Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
bcmiles

Friends: (0)
Default Lost Super Cub, Need a New One

I went flying last night and lost control of my HZ Super Cub while flying over a neighborhood. I'm not sure what happened but I lost control somehow. There was no wind, ACT was turned off, and the plane quit responding to my TX. Anywho... I've looked in trees and yards but cannot find it. I'm about to go put some signs out hoping its in someone's backyard. The neighborhood has lots of dogs, large trees, pools, etc.

I've been thinking and I'd like to go ahead and get another plane in the event mine doesn't get returned. I really like the Super Cub and I'm still learning to fly. I've gotten better with the Super Cub but have not mastered it. I definitely want to stay with a foamie but wouldn't mind getting a plane with ailerons. I have the Spektrum dx4e TX, I'm assuming its easy to pair the TX with a new plane.

So what do you guys think? Should a novice pilot stick with a Super Cub or is there another trainer airplane with ailerons?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
bcmiles

My apologies, I admit I didn't do a whole lot of research on other beginner planes (I was antsy). My main concern is moving to a plane with ailerons or sticking with controls similar to the SC.

After looking around, it looks like the Apprentice might be the next plane I purchase. I really like slow flying and am in no hurry to start performing stunts, just want to takeoff, cruise around, and land flawlessly.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Hi bc. sorry to hear you lost your plane. This is why it's a good idea to have your name and phone number on or in it. Also, maybe not a great idea to fly in a neighborhood while you're still learning, if at all. Sounds like you were having range problems with the SC. Did you do a range check? Enough preaching though! If you want to fly around slow & easy, stay away from the Apprentice. While it can fly slow, she can fly pretty fast too. If you like an aileron plane, I'd recommend the new Delta Ray. Though the Super Cub is a great plane, the Delta Ray has that new SAFE technology and training modes.

Edit: I went to A&P school in Tulsa many years ago. It seems to me there were lots of wide open spaces around there!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Possibly upgrading to 4 channel will be helpful... possibly it will just make things harder for you. Can't tell without being there to see you fly.

I can suggest going to the Dynam Cub at Nitroplanes.com if you do go to 4 channel. Very similar size and performance to the Hobby Zone Super Cub, but with the added channel. Price isn't bad either. (also available available without the radio)
Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
DavidR8

Default That really suck

I'm also a novice pilot and have twice tree'ed my planes. First my Champ, luckily at a height low enough for retrieval with my extendable tree pruner.

Th second was my SC, about 40 ft up. Thankfully, my local parks folks were happy to pick it out so that no kids were tempted to climb and retrieve it.

Good idea on the name and number...

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Rltkktlr

I would recommend getting ailerons ASAP. I assume you have been flying with rudder on your right thumb? If so you have already developed bad habits. I can say this because now that I have moved to my second plane a parkzone T28 has ailerons, and realized right away my left thumb is not working the rudder enough. Rudder is necessary with ailerons for coordinated turns and x wind landings and takeoffs. You could get another cub and either add ailerons yourself or have a good hobby shop do it. Also a simulator is worth it's weight. Good luck.
Bob
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Learn about Plane Locators
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=237

Be sure your name and phone number is in your plane.

Super Cub was a great choice and is still a great choice so another one would not be a mistake.

I have no idea how confident you were with the Super Cub but the Apprentice would be an excellent choice as a next plane IF you were already doing well with the Super Cub.

or you might consider the Delta Ray
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-HBZ7900

If you were struggling with the SC then you might consider the Stratos.

Stratos
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...os-rtf-HBZ7700

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Especially for a new pilot--don't fly over neighborhoods! You should find a field where all your flying is confined to the cleared area. Your plane WILL come down in places you don't plan, especially while you're first learning. It will make your life more difficult, but finding a place where you don't overfly trees, houses, roads, FENCES! or other plane eating obstacles can make your learning experience much easier and cheaper.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
bcmiles

Thank you everyone for the responses. I ended up buying an Apprentice.

The area why I fly is quite large, probably 3 football fields in size. I never fly over houses intentionally but when my plane lost connection with the Tx, it took off away from me. There have been 5-10 MPH winds here everyday since I bought it so I haven't had a chance to fly yet, hopefully this evening.

Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
RobinA

Club: West Florida Modelers

I feel for ya.Over a year ago my Super Cub took off banked left and never looked back.No control,a bad feeling.Put up signs etc. no reponse.

Robin
Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
eliworm

Originally Posted by Rltkktlr View Post
I would recommend getting ailerons ASAP. I assume you have been flying with rudder on your right thumb? If so you have already developed bad habits. I can say this because now that I have moved to my second plane a parkzone T28 has ailerons, and realized right away my left thumb is not working the rudder enough. Rudder is necessary with ailerons for coordinated turns and x wind landings and takeoffs. You could get another cub and either add ailerons yourself or have a good hobby shop do it. Also a simulator is worth it's weight. Good luck.
Bob
A person does not develop bad habits just by flying a 3 channel plane. To the OP, if you enjoy a 3 channel, go with a 3 channel. If you want 4 go with 4. It's all about having fun. Practice good technique with whatever plane you happen to be flying. In the long run you will be able to handle and enjoy anything you fly.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I had the SC and modded her to hilt. Ailerons, 2.4, BL, you name it. I like what I see at our field from the FNG's with the Apprentice S and the Sensei. Dynam Cub and Gamma too. I'd personally go with ailerons so when you when you step up to your next plane like the PZ T-28, you're ready. Nothing wrong with staying with the rudder only though. The one thing about rudder only planes I don't like is that at low speed, like an approach with the SC, the rudder loses authority and stops flying.

I was told early on NOT to place my name on my planes. Why? Plausible deniability . I think it was a lawyer who gave me that advice. " What? my plane went through your windshield?" LOL
Old 11-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
Dynoman024
Twotter Pilot

Did the Super Cub ever return home?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
RobinA

Club: West Florida Modelers

Originally Posted by Dynoman024 View Post
Did the Super Cub ever return home?
No,but I bought one that looked just like it.It even had the same numbers !!

Robin

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners