Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
sgf323

View sgf323's Gallery12
Friends: (1)
Angry Neutered DX6i

After flying with a DX6 for many years I decided I'd upgrade to a DSM2 unit since DSM rx's were getting harder to find. So, I figured the DX6i would do me well since the DX6 had for so long.

But, they really neutered this thing!

With the DX6, I could completely kill the travel of the Gear and Flap channels which would then enable me to use the A/B/C mixes to do whatever I wanted with them. With that, I could setup a delta wing + ailerons and I could put the ailerons on Gear and Flap then with the E-F and all mixes I could not only have a full 4x4 setup but could turn off the ailerons completely, turn them on for roll only, or turn them on for pitch only.

With the DX6i... first of all, they neutered the delta travel. When in a delta configuration you don't get full aileron and elevator travel. The only way around that is to use Mix 1 and 2 to literally mix channels into themselves for more movement. But, then of course now you have no mixes left.

Flaps work ok for other channels because you can leave the flap configuration at 0 while still having full travel. But, no matter what you do the gear switch is always active. The only way to deactivate it is to use the Travel Adj and take the gear travel to 0 but if you do that then you can't mix anything in to it because it has zero travel!!

Am I wrong here, has anyone else gotten the DX6i to actually do a proper 4x4 setup like the DX6 could do?

It seems like my only real option is Y'ing to achieve a 4x4 setup which I really don't like to do because then it limits what other options you can do such as spoilerons, etc... Although, even with a 4x4 I don't think I could get the DX6 to do spoilerons on top of it all. Well, maybe if I used the F-E mix but then it'd probably just pull all surfaces up when deployed.

Seems like I'm going to have to ask Santa for a DX8...
Old 09-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,138 Times in 2,047 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (308)

Research the DX8 for Problems, I would go with the DX7.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
sgf323

View sgf323's Gallery12

Oh yeah? The DX7s is a better bet?

What about the Taranis X9D? That looks like a nice unit.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by sgf323 View Post
Oh yeah? The DX7s is a better bet?

What about the Taranis X9D? That looks like a nice unit.
IMHO better Quallity with the DX7,

https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

decide for yourself, maybe they Got the Big Bugs out of the Dx8 By Now

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
sgf323

View sgf323's Gallery12

Interesting. The X9D definitely looks like a really good unit. Have you heard of people having any luck sticking a DSM2 OrangeRX transmitter module into it? I'd like to be able to still fly my DSM2 rx's with it.

I just learned of this radios existence tonight so I'm doing as much research as I can on it.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
sgf323

View sgf323's Gallery12

Ooo.. just realized I read your post wrong. I thought you were saying the X9D was better quality but now I'm realizing I had you backwards.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

ask santa for this

http://www.helipal.com/jr-xg8-8-chan...Fc01QgodK3AA1w

Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

the Taranis X9D looks like a Nice radio, but i would wait and see, I waited before i bought my DX6i and i am glad i did, the newer earlier DX6i had recall issues, the later DX6i that i bought was ok,

Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
sgf323

View sgf323's Gallery12

The x9d is interesting because of the dsm2 module option. I'm getting my son into the hobby so he'd get the dx6i. It'd be nice to have two radios that share rx's.

Although I wonder if the dx8 or dx7s have the same delta retardation mode and if I can program the gear channel like I could on the dx6. If not then that is another issue I'd still have to deal with.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

the x9d is Inexpensive, give it a try, $200.00 wont send you to the poor house

http://www.superior-hobby.com/tarani...rce-p-883.html

Old 09-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

The DX8 is a wonderful system. Please don't spread rumor's about a systems you don't use Chellie!

The DX7s is awesome but the new DX9 appears to be a smart choice too. But the DX8 issues were on v1 and a very few systems at that. Saying they still have issues is just trying to cause fear where none is needed.

The Taranis looks good on paper but they are having some growing pains and issues with gimbals. I am also worried about how easy they are to program. Support will also be a test they have yet to pass.

But the DX8 is great. If you can spend a bit more the DX9 would really be awesome!

Mike
Old 09-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
The DX8 is a wonderful system. Please don't spread rumor's about a systems you don't use Chellie!

The DX7s is awesome but the new DX9 appears to be a smart choice too. But the DX8 issues were on v1 and a very few systems at that. Saying they still have issues is just trying to cause fear where none is needed.

The Taranis looks good on paper but they are having some growing pains and issues with gimbals. I am also worried about how easy they are to program. Support will also be a test they have yet to pass.

But the DX8 is great. If you can spend a bit more the DX9 would really be awesome!

Mike
I've had two Spektrum DX7 original's for five years. Two years ago, I sent in the main DX7 and six receivers to Horizon for a checkup. They returned it to me, all checked out, and ZERO charge. They even paid return shipping.

One club member had a problem with his DX7 transmitter losing its bind when turning on the radio. Horizon could not verify it. So Horizon returned a brand new transmitter. No charge. This is as often as not, how Spektrum operates.

I finally sold one of the DX7's and bought a new DX8 transmitter. The DX8 is an order of magnitude easier to program than the DX7 unit. I've got the DX8 controlling a giant scale model with two servos on the ailerons, two servos on the flaps, two servos on the elevator, and one servo on the rudder. Each servo is on its own channel. The DX8 LCD screen actually shows a visual picture of your model, and the various servo locations. Took about 5 minutes to set it up. I've never worked with the DX7s though.

As for which radios are being used, check out this thread: Yup, Spektrum/JR have over 50% of the total RC radio market.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
GunnyJeeves

Originally Posted by sgf323 View Post
Interesting. The X9D definitely looks like a really good unit. Have you heard of people having any luck sticking a DSM2 OrangeRX transmitter module into it? I'd like to be able to still fly my DSM2 rx's with it.

I just learned of this radios existence tonight so I'm doing as much research as I can on it.
I can't speak for the specific radio / module combination you are referring to, but I can tell you I was in the same boat not too long ago and went with that module and the Turnigy 9XR radio.

I've never looked back.

My DX6i was a $225 radio at the time, and it felt like an awesome one. It was hard for my brain to process it when my $50 radio and $29 module felt like SOO MUCH of an upgrade.

The module you're talking about is solid. That much I can say.

I can also say that in the Spektrum camp, the DX7 or DX9 are going to be the best bet.

DX7 because you get almost all the same capabilities and flexibility you're used to with either one... and the DX9 came out AFTER the 9XR so they can't afford to hold back on anything with it. (It's got to compete with a $50 radio that does all that and more.)

Our hobby is growing rapidly I think, and Spektrum will put out their best effort I am certain on the DX9. I just don't see the price difference in DX7 to DX8 as I'm not big on telemetry.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
+1000 Never had so much as a single glitch from mine. The early ones had a few teething issues but that was a couple of years ago, it's history now.

Having said that, at list price you would be better getting the new DX9 in a couple of weeks, it's got a load more features for a few bucks more.

Alternately with the arrival of the DX9 you might find soon DX8 Tx's at big discounts, if so grab one without hesitation.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
GunnyJeeves

One more thing! DX9 will introduce a wireless trainer system.

I know DSM2 and DSMx transmitters are supported, but your DX6 just might bind directly to the DX9 and be useful as a trainer too.

Thats a sweet feature. (I compare it with an extra receiver & $15 option for a dual controller, but that will only work on normal sized planes and up.)
Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by GunnyJeeves View Post
I just don't see the price difference in DX7 to DX8 as I'm not big on telemetry.
The DX7s has telemetry (the DX7 was phased out a good while back)
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by GunnyJeeves View Post
I know DSM2 and DSMx transmitters are supported, but your DX6 just might bind directly to the DX9 and be useful as a trainer too.
DSMX Tx's don't support DSM.

They are only backward compatible 'one generation' so they will work with DSM2 but wont jump back two generations to the DSM protocol used in the old DX6.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
GunnyJeeves

Oh man. Just looked at that radio. 9XD.

Thats a usable 16 channel radio for $200.

Holy !!!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
GunnyJeeves

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The DX7s has telemetry (the DX7 was phased out a good while back)
Yeah. Thanks! The DX7 didn't have the SD card either. (The DX7S does)

My expectations of a main radio are:

Mixers, Fully Porgrammable, Switches AND Knobs, Some interface for moving complete model settings between radios.

Lowest price option is a 9XR + Module + USB Cable + Epee Software.
Lowest price Spektrum option is the DX7s

I gotta admit though that I am dog gone curious now about the 16 channel radio she mentioned.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Club: 114th Grapevine
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (2)

very tempting unless you have a bunch of Spektrum recievers already....

Too many hobbies, and not enough time!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by waytooslow View Post
very tempting unless you have a bunch of Spektrum recievers already....
Actually it's got an external module slot that will take a DSM2/DSMX module, so it can be made compatible with Speky receivers.

Main criticisms of the 9XD seems to centre around poor gimbals and difficult, non-intuitive programming that (apparently) requires you to plug it into a PC to access all the features.

But possibly you could live with those issues for the price.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #22
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

The Taranis can run up to 32 channels if you add an external module (who really needs that though?) If you plan to run only Spektrum then a DX7, 8 or 9 is probably your best bet. Too many problems reported with the Orange RX module and by the time you buy a DM9 module for the Taranis, the cost is about the same.

Frsky has a very high quality link and you get RSSI and receiver voltage with no additional sensors. Data logging is built in too. A $2 sensor gets you battery voltage. So if you want telemetry, Frsky costs less in the long run. I use it for anything fast or expensive over DSM2.

Taranis runs open source software which is incredibly powerful but many find it hard to learn. I run Frsky and DSM2 with ER9x on a TG9x transmitter (even it can run 16 channels with a second module). I like it and am waiting for Taranis to come into stock at Aloft Hobbies. But the DX9 is tempting.

(First batch of Taranis had some complaints of gimbal centering issues. Some of that is that is due to the fact that the OpenTx software gives you access to raw ADC numbers. I wonder how many users could actually detect a 0.3% error in stick centering while flying. Of course, you don't know what the centering error is on Spektrum TX's because they don't give you those numbers.)

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
(First batch of Taranis had some complaints of gimbal centering issues. Some of that is that is due to the fact that the OpenTx software gives you access to raw ADC numbers. I wonder how many users could actually detect a 0.3% error in stick centering while flying. Of course, you don't know what the centering error is on Spektrum TX's because they don't give you those numbers.)
It is a good question - but by the time you take in servo centering and gimbal centering you might add up to something that makes the plane feel less crisp.

I can usually detect poor centering servos VERY quickly.

The Taranis is something I will likely get to play around with. Once anyone can get/keep them in stock. It sounds like v2 or v3 is coming as well.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions