Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Microsoft Windows "Bing" home page

Completely off topic from RC, but a club member asked how to get rid of Microsofts "Bing" software from taking over your computers home page.

I got hit with that yesterday. And, after several hours of trying to get rid of it, only to have it come back repeatedly, contacted Microsoft. Microsofts response, "Why do you hate the program???" Microsoft issued several different solutions. None of them worked. It's interesting, a google search on how to rid your computer of that Bing home page issue ran 26 pages of complaints.

At any rate, the only solution I could find was to install and pay for "Spyhunter" at $39.00. This program identified Bing as malware that repeatedly hijacks your home page. I installed it, ran it, and so far, lo and behold, Bing is gone. Spyhunter found 27 pieces of Bing in my computer, spread all over the place, including the root directory files that most virus programs can not access.

Did find out that Bing is apparently installed by some of those Windows automatic update programs, issued by Microsoft itself.

http://www.enigmasoftware.com/produc...FScSMwodUm4AkQ

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

I had that issue 6 months ago.....I use SpyHunter and Advanced Systems Care. Both track, log and remove all malware and system registry errors, plus you can customize both to routinely monitor and or scan disc for continued marketing "spy" applications that we all pick-up during web searches and purchases.

Side Noted:

Web sites like HK, Nitroplanes, Xheli, Hobbypartz, and most E-bay sites are notorious for heavy use of internet tracking bugs.....trust me, if not removed over time, even the latest, fastest opperating systems will get bogged down eventually.....and there is no Microsoft software out there that will do the job as well.

AMA 928214
Old 10-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (26)

I use Malwarebytes and Temp File Cleaner (both free), and run them every few days. Keeps the computers (even this old Windows XP machine) free of bugs and running smoothly. Malwarebytes is set up to update and scan every day, but I have to run TFC manually.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
I had that issue 6 months ago.....I use SpyHunter and Advanced Systems Care. Both track, log and remove all malware and system registry errors, plus you can customize both to routinely monitor and or scan disc for continued marketing "spy" applications that we all pick-up during web searches and purchases.

Side Noted:

Web sites like HK, Nitroplanes, Xheli, Hobbypartz, and most E-bay sites are notorious for heavy use of internet tracking bugs.....trust me, if not removed over time, even the latest, fastest opperating systems will get bogged down eventually.....and there is no Microsoft software out there that will do the job as well.
Yeah,
I got Spybot, and the full Norton package. Neither one found the Bing issue.

DennyV
Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Thats Why I got Rid of Windows, and am using Ubuntu with a Firefox Browser, no more problems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_...ting_system%29

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Thats Why I got Rid of Windows, and am using Ubuntu with a Firefox Browser, no more problems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_...ting_system%29

Bing reloaded itself back on my computer.

DennyV
Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I'm no fanboy of Microsoft, but I don't think they'd be stupid enough to be the ones doing this. Probably a third party trying to make them look bad. You also have to watch out when updating our installing some programs for those check boxes that are already checked for you. .. 'Make Bing your home page', 'Install xxxx to your task bar', etc. It always gets my parents and I have to play IT over the phone with them to fix it!

But if it's coming back on its own, sounds more like one of them trojans or malware or whichever does these things.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Denny, if you're currently using Windows, consider switching to Google Chrome. A computer savvy coworker suggested it to me and is the best thing I ever did with my pc. You can even import your favorites so you don't lose them.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Denny, if you're currently using Windows, consider switching to Google Chrome. A computer savvy coworker suggested it to me and is the best thing I ever did with my pc. You can even import your favorites so you don't lose them.
Yeah, my computer is using Google Chrome.

DennyV
Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I'm no fanboy of Microsoft, but I don't think they'd be stupid enough to be the ones doing this. Probably a third party trying to make them look bad. You also have to watch out when updating our installing some programs for those check boxes that are already checked for you. .. 'Make Bing your home page', 'Install xxxx to your task bar', etc. It always gets my parents and I have to play IT over the phone with them to fix it!

But if it's coming back on its own, sounds more like one of them trojans or malware or whichever does these things.
Yeah
This is direct from the Microsoft Web Page.
Bing desktop was released through the windows update system,
Which is where you can Uninstall the update from,
Go to Uninstall a program or Programs and features,
On the top left click on View installed updates,
Scroll the list, it might take a minute or two to completely load all of the updates.
Right click it and click on Uninstall, it should be listed as, Bing desktop search.
P.S.
Change how you receive windows Recommended updates so when you uninstall it, it will not reload.

I've done these instructions, it doesn't show up anywhere.

DennyV
Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Well I use Spybot - Search and Destroy ... and Crap cleaner ... both as free versions - not the Pro.

I have no problem with Bing ... even though I agree to install updates.

The only time I see Bing is when I ask a page to be translated - then it's an option in the drop-down menu. But I still have Google as my home page ..

Occasionally an installation of another app will try to change my home page / search engine ... but I refuse to allow it. Either by unclicking check box - often they make it a little hard to do that ... but go to Custom install and it is easier ... or by interrupting the install and skip.
Some b****** though make such crap part of their system and you can't operate the app without it. OK - so I dump that app and use another.

MS has for years tried to control what browser we use ... even had court cases over it ... so no surprise there !

Now even apps are starting to pop up boxes telling that unless you have Chrome installed - you will lose some functionality .... so Google is at it as well now ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Denny....

Are you using the Spyhunter Pro....?

If so, it works best while (actively) running in the backgound while on-line. My old laptop (the one I'm on now) Windows XP professional version, seems to adapt to it whether or not using Explorer Goggle Chrome........It did have an issue with Firefox (not Bing related), which I have dumped since the Spyhunter addition......you may need to run a security disk scan (the whole version) of Spyhunter a couple of times to weed out all of the "bugs"......I did and then ran the Windows Defrag, re-set the Spyhunter configuaration.....and was good to go. Been running for the last 6 months without a hitch.

AMA 928214
Old 10-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Denny....

Are you using the Spyhunter Pro....?

If so, it works best while (actively) running in the backgound while on-line. My old laptop (the one I'm on now) Windows XP professional version, seems to adapt to it whether or not using Explorer Goggle Chrome........It did have an issue with Firefox (not Bing related), which I have dumped since the Spyhunter addition......you may need to run a security disk scan (the whole version) of Spyhunter a couple of times to weed out all of the "bugs"......I did and then ran the Windows Defrag, re-set the Spyhunter configuaration.....and was good to go. Been running for the last 6 months without a hitch.
Yeah, I'm running Spyhunter Pro.

Will try the Defrag, if that program exists in Windows 8

Thanks for the info.

DennyV
Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Windows 8 calls it "optimize drives"......

AMA 928214
Old 10-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I quit using Microsoft products 10 years ago, and haven't looked back.

my android smart phone has 90% of the functionality of a computer with very few draw backs. I also went to linux on all of my home systems a while ago. my favorites were ubuntu and knoppix(although I'm sure both are very dated now...)

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Default Found Pictures in my hard drive

Just ran across something very weird on my computer hard drive. There were a whole bunch of files named Picture1, Picture2, Picture3 and so on that appeared in several different directories.

Taking a look at the file, it is a snapshot of my computer screen on every one of them. Many of them were put into my computer on the same day. I did not install any of them. Looking at the properties of these "Pictures", the computer ID'd them as a Shortcut. The shortcut consisted of "Go.microsoft.***" Several internet places indicate that this go.microsoft.extrastuff is a direct link to that Bing program.

So, I went to Windows button plus E for the C: drive, and ran a search for any file name with "Picture" in it, that also showed the computer screen. There were a number of directories in my hard drive with this file in it. I found over 30 copies in all.

Also checked on my other hard drives in this computer, no other Picture named files that showed up as "Shortcuts" were found.

Does anyone out there know what this is, and how it got into my computer?

DennyV
Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Denny ... we all know that Microsoft pays only lip-service to the Courts ruling of stopping the collection of usage data ...

I know that IE on all versions of Windoze has data collection and sends this back in the 'safe anonymous' connection to MS. It is in my opinion complete rubbish that MS would not know where data comes from ..

For most IE installations - this data sending can be disabled .. I'm not sure about Win8 ... as I only just started to have to use it ... and I would be surprised if it's not even deeper embedded - being the 'media windows' they say it is.

Lets be honest - they ALL do it ... MS, Apple, Google ... they all spy on your use ...

I think the key there with the pictures is the ... go.windows. xxxx

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Default Status Update: Bing Removal from Kyleservicetechs PC

I have been trying to remove Bing from my computer for several weeks. Tried all of the stuff listed in every Google search I could find. NONE of them worked.

This morning at 4:30 AM was the last straw. My wife woke me up and indicated there is a terrible noise going on down stairs. I investigated, found my computer was on, and that Damnded Bing program was flashing lightning in its screen, and blasting thunder and lightning through my computer speakers.

We had thunderstorm watches in the area.

My wife is 100% disabled, and had she gone down stairs to investigate, she could have fallen down the steps and not been found for hours.

Some sick idiot in Microsoft thought this feature would be useful. To me, it is not useful, and really could have caused a very serious accident. This Bing program is NOT useful, very few people appreciate Microsoft putting this program on their computers with no way to remove it.

If you define an unwanted program as a virus, then Microsoft itself put a virus into my computer.

I contacted www.JustAnswer.com this AM, and for $38, it took them 98 minutes to remove all traces of Bing from my computer. Among other locations, justanswer found a dozen Bing commands in my computers registry files, some of which where hidden. Someone like me fooling around with computer registry files is a good way to kill a computer. I just hope Bing does not come back.

As a comparison, I had to contact Norton to restore what "Justanswer" turned off. They had it turned back on in a few minutes, with NO CHARGE.

I am not happy with Microsofts attitude toward Bing, and if I had an alternative option, Microsoft Windows would be removed from my computer.

DennyV
Old 11-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #19
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

denny, what sort of programs do you use? almost every type of linux can be downloaded for free and has a windows emulator.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
denny, what sort of programs do you use? almost every type of linux can be downloaded for free and has a windows emulator.
I've got several dozen $$$$ programs on my computer. Re-installing them with Linux would be a real undertaking.

Yeah I thought of it, but just having purchased a new computer and transferring all my programs to it, don't want to go through that again.

DennyV
Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hey Denny ... didn't think anyone used Norton nowadays ... if its AV - its consistent in its ratings ... always bottom of the charts !!

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat