Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)
Build Review Best Canopy Glue ?

Hi Everyone Whats the best Canopy glue to use, I tried to glue a canopy to the outside edge of a balsa hatch with 5 min Epoxy and just made a mess and the canopy just popped loose from the hatch, my good old trusted 5 min epoxy does not like smooth plastic, 1st attempt Failed, I cleaned off all the old epoxy, sanded the canopy edge a little and tried some Multi purpose adhesive, it looks and smells like that Clear Vinyl Glue, Dang that stuff Stinks, I have my room ventilated with a fan, but the fumes still got to me and gave me a headache, been fighting this canopy all day, the canopy is made from a thicker plastic than normal, its on the stiff side, Well I am going to let it dry over night and see what happens, this is the 2nd attempt, if that fails, i might have to cut the canopy down a little more and glue it to the top surface, where there will be no stress on the plastic, maybe that might work, I had to cut down a larger canopy to make it fit on a scratch built plane, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/liv...115513-product

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The LHS owner sold me Formula '560' "The World's Best Canopy Glue" (That's what it says on the bottle) from Pacer. But he said it's the same as Elmers white glue. It's worked great on my foamies. Dries clear and stays flexible.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
The LHS owner sold me Formula '560' "The World's Best Canopy Glue" (That's what it says on the bottle) from Pacer. But he said it's the same as Elmers white glue. It's worked great on my foamies. Dries clear and stays flexible.
Thank you I will have to try it, Elmers glue dries kind of a white color, so it must be a little different, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Unclebuck21228

Club: Sumter Model Airplane Club
Friends: (0)

I'll second the formula 560. I think it's also called rc56 or was at one time. I wouldn't put a canopy on without it. Goes on milky, dries clear and and flexible. When dry, it has an excellent bond.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
Tarasdad

Club: Flying Swashbucklers

Pacer Formula 560 it what I use as well. Despite what the LHS guy said it isn't the same as Elmer's, not even close. An alternative is very careful use of thin CA, wicked under the edge of the canopy in VERY small amounts to keep it from fogging the clear plastic.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

I use "Wallpaper Repair Glue" by Zinsser from the local hardware store. It also smells like Elmer's glue. Takes a while to dry, but dries clear. It's rubbery and holds tight. Can also be pealed off if stuck to smooth plastic.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Unclebuck21228 View Post
I'll second the formula 560. I think it's also called rc56 or was at one time. I wouldn't put a canopy on without it. Goes on milky, dries clear and and flexible. When dry, it has an excellent bond.
Originally Posted by Tarasdad View Post
Pacer Formula 560 it what I use as well. Despite what the LHS guy said it isn't the same as Elmer's, not even close. An alternative is very careful use of thin CA, wicked under the edge of the canopy in VERY small amounts to keep it from fogging the clear plastic.
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
I use "Wallpaper Repair Glue" by Zinsser from the local hardware store. It also smells like Elmer's glue. Takes a while to dry, but dries clear. It's rubbery and holds tight. Can also be pealed off if stuck to smooth plastic.
Thanks Everyone I will try the Formula 560 and Wallpaper glue, Something has to work Take care, Chellie

Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Doesn't matter - I'm still gonna blow your canopy off....
Old 10-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Doesn't matter - I'm still gonna blow your canopy off....

Bring it on LOL

Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Yup, Plus1 on that "Worlds Best Canopy Glue".

It starts off milky white so you know where it is. Then 24 hours later, its completely transparent. And, properly applied, it stays put.

Be ready to put lots of blue painting tape or similar to hold the canopy in place for 24 hours or so.

Also, I wouldn't use CA. Did that once. Don't ask.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Solvent free contact adhesive .... but join the two BEFORE it is tacky-dry.

Silicon glue ....

On some of my canopies - I've actually taped them on ... knowing I had to do framing - I used desired frame colour insulation tape .... as you can stretch it tight to remove wrinkles / creases. The beauty of this - is the strengthening of canopy against splits etc.

CA - no - as many foams don't like it ... and if any runs - it fogs the plastic.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Solvent free contact adhesive .... but join the two BEFORE it is tacky-dry.

Silicon glue ....

On some of my canopies - I've actually taped them on ... knowing I had to do framing - I used desired frame colour insulation tape .... as you can stretch it tight to remove wrinkles / creases. The beauty of this - is the strengthening of canopy against splits etc.

CA - no - as many foams don't like it ... and if any runs - it fogs the plastic.

Nigel
Yep , I Have a Love / Hate Relation ship with Canopies I love the way they look with a pilot inside, But I Hate to try to fit them and glue them in Place with out making a Mess Scratch one canopy I fudged it up , Ok Off to try to find another canopy that might fit better, Take care, Chellie

Old 10-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

You want to try the compound curve glazing of my J3 cub ... I gave up trying to glue the front part ... in the end I used clear tape and had that long enough to fold round formers etc. to hold.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to do that one. But stupid thing is - after various hard landings, cartwheels etc. - its still in place and fine !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
Al_M

I often wonder about Aleene's Tacky Glue sold at craft stores. It looks and smells a lot like canopy glue. I haven't tried it yet.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

+1 w/ Formula 560. Dries clear.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Al_M View Post
I often wonder about Aleene's Tacky Glue sold at craft stores. It looks and smells a lot like canopy glue. I haven't tried it yet.
Many of the brand name glues we use are available under generic or craft names ... often greater volume or cheaper price ...

If you have an example of the Hobby Shop glue ... a careful comparison of label showing type, composition, warnings and use ... gives a very good indicator to use to determine the generic variety.

Gorila Glue is a good example ... Bison PU Wood glue is exactly same in all respects in label description of type, use and warnings etc. In use it exhibits exact same characteristics ... foaming, drying time, sandability, etc. etc.

It's worth testing it ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft