Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Karnsy

Friends: (0)
Default What P51 Mustang To Purchase ?

I am looking to purchase a new P51 Mustang but I am not sure which one to get. I have been looking at the ones around 1100mm by Airfield, Dynam and Parkzone. Does anyone have a recommendation. I fly off a short cut grass on a soccer field so I should have a decent landing gear under her. Any ideas would be great. Thanks...
Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by Karnsy View Post
I am looking to purchase a new P51 Mustang but I am not sure which one to get. I have been looking at the ones around 1100mm by Airfield, Dynam and Parkzone. Does anyone have a recommendation. I fly off a short cut grass on a soccer field so I should have a decent landing gear under her. Any ideas would be great. Thanks...
Well I dont own any of the mustangs from Airfield or Dynam, wish i did very nice looking planes. I do however have 2 flying buddies who do and we fly from a soccer field and they cant take off from the field and have to belly land on grass. Obviously they can take off from the parking lot but it needs to be empty. I do own the Parkzone mustang its not 1100 mm but I love it I hand toss it and belly land it and it flies great. Loves the wind and it never fails to impress me. It will stall if you are not careful while landing, just was reminded of that this weekend when i doinked it into the grass because of a stall but damage was minimal need a cowl and a prop and she is back up.
Good luck with your choice

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Karnsey,
This is one plane where there are a boatload of choices depending largely on how much you want to spend. I have the small 800mm PZ Gunfighter but it's just a hand launch toss in the air plane I use to warm up sometimes. I own or have owned virtually all of the major brands out there including Dynam,Parkzone, Durafly, Freewing, Airfield, FMS, HK private label, Art-tech, you name it.

I'm especially on the look out for non nose-over planes as I also fly off a grass field which for the most part is not as well groomed as say, a nice park soccer field. In fact, nose-over is my number 1 criteria for plane selection with LG. The main issue is usually the forward rake angle of the main LG. Some can be easily modded to increase this angle. I've done this successfully on a few planes like the Dynam FW-190 and Spitfire. Size and weight matters also. Saw a HK Dago P-51 the other day that had no issues. Pretty big plane. It won our "model of the month" contest.

Durafly(HK) is well known for their 1100mm series of warbirds. They do this more or less for shipping reasons I'm told.. FMS has a series in the 1400mm size. Dynam is generally in the 1200mm size. Pricewise, Dynam is probably on the low end where Freewing is most likely the high, at least for foamies.

For P-51's, I'd check the you tubes showing grass field handling. Find one that looks promising and then dig deeper on the RCG threads. Ask questions about it. The click.

My 2 favorite brands along these line are FMS and Freewing. Both make high quality planes IMO. Check out www.motionrc.com ( my favorite plane online HS) or Nitroplanes. Get something at least 1400mm WS IMO. Think 4S.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

-Hawk
Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Here is an interesting option not a Mustang but looks pretty close to what you may be looking for. ha removable wing as well which is nice for transport

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17693

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Fish,

Sweet plane ! Great deal too ! Would make my short list, that's for sure. I have the 1400mm FMS P-40 that I bought used for $80.00 cause the guy on RCG gave up on her. I call her my rescue P-40.LOL In a way, I think the P-51 , though iconic and endeared, has been overdone in the foam world.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Interested in a real Mustang you can ROG (Rise off Grass) with?

http://www.empirerc.com/hyperion-p-5...rf-p-1886.html

The price is low!

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Interested in a real Mustang you can ROG (Rise off Grass) with?

http://www.empirerc.com/hyperion-p-5...rf-p-1886.html

The price is low!
It's a beauty but not sure I would fly it at the park/soccer field.

I like the Tower Mustang (no gear) and the Parkzone one as well again no gear. In fact the Alfa was nice too!

Mike
Old 10-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Ahh.... well for park size Mustang fun,

This is one of my recommends:

http://www.empirerc.com/hacker-model...rf-p-4415.html

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 10-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
Karnsy

All excellent suggestions and info thank you all very much. Keep it coming please. I have not pulled the trigger yet but I am leaning towards the

"Airfield 6 Channel P51 Mustang Warbird 1100mm "

I have seen video of it taking off and landing in short grass.
Seems like a good price and well made ? I know this is subjective but I could always pull the landing gear and belly land.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

karnsey,

I like your choice. If I'm not mistaken, Airfield and FMS are really the same company. If you're going w/ Nitroplanes, check around for free shipping deals or a discount coupon. The sales are upon us ! I see a code on RCG all the time. Will save you 5% there. I did see a code for 15% off Airfield warbirds at Nitro: GRDOTD15

See if that works.

Let us know how it goes.

-Hawk
Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Karnsy

Well I just could not get by the 1100mm by Airfield. I ordered it and it will be here by the middle of next week. Tried the discount coupon number dahawk but it did not work but not bad anyway @ $159.

I just hope the retracts hold up on very short (a little bumpy grass) or I will have to retrofit them some how. Maybe find a different kind the will fit that are more rugged or to the front more. I just prefer taking off and landing as opposed to hand launch and belly landing. I will know soon enough I guess. Thanks to all again for your input and help.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Congrats ! It's always exciting getting a new plane. I'm on my third this month -LOL It's like Christmas when they arrive at the door. Look for threads and youtubes for any recommended mods. Worse case, if it suffers from the dreaded nose-overs, you may have to rake the LG forward but that's not hard to do. See how she behaves first. Might be okay out of the box. To keep the tail down, apply full elevator on the take off roll then ease off then apply again at rotation.

On landing , once you touch down and start the rollout, get back on the elevator to hold the tail down.

Post pics and vids when possible. We all share our new toys here.

Best of luck, I think you'll like Airfield/FMS.

-Hawk
Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Foamies and so on are great for quickness of getting into the air ... but have you considered a traditional build job ?

One of the best P51's ever was the Royal / Marutaka P51 ... only change I made to it being to add a second strip to the wing T/E ... as it was a bit on the thin side to my liking.

It would convert to electrics easily ... glow power I had in it was HB50 ... so a decent 46 - 60 equivalent BL would be magic and keep the nose / cowl form without the engine cut-outs. It's just right for retracts ...

Put that on the flight line and I am sure you will have everyone oohing and arrrring ... and not be one of the same as thousands other foam P51's ... be a little different !!

The flaps on it really worked ... it was an absolute joy to fly. Sadly I lost mine to a failed factory built Rx power pack ...

If I had reasonable flight area with short grass etc. - it would be top of my '51 list ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The Tower Hobbies Mustang is a great plane and a great value. The landing gear, unfortunately, are a bit of a weak spot but I hand launch and belly land mine.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

All our Soccer fields are bad. They are basically a bunch of lumpy grass clumps cut to the same height. Broken L G almost every flight.
2 options.
Belly landings with glass cloth on the rubbing areas. Or finding the good grass AROUND the playing field.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

I second the Tower Hobbies Mustang. Yes, the LG is a weak spot, but I reinforced mine using Beacon Foam-Tac and the LG stays put. She has great flying tendencies and once you get it down, landing her is pretty easy.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics