second death in just a few months, that I've heard of, of the pilot flying the heli being killed. There will no doubt be more I'm afraid.

I own a 300 size heli I've flown a fair amount and a 450 I've never flown. I'm now questioning the 450 purchase.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I own a 300 size heli I've flown a fair amount and a 450 I've never flown. I'm now questioning the 450 purchase.
You are many times more likely to die in the car on the way to the field.

Two deaths ever (per the AMA in the news report) in the US. 35-45k deaths per year.

Fly - be safe - but don't let it ruin your hobby. Life has risks.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Turner
Super Contributor

I have ridden motorcycles for for nearly 50 years. Raced them too. I don't see that that has anything to do with flying RC helis too close to yourself or others.

This poor young mans life is gone because he and most others just didn't understand the energy in a rotating carbon fiber blade.

Here is a video of this same young man. A fine pilot I have to say. By any thinking persons judgement this should be considered flying too close to pilot and viewers. How many more will it take to get the message out.

RCRS, will you allow your loved ones to stand this close to helis in the future? Will any of you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YrQ_JsGo7J4
Old 09-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I have ridden motorcycles for for nearly 50 years. Raced them too. I don't see that that has anything to do with flying RC helis too close to yourself or others.

This poor young mans life is gone because he and most others just didn't understand the energy in a rotating carbon fiber blade.

Here is a video of this same young man. A fine pilot I have to say. By any thinking persons judgement this should be considered flying too close to pilot and viewers. How many more will it take to get the message out.

RCRS, will you allow your loved ones to stand this close to helis in the future? Will any of you?

My wife has the chance to see many motorcycle riders in the ER. They affectionately call them donors. Sad but true.

What I am saying is - since you are now afraid of flying your 450 heli that your ride to the field is statistically MUCH more dangerous.

So your ride to the field is 350,000 times more dangerous.

And no - I don't stand on the flight line when the heli guys fly. I fly with several guys of that skill level (one used to be a team Futaba pilot) and it freaks me out.

But again my point is it is life has danger. Cars (they go close to each other), motorcycles, jumping out of airplanes, boating all more dangerous.

As hobbies go - this one is remarkably safe. Deaths per year usually counted on a finger or two. Deaths in 50 years - not sure but I bet under 15. But stamp collecting might be safer, yes.

By the way - what none of us know is what actually happened. We can certainly speculate based on his videos, but we don't know and based on the fact he was alone - we will likely never know the actual cause.

Mike
Old 09-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Turner
Super Contributor

THis is not a motorcycle forum. I'm sure there are all kinds of dangerous activities we could compare to flying RC helis. What does that have to do with anything.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-dec...oy-helicopter/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...elicopter.html
Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Old 'N Slow

Friends: (0)

Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

THis is not a motorcycle forum. I'm sure there are all kinds of dangerous activities we could compare to flying RC helis. What does that have to do with anything.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-dec...oy-helicopter/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...elicopter.html
Check - I fully apologize for trying to make you feel better about flying your 450 heli.

I will never talk about other dangerous activities again. Sorry.

Mike
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
CNY_Dave

You are assuming much...

Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
Turner
Super Contributor

I'm not alone. Have a look at the larger discussion:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991999
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
CNY_Dave

I should have clipped my quote to the relevant part for what I was saying- a discussion of relative risk, be it RC planes, choppers, motorcycles, skydiving, etc. is crucial to put the risks of the (whichever) sport into context.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
Turner
Super Contributor

No hard feelings, guys.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I'm not alone. Have a look at the larger discussion:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991999
Yep lots of people can make assumptions. What none of them have are the facts.

Mike
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Turner
Super Contributor

All right, I'll bite. What more facts do we need?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I found this video on RC Groups. The backward/inverted flat out approach directly at himself and the camera man, only pulling up with a few feet to spare (at 1:50 seconds into the video) had me ducking for cover. There is no denying the skill but talk about risk taking
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #25
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The deceased youth had MANY videos of performing violent complex maneuvers with the heli less than 6 feet from himself.

That is simple overconfidence and doesn't allow for any minor error or any mechanical failure.

This type of flying is very impressive and exciting to watch largely because of the danger involved.

Attempting to avoid these types of accidents is why most clubs will have a line of pilot's stations and then 10 to 25 ft further out from the spectators is a "no fly" safety line with the stated purpose of keeping the aircraft away from the people.

I've been present at a few "duck and cover" instances where helis went in with people RUNNING to avoid the out of control "headless chicken dance" of the out of control heli after impact even with this modest separation being followed. But at least with the separation we had the time to see it coming and run away, preventing injury.

Its simple. A smaller separation = less reaction time to deal with an error or an out of control aircraft

And its not just 2 deaths in the whole US history of RC helis.... its 2 publicized this year (with no assurance that those are the only ones, since AMA just knows of those involving AMA members). Statisticly due to the much smaller number of people flying RC helis than people flying cars this puts you 2X as likely to die flying a heli as driving to the field.
The close in flyers are comparable to DUI or texting while driving in the way they increase the risk vs just flying a little further out.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat