Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
jeff4912

Friends: (0)
Default Engine vibration after crash...replaced prop shaft.

Had minor nose in with Multiplex Mentor and bent the prop shaft so I replaced it. Went out to do a run up test on the prop and at 1/2 throttle, I get a heavy vibration that shakes the whole plane.

The prop is spinning true. When the prop stopped, I grabbed the spinner and was able to wiggle it up and down maybe a 1000 th of an inch. Should there be any slop in there?

I was thinking that maybe a bearing got damaged because I am starting to hear the beginnings of a grinding noise at certain points of the prop rotation when spinning it by hand.

New engine?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Buy new bearings and replace em. If it is a good motor it is worth replacing them it can be a pain if you don't have a proper way of pressing them out. This place sells quality bearing and they have a chart for different motors to get the correct size. If you don't have a way of measuring the ID OD of the bearings.
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...motor-bearings
Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,113 Times in 2,023 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Check the Magnets to make sure they did not come loose, if they did, you can glue them back in with Epoxy or Med CA, make sure they dont get turned around, mark them with a felt pen on one side. also check the motor can, it could have gotten bent, if it is bent, time to get a new motor and save the magnets for canopy hold downs, Hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

It could also be the actual bell and/or stator mount that is bent, this could case the stator to rub on the magnets which would explain the grinding noise. Check the motor and make sure that the bell/rotor part (the part that spins) is straight and true against the fixed part of the motor, check the gap between the back of the rotor and the fixed part and make sure it's the same width all round the motor.

The other points (bearings and magnets) are worth checking but bearings would not normally cause bad vibration unless the damage was extreme.

The other thing to check is the actual prop adapter, this is quite likely to have been bent in the crash.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
jeff4912

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
It could also be the actual bell and/or stator mount that is bent, this could case the stator to rub on the magnets which would explain the grinding noise.
I think you are right now I have listened more to the noise. When plane crashed, the battery flew forward and struck the back of the motor.

I bet it bent the bell and caused the magnets to rub.

New engine ordered. I will used damaged one for spare if I can fix it.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions