Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
flyinwalenda

Friends: (0)
Default Eflite 60 amp ESC ...older...not PRO.....Programming Help

I have an Eflite 60 amp esc. At first glance it looks like an Eflite 60 amp PRO esc but it's not.
I installed it to replace an Eflite 60 amp- PRO and the first thing I noticed when connecting a 5-cell pack was that it would not start-up /initialize. It emitted two fast beeps and continued that cadence until the pack was unplugged. I tried a 4-cell and 3-cell pack and on both the esc would start-up BUT the start-up tones are different than those of a PRO.
I tried to enter manual programming mode following the instructions of the PRO and the programming tones and program menu are different than the PRO. For selections 1 through 4 it emits a single beep, double, beep, triple beep, and quad beep just like the PRO. When it come to menu option #5 it emits a long tone of a different frequency, option#6 emits a long tone and a short beep(beep is similar in sound to the first four menu beeps), option #7 is a long tone and (2) short beeps, then there is a pause and (2) beeps then the programming menu starts again.
I selected option #1 and it had only two selections to change so I assumed that was the brake. I set it to the second selection and sure enough the brake was on. The brake option on the PRO is option #3 not #1. Other than the brake I am lost as to what options # 2 through # 7 are.

To sum up here is what I know about this esc:
*It resembles a PRO esc from the outside.
* It is an older esc from around 2008 from internet searches as I see it mentioned but can't find any supporting documents for it..
* It works on 4-cell packs but not 5-cell.
* Start-up and programming tones are different than the PRO.
* Programming menu is different than the PRO.
* The Eflite serial programmer will not recognize it when plugged in.
* Contacted Horizon and they are having a hard time getting programming info on it. Probably the guy there who would have known is now running an RC Turbine engine company.

Below are a few pics and a short audio where you can hear the tones.
If anyone has the programming menu or instructions I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Brian Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZRAeo7iL6M

Old 09-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Hi Brian Do Yourself a Big Big favor and get rid of the vintage non pro 60 amp E flite esc, I have never liked E Flite ESC, they are had to program, you sometimes need to use your computer to program them, and there is no support on the Older vintage ESC, Toss it in the Trash bin, and get a Turnigy 60 amp esc, they are easy to program and IMHO Bullet proof, turnigy ESC is all that i use, never had any issues with them, and they are inexpensive, get the programming card too, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURNIGY-ESC-...0827%26ps%3D54

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Brian Do Yourself a Big Big favor and get rid of the vintage non pro 60 amp E flite esc, I have never liked E Flite ESC, they are had to program, you sometimes need to use your computer to program them, and there is no support on the Older vintage ESC,

If you want weed whacker power, check out the $$$$ Castle Creations 90 Amp Talon ESC with a 9 Amp uBEC. CC also has a 35 Amp version. They are useable on both Heli's and fixed wing models. I've got one. Don't know if CC is still doing it, but mine came with a coupon for a free computer USB type programmer.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...FcN9OgodEUAALw

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
flyinwalenda

Thanks for the replies . I ended up using this one on another application and installed a castle where the PRO was . This one is working fine in it's current state of programming but I would like to find out what the other menu options are.
Someone told me that maybe this was made for a specific plane and not so much as a stand-alone ESC offering.
I sure someone has come across this esc at some point !
Old 09-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Thanks for the replies . I ended up using this one on another application and installed a castle where the PRO was . This one is working fine in it's current state of programming but I would like to find out what the other menu options are.
Someone told me that maybe this was made for a specific plane and not so much as a stand-alone ESC offering.
I sure someone has come across this esc at some point !
If you pick up Castle Creations USB programmer, everything programmable shows up in your computer screen.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...stle_link.html

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
flyinwalenda

The folks at Horizon are also stumped. Nothing they have in the archives ((2) 60 amp ESC's) match this one. They want me to send it in so I think I will just to ,hopefully ,solve the mystery.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
The folks at Horizon are also stumped. Nothing they have in the archives ((2) 60 amp ESC's) match this one. They want me to send it in so I think I will just to ,hopefully ,solve the mystery.
Send it in, Maybe just Maybe, they will send you out a New ESC so you can continue to have fun Flying

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems