Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
DavidR8

Friends: (1)
Default I took the plunge

I traded some unused woodworking tools I had for a 1-flight, Fun Cub, a slightly more used Super Cub and a Futaba 7c 2.4GHz radio

Came with 2, 2200 Mah nanotech batteries, an extra receiver, extra wing and tail planes for the Super Cub (to be fair, the original wing Super Cub is a bit rough on the tips)

The Fun Cub is mint, including updated landing gear. The Super Cub, not so much but it will give me a bigger 3-channel experience than my Champ.

The only thing I don't have is a charger...

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 09-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Here is a nice inexpensive charger that will do it all, a lot of people like this charger, buy 2 of them and you can fly all day long

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

Power supply or use a converted Comp. power supply

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Chargers_.html

http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...r+power+supply

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Good luck with your new planes. Make sure you have enough room.

Six Keys to Success for New Pilots
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 09-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
DavidR8

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Good luck with your new planes. Make sure you have enough room.

Six Keys to Success for New Pilots
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18
Thanks, I've read that post several times, trying to drill the key points into my brain.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Well. David, your road to success is paved now. And you have the PERFECT Super Cub.

It will fly faster than your Champ, but will respond to controls in a much less twitchy way. Since it's faster your only problem could be one of over-control. Keep the speed down at first and get the feel of how she responds. It will be different, but not THAT different from the Champ.

Then you can add more speed. Keep your control movements small, bank angles moderate and get used to her. And relax.

You can because you can tell three things about her just by looking. She knows how to fly and has flown a lot. She knows how to crash and she's done that on occasion. And she knows how to SURVIVE, because there she is in front of you, battle scarred but flying great. This plane has already answered a lot of the questions we have when we pull the brand new spotless plane out of the box.

Go with it, relax and have fun!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
DavidR8

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Well. David, your road to success is paved now. And you have the PERFECT Super Cub.

It will fly faster than your Champ, but will respond to controls in a much less twitchy way. Since it's faster your only problem could be one of over-control. Keep the speed down at first and get the feel of how she responds. It will be different, but not THAT different from the Champ.

Then you can add more speed. Keep your control movements small, bank angles moderate and get used to her. And relax.

You can because you can tell three things about her just by looking. She knows how to fly and has flown a lot. She knows how to crash and she's done that on occasion. And she knows how to SURVIVE, because there she is in front of you, battle scarred but flying great. This plane has already answered a lot of the questions we have when we pull the brand new spotless plane out of the box.

Go with it, relax and have fun!
I'm pretty excited. If the weather holds I will probably get the SC out this evening. Going to hold off on the Fun Cub till I have some sense of what it is like to deal with a physically larger plane.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Best of luck taking it to the next step!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
DavidR8

Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
I'm pretty excited. If the weather holds I will probably get the SC out this evening. Going to hold off on the Fun Cub till I have some sense of what it is like to deal with a physically larger plane.
Well that didn't go as expected. I'm very mad at myself.

My SC is now in a tree because I was too anxious to fly. A bit too much wind for a small field and a rookie pilot. Not enough down elevator throw meant I literally couldn't fly it down: more throttle obviously created more altitude. The wind was sufficient to give me lift..... Who am I kidding, I was in over my head with a plane I'd never flown.

Hopefully we can rescue it tomorrow. I should have listened to my instinct and gone to the larger field.

No more for me till I get her down.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

it happens to all of us at some point.

a good flying site is half the battle. most of the reason I've stuck it out with a slow stick so long, I can grab it and run to the park whenever the wind dies down. my bigger models require a 30-45 minute drive. and it sucks to get skunked due to wind, and I've flown when I knew I shouldn't, and paid the price

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Sorry to hear about it David. Hopefully you'll get her down and the biggest loss will be the battery. The biggest thing is to always learn something. When you get her back and give her a once over to make sure nothing is cracked or broken or bent, make sure the control throws and CG are per the manual to get started. Wish I could help, but it's quite a drive to BC!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
DavidR8

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Sorry to hear about it David. Hopefully you'll get her down and the biggest loss will be the battery. The biggest thing is to always learn something. When you get her back and give her a once over to make sure nothing is cracked or broken or bent, make sure the control throws and CG are per the manual to get started. Wish I could help, but it's quite a drive to BC!
Thanks for the support everyone.

I was just running through the menus on the TX and the end points for the rudder are set to 118% left and 140% right. Based on the preflight there was what I thought was a lot of rudder throw but not an equal amount of elevator throw.

There is up elevator thrown but barely any down elevator throw.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
DavidR8

Default You raise a good point

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Thanks exmech2k,, appreciate the support. I actually don't have the manual for the SC. Need to find one.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
DavidR8

Default Hurray!!!!!

My good friends with the help of our local parks arborists rescued my SC.

Tonight I'm going through it front to back and top to bottom to make sure it is at least on spec.

The biggest issue I had last night was I was unable to fly it down under power because there was virtually no down elevator throw.
  • More throttle produced more altitude - not helpful
  • Less throttle meant I couldn't maintain heading
  • Hello plane eating tree
I'm hoping someone can give me a sense of how many degrees of elevator throw is reasonable for a SC. I read somewhere on the interweb that 15 degrees up or down is a good starting point.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

David,

Don't feel bad. I was in the woods looking for my Spitfire when I came upon a UM T-28:

I still have my SC and have it setup for float flys. Added ailerons, 2.4, you name it, I did the mod. With this 3 axis light plane you'll lose rudder authority at low air speeds near the ground. Elevator throws? No worries . What you can do with your 7C is apply dual rates. High rates =100% Low rates= 50-60 %. That way, it's switchable. Include some expo to smooth things out. Say 30% aileron, 30-40% % elevator and maybe 20% rudder. Futaba uses a minus value for expo. Opposite of Spektrum.

Good luck and let us know when you're ready for a PZ T-28 . LOL

-Hawk
Old 09-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

clock the control horn on your elevator servo.

I like mine 75% down elevator and 25% up on my high lift slow flying models.

really though, you should start near 50/50 and see how it responds. id prefer more up then down on most models. my planes that pitch up due to crazy power levels are the ones that need a ton of down for low high speed passes .

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
DavidR8

Default I was messing about tonight

The previous owner had the endpoints for the rudder set to 118 deg left and 140 deg right.

Having not flown it with any kind of consistency I can't say if that will work for me.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

First thing I would do ... set ALL controls to default 100 - 100 throws.

Get rid of that rudder offset on throws ...

Get equal elevator down and up ...

Then set Dual Rates to 100% full and 60% reduced rate.

Give a bit of expo on each ... say about 25 - 30% ...

At least one thing learnt : Check out NEW radio settings BEFORE use !!

Next : Check all works on re-flight check ... you would have seen that lack of DOWN elevator ...

Hope not too much damage to model.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #18
DavidR8

Default Good advice

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
First thing I would do ... set ALL controls to default 100 - 100 throws.

Get rid of that rudder offset on throws ...

Get equal elevator down and up ...

Then set Dual Rates to 100% full and 60% reduced rate.

Give a bit of expo on each ... say about 25 - 30% ...

At least one thing learnt : Check out NEW radio settings BEFORE use !!

Next : Check all works on re-flight check ... you would have seen that lack of DOWN elevator ...

Hope not too much damage to model.

Nigel
Very little damage actually. It was a very slow speed affair so just little dent on the right side leading edge of the right wing.

I'm going to pull the wing this weekend and check the servos because I can't get equal up/down throw at the elevator.

I did see the lack of down but thought the previous owner had it set up to fly..... Last time I'm ever making that assumption. Even flight to flight...

Old 09-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Equal throw needs 90 degree servo arm / control horn to the link rod ... any other angle will give offset.
Many people set up servos with arm 90 deg to the servo body ... which is actually not correct. (If equal movement is required).

Older servos such as Futaba back in 70's etc. had square output shafts and the arms had very little option other than same ... except some where the arm had multiple star design to allow to be set at another angle. Todays servos have splines - to allow you to set at the angle best suited. Don''t forget also that servo arms are all different in regard to angles. Try different arms, swap round etc. you will find that each has slightly different alignment ... it may mean cutting a multi arm to get the desired angle.

ALWAYS have Tx setting as default and centred when setting up servos. It's actually why I prefer to use a servo tester .. that way you have dead centre regardless.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #20
DavidR8

Default Hurray!

Success with the SC was had today!

Went to a much larger field, with minimal plane magnets.

Dropped in a 2200 mah battery, full control check. DR on low. All good. Powered up to 3/4 throttle, took a few good steps forward and launched her level. She climbed nicely at 3/4 so a few laps around the field and I was at a good altitude.

I adjusted the trims a bit for level flight at 1/2 throttle and it was beauty.

More laps each direction, some slow passes and a dead stick landing for the first battery. Nose over but the grass is long.

Second battery, same story: easy hand launch and some laps of the field. Tried using the throttle for altitude control and managed to get a sense of its effect.

Tried a couple of loops to get a sense of the degree of control from the elevator. All good till the battery dropped out and the prop saver band broke at the bottom of the loop. Brought her in again under no power.

Much to my amazement the battery and prop were within a foot of each other on the grass.

All in all, a much better second outing.

Update: came home and rigged up a nifty velco mount. pics to follow.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #21
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
Success with the SC was had today!

Went to a much larger field, with minimal plane magnets.

Dropped in a 2200 mah battery, full control check. DR on low. All good. Powered up to 3/4 throttle, took a few good steps forward and launched her level. She climbed nicely at 3/4 so a few laps around the field and I was at a good altitude.

I adjusted the trims a bit for level flight at 1/2 throttle and it was beauty.

More laps each direction, some slow passes and a dead stick landing for the first battery. Nose over but the grass is long.

Second battery, same story: easy hand launch and some laps of the field. Tried using the throttle for altitude control and managed to get a sense of its effect.

Tried a couple of loops to get a sense of the degree of control from the elevator. All good till the battery dropped out and the prop saver band broke at the bottom of the loop. Brought her in again under no power.

Much to my amazement the battery and prop were within a foot of each other on the grass.

All in all, a much better second outing.

Yup, and as for trees and such, good practice is to NEVER NEVER allow the model to fly below line of sight to any obstacles in the background like those trees.

Your depth perception is not that good with these models. We had a 60 foot tree at our flying field that would bag a model at least a couple of times a year, those being $$$$ giant scale gassers.

Finally got the county employees to cut it down as a safety hazard!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #22
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I bet there was one big smile on your face !!

Just a comment .... many people take steps etc. when launching ... very few models in fact need it ... and in fact can actually lead to a LESS controlled launch ...

Watch Youtube ... you see the guy run a few steps, literally stop and then throw the model ... instead of the stood still, controlled push it really needs.

But great news ... (get that battery holder sorted !! and prop on properly ... next time might not be so lucky !!)

Nigek

Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
DavidR8

I located some blue Thera-Band this afternoon and cut some into rings as per this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419378

But after doing a bit of research I'm a bit nervous that my EMax 2215 and APC 9x9 motor/prop combo is a bit much for a propsaver. EMax does sell the motor with a propsaver but recommend model weight of 300-900 grams. AUW for a stock Cub is 715g. I know mine is at least 815g because my battery is 100g more than stock.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

9x9 ... that's a big high pitch meaty prop for a band adaptor ...

I personally would not use a prop saver on larger than 8x6 and then it's the crap flexi props. On decent APC / Tp sport etc. - I use a proper threaded adaptor.

For retaining rings ... I use Oil Seal rings available at local Auto shop for about $0.10 for a bunch of .. I buy one size DOWN from the design ring supplied with the saver. It means that I have to use a stiff wire or screwdriver end to get it over the screw heads ... but I know it's secure.

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners