Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

UAV / FPV Forum to talk about UAV / FPV electric R/C flight.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)
Default "Trappy" gets slapped with a $10K fine!

This courtesy of Aero-News.net:

R/C Aircraft Pilot Fined $10,000 By The FAA

Agency Said Raphael Pirker Illegally And Recklessly Operated A UAV In Virginia

The FAA has fined the pilot of an R/C airplane, which it classifies as a UAS, $10,000 for what the agency says is the reckless and careless operation of a Ritewing Zephyr powered glider aircraft in the vicinity of the University of Virginia (UVA), Charlottesville, Virginia.

According to the FAA, the operator... whose name is Raphael Pirker but who is known as "Trappy" ... was the pilot in command of the aircraft, and that he does not "possess a Federal Aviation Administration pilot certificate."

The Order of Assessment (Docket No. 2012EA210009) charges that Trappy operated the aircraft with a camera aboard that sent real-time video to the ground; that the flight was performed for compensation; and that he operated the aircraft at altitudes of approximately 10 feet to approximately 400 feet over the University of Virginia in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

Specifically, the FAA charges that the pilot:

Operated the aircraft directly towards an individual standing on a UVA sidewalk causing the individual to take immediate evasive maneuvers so as to avoid being struck by your aircraft.
Operated the aircraft through a UVA tunnel containing moving vehicles.
Operated the aircraft under a crane.
Operated the aircraft below tree top level over a tree lined walkway.
Operated the aircraft within approximately 15 feet of a UVA statue,
Operated the aircraft within approximately 50 feet of railway tracks.
Operated the aircraft within approximately 50 feet of numerous individuals.
Operated the aircraft within approximately 20 feet of a UVA active street containing numerous pedestrians and cars.
Operated the aircraft within approximately 25 feet of numerous UVA buildings.
Operated the aircraft on at least three occasions under an elevated pedestrian walkway and above an active street.
Operated the aircraft directly towards a two story UVA building below rooftop level and made an abrupt climb in order to avoid hitting the building.
Operated the aircraft within approximately 100 feet of an active heliport at UVA.
"Additionally, in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another, you operated the above-described aircraft at altitudes between 10 and 1500 feet AGL when you failed to take precautions to prevent collision hazards with other aircraft that may have been flying within the vicinity of your aircraft," the order states.

"Trappy" has 20 days to file an appeal with the NTSB. His lawyers last week filed a motion to dismiss the case. He is believed to be the first person actually to be fined by the FAA for such a flight. The blog sUAS News reports that flights performed by the pilot and Team Blacksheep, which self-identifies as "R/C Daredevils," are the subject of "heated" debate in the R/C aircraft community.

FMI: http://team-blacksheep.com/ http://www.suasnews.com/2013/10/2547...against-trappy

(here is the video)
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 10-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Tarasdad

Club: Flying Swashbucklers
Friends: (0)

Idiots like these are why the entire model aviation community are very likely going to be extremely unhappy when the FAA finally publishes the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPR) regarding sUAS regulations.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by Tarasdad View Post
Idiots like these are why the entire model aviation community are very likely going to be extremely unhappy when the FAA finally publishes the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPR) regarding sUAS regulations.
Good Grief
Just wonder how many AMA safety codes this idiot violated???

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Club: 114th Grapevine
Friends: (2)

And so it begins....

Too many hobbies, and not enough time!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

There's always one .....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

There is also a sizable brief from his lawyers as to exactly why the FAA has no jurisdiction and no standing to levy the fines.

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The line between rc hobby & uav has been getting more blurry, and finally reached 'that point'. Those Team Blacksheep folks have been pushing their luck though. It was only a matter of time.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

INSTANT SURVEY QUESTION!

Does that video make you feel differently about the sponsors listed in the beginning?

Flite Test
Hobby King
Team Black Sheep
Immersion RC

Did that video have an effect on your opinion on those companies, positive or negative?

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 10-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Other than being a complete moron, sounds like he's pretty good pilot. LOL

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
INSTANT SURVEY QUESTION!

Does that video make you feel differently about the sponsors listed in the beginning?

Flite Test
Hobby King
Team Black Sheep
Immersion RC

I don't feel any differently about those sponsors, either way. It's not the sponsors responsibility to "enforce" RC aviation guidlines....although they should have procedures in place to monitor what and how their products are being applied to the hobby. The only way I can see a sponsor being held responsible for the actions of it's representives is through a legal action that will ultimately cost them money and negitive marketing.

Did that video have an effect on your opinion on those companies, positive or negative?
Hobby King and Team Black Sheep have had issues in the past related to application and quality...both of which have still left a "black eye" on the sport.....I've always been a little "negitive" towards both, so the vid did not change that.

I'm not that familiar with either Flite Test or Immersion RC, although I have seen guys at RC events out here sporting their icons and setting up booths at vendor shows and AMA regionals.........so I have no opinion + or -. Certainly, the stunts these "sponsored" pilots are putting on U-Tube, performing at events could be better controlled....but it's one thing to establish a protocal and enforce, and quite another to constantly stay on top of what these "sponsored" pilots are doing on their own time......even if their sponsorships are pulled, what will stop those idiots from "doing what they do" outside of putting them in jail or taking their toys away from them altogether.....lol

AMA 928214
Old 10-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

INSTANT SURVEY QUESTION!

Flite Test
Hobby King
Team Black Sheep
Immersion RC

It does give me a negative opinion of these companies. I have only had dealings with one of them, HK, and I'm not saying it will prevent me from doing business with them in the future but I have been doing more business with small US companies anyway and will likely continue to do so.

I have had a largely negative view of FPV since I first heard of it and videos like this only reinforce that.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

INSTANT SURVEY QUESTION!

Flite Test
Hobby King
Team Black Sheep
Immersion RC

There is the old saying that "any publicity is good publicity" I think this video shows the folly in that saying

Quite how much approval his sponsors have of his activities or his videos I'm not sure? But as noted earlier, these guys have been progressively getting more daring and pushing the limits. Rather than get reprimanded they get sponsored! The sponsors certainly cant wash their hands of responsibility even if they didn't specifically endorse this particular lunacy.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I didn't get to see the vid until just now. (Was on my smart phone before) All I can say is Wow! And I mean 'Wow! what nerve!'

My view of the sponsors? I have a more negative view now. I wouldn't want my company associated with that.

My view on FPV is neutral, or if anything positive, if it's done responsibly. It looks like that video was done in completely uncontrolled circumstances. I'll bet 95% or more of the vehicle drivers he buzzed know either nothing or dangerously little (The government drones are watching my every move!) about FPV and RC, and come from all walks of life, and could have reacted in any way. Could have panicked and driven off the road, distracted long enough to run a stop sign, run over a pedestrian, whatever. The plane could crash into the top of one of the buildings and the lipo catch on fire. The list is endless in an uncontrolled environment. It's a risk. Did he ask everyone it could effect if they are willing to take that risk, however small? It looks like 'Trappy' is willing to make everyone take that risk, whether they like it or not. People talk about freedom, is it freedom to have someone put that risk on you?

Sure, there are all kinds of risks in life. I just think this crosses that line.

I for one am glad the FAA is doing this. The message needs to go out. Just because you have easy access to this technology, doesn't mean you can be careless with it. I know it's cheesy coming from a comic, but I have to agree with Uncle Ben; 'with great power comes great responsibility'.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona WingNutz
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (25)

It didn't change any opinions for me. HK is HK. Team Black Sheep will be the downfall of FPV/AP if they keep this up. Flite Test is about 1 1/2 steps below TBS, they do crazy stuff, but at least they're a little safer about it. I have no idea who Immersion RC is.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

Did anyone notice that at 1.41,he actually ran into some greenery?This would seem to suggest this video is of more than 1 flight.
This idiot has absolutely no regard for anyone's safety.
It's morons like him that will kill FPV.I doubt even a $10.000 fine would teach him anything.
Personally,I couldn't be bothered with FPV.It's just one step too far IMHO.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #16
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

I don't believes that any model should be operated outside of line of sight or without the ability for direct physical interaction of the pilot. I also don't believes that its the faa's job to tell me what I can and cannot do with my model as long as there is no damage done.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 10-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I don't believes that any model should be operated outside of line of sight or without the ability for direct physical interaction of the pilot. I also don't believes that its the faa's job to tell me what I can and cannot do with my model as long as there is no damage done.
So you believe it's fine to operate an RC plane/vehicle, as long as it's in line of sight, lowover active roads to get some neat film? Until damage is done? Who should be in charge of the airspace if not the FAA?
Old 10-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
So you believe it's fine to operate an RC plane/vehicle, as long as it's in line of sight, lowover active roads to get some neat film? Until damage is done? Who should be in charge of the airspace if not the FAA?
Another issue.

Had that pilot caused an auto accident with injury, that $10,000 fine would be nothing compared to what could happen with the legal aspects of the whole thing.

Our club follows the AMA rules that absolutely prohibit flying any of our models over any area where people are present.

DennyV
Old 10-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #19
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

To me, the whole subject has nothing to do with the AMA and everything to do with common sense.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

To me, the whole subject has nothing to do with the AMA and everything to do with common sense.
Agreed.

It's interesting, those AMA rules are pretty much common sense anyhow. It's just that a few people don't have any.

DennyV
Old 10-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #21
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

i get pretty pissed off when a pilot tries to justify their right to fly around places we normally wouldn't think of fly around..busy city's,bridges,universites,statues..ect..ect.sad how arrogant these guys are...they know they're risking our hobby rights to fly by calling themselves black sheep.....when a member of a family goes bad we call them the black sheep of the family.thats who these guys are,a bunch of arrogant loser's. really ticks me off and i hope the fine sticks.

another nut takes a quad and launch off a buildings terraces,flys over NYC Manhattan and hits a building nearly missing a street pedestrian when his fpv crashed. the pedestrian took the video card and gave it to the police. the video shows this idiots face setting up,taking off and running into a glass building several times before crashing. http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ors&id=9270668
heres the news report of this IDIOT'S flight.

lets face it....$500/$700 bucks puts these fpvs with goggles,gps..ect..ect...into the hands of stupid people who lack piloting skills and common sense. the government will be place restrictions very soon on these flying toys and i just hope they don't kill fpv.

recently i tried on the goggles and would love to learn fpv flying. but not if restrictions make it a crime to have fun.

we had several pilots flying fpv with goggles and a spotter to keep track of the line of sight rule of our club,i watched a guy practice his skills the right way and he did really well. a guy with fpv located a down plane in the tall grass when the foot search returned empty handed. it took only a few minutes to located it with fpv. what a great thing to have handie for search and rescue of lost birds. glad i know who to call if i loose a parkjet.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 10-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

They actually caught and charged the NYC guy - I figured they would when they had his picture. Reckless endangerment. So he will pay too.

Mike
Old 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

I sent a link to this thread and a message and to team black sheep telling them they are real jerks for flying so irresponsibly. If you agree, hit them with a message. Maybe the community can shame them into better behavior.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

LOL! I think they've heard it all already! I wonder if they think is OK to fly RC like that if there isn't a camera strapped to the plane?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #25
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

Sounds to me the post referred to is the very same attitude those "black sheep" have taken..........maybe that's why they start their own little clubs, hang out together at their own little web sites, get banned from legitimate RC sites........and play together in locations not provided with legitimate oversite and control.............I'd be curious to know how many of them are currently AMA members in good standing........lol.....not that being an AMA member stops "black sheep" from doing what they do, but it is a way to track and expose those who feel like laws are "meant to be broken" while putting others in danger or in uncomfortable situations!

AMA 928214

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV