Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
DavidR8

Friends: (1)
Default Balancing plug connections and other mysteries

I'm trying to figure out what board, adaptor or other device I need to connect my the batteries that came with my new-to-me Super Cub and Fun Cub to this charger: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

The XT60 connections are obvious to me. What is confusing to me is the balancing plug connection.

Here's a few pics to illustrate:
What will I need to connect the two different balancing plugs to the charger?

Lastly, my new toys came with this little gem which I know is a voltmeter but I can only make it work on one type of the batteries...

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
DavidR8

Default Connector pics

Ok the images didn't post right... Sorry

As I was saying...
Here are the connection types I have:
Connector 1
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	171112

Connector 2

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	171113

Voltmeter attached to connector 1
There are four pins in the voltmeter

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	171114

I also have the little adapter that plugs onto the voltmeter. It has six pins that are more closely spaced than connector 1 but fit perfectly into connector 2. Problem is the voltmeter doesn't read anything. I know there's power there because the battery has sufficient power to taxi the Super Cub up and down my street.

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	171115

I don't have any concerns about chargers and the XT60 plugs, it's the little plugs that have me wondering.

as always, noob latitude is really appreciated.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Looking at the link and your pictures, I think you're all set. It looks like the same main connector and balance plugs are pretty universal.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

the thunder power batteries have a different balancing plug.

you will need to make or purchase an adapter or cut it off and wire up a new one to standardize between your batteries.

as far as I can tell, the one negative pin is just spaced out one more on those connectors.

the purpose of the balancing is because each individual cell should never exceed about 4.2v's or it can actually cause the battery to combust. fully charged should read 12.6v's on a 3 cell. without balance charging, it might over charge one cell to an unsafe level.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

There are at least 3 different balance plug systems

Fortunately the most common is used by Sky LiPo, Turnigy and most of the other "economy" brands. This is the wider pin spacing with ground followed by each successive pin adding 3.7v (nominal)
This one will direct fit the balance port on Turnigy, Hitec and many other chargers.

The error with your little voltage checker was probably just plugging it in reversed. This doesn't hurt most of the checkers of that style. If it was one that can be damaged by plugging in reverse you would have smelled the smoke quickly.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
DavidR8

Thumbs up Got it to work!

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post

Fortunately the most common is used by Sky LiPo, Turnigy and most of the other "economy" brands. This is the wider pin spacing with ground followed by each successive pin adding 3.7v (nominal)
This one will direct fit the balance port on Turnigy, Hitec and many other chargers.

The error with your little voltage checker was probably just plugging it in reversed. This doesn't hurt most of the checkers of that style. If it was one that can be damaged by plugging in reverse you would have smelled the smoke quickly.
I realized that while I had tried all of the possible pin location combos (4->6->4) I hadn't tried flipping the balance plug over to reorient the ground to the voltmeter. Flipped over it works great. Thanks for the mental nudge!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
nidly

Friends: (0)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batt...criptions.html
Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
DavidR8

Default I'm still confused

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post

I borrowed this charger. All of my batts have two plugs, one I presume is the balancing plug, the other is the 'discharge' plug' with an XT60 plug on the end.

Because this charger only has the two or three cell type connections, I'm assuming that with the charger, the XT plug is irrelevant. Or am I off track?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	171172  

Old 09-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

You are correct. Only the balance plug connects into this one, and it gets charged through it. Don't forget to set the charge rate to the correct setting!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
DavidR8

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
You are correct. Only the balance plug connects into this one, and it gets charged through it. Don't forget to set the charge rate to the correct setting!
Good to know I'm sort of figuring this all out. In my RC car days, batteries had only one plug. Made it easy to figure out!

Tomorrow, I'm set to cannibalize an old computer to make a power supply.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I had several of these chargers. I had 5 1800mah batteries and 4 chargers. when I went flying, I had two plugged into my cigarette lighters and two under the hood. this way I could fly continuously without having to wait for batteries.

the ones I left in the cigarette charger while I drove home always burned up no matter what. I would only use those charger with 12's and nothing higher. also make sure you disconnect the battery once its done charging. if you don't, it will discharge until the battery is completely flat.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
DavidR8

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I had several of these chargers. I had 5 1800mah batteries and 4 chargers. when I went flying, I had two plugged into my cigarette lighters and two under the hood. this way I could fly continuously without having to wait for batteries.

the ones I left in the cigarette charger while I drove home always burned up no matter what. I would only use those charger with 12's and nothing higher. also make sure you disconnect the battery once its done charging. if you don't, it will discharge until the battery is completely flat.
When you say 12's, do you mean 1200 Mah?

Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

sorry, ment 12v's. stupid auto spell.

I still have two chargers like yours, and I use them to pre-charge batteries all the time. the balance seems to be hit or miss, but ill bet I have over 500charge cycles on each one. I have used them for up to a 4000mah 3 cell and a 3000mah 4 cell.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
DavidR8

Default I have to say...

A bit of google-fu on charging lipo's is enough to scare the bejeebuzz out of a guy.

For example: Complete Guide to Lithium Polymer Batteries and LiPo Failure ...
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

I'm paying attention now!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I used to charge all my batteries in my room. after having one.blow up on flight, o know charge on the middle of a cement floor on a ceramic dish.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers