Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
DavidR8

Friends: (1)
Default Am I losing my mind?

I'm sitting here flying on my Phoenix4 sim with the provided DX5e TX.

I'm flying the Hobbyzone Super Cub, 3 channels.

I have the display set so I can see the controller on screen.

All trims are centred. All servos are set to normal (as in not reversed)

Standing behind the plane if I move the right stick to the left, the plane's rudder angles off to the right. Is this correct for a three channel plane?

I ask because the stick in on-screen controller display moves to the right, the opposite direction to the actual stick on the controller.

I cannot figure out how to make the direction of the two stick movements match...

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,049 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (309)

maybe you need to reverse the rudder control on your Transmitter

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
DavidR8

Default Tried that

Reversing the servos works for the elevator and throttle but has no effect on the rudder.

I'm not wrong crazy tho am I? With the plane heading away, stick to the right, rudder angles to the right, plane turns right.

If that is correct, it's no blessed wonder I'm so disoriented when I fly in the real world, I'm used to the controls being reversed...

Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
Standing behind the plane if I move the right stick to the left, the plane's rudder angles off to the right. Is this correct for a three channel plane?
Yup, FYI, your rudder is backwards. If you move your transmitters "Rudder" stick on a three channel rudder/elevator/throttle transmitter to the "Left", then the rear most part of your rudder must also move to the "Left". That would cause the digital model to bank to the left for a left turn.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The supercub's rudder may be set to the aileron channel. Try reversing that. It's a popular thing to do on 3 channel planes so your primary turning control will still be the right hand stick, even though it's the rudder.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
DavidR8

Default Hooray!

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yup, FYI, your rudder is backwards. If you move your transmitters "Rudder" stick on a three channel rudder/elevator/throttle transmitter to the "Left", then the rear most part of your rudder must also move to the "Left". That would cause the digital model to bank to the left for a left turn.
I'm not crazy!!! Thanks Denny and Chellie

I figured out how to reverse the rudder in three channel model in Phoenix as well.

I held the right stick all the way left and then moved the servo reversing switch into reverse mode. The stick in the onscreen display immediately changed sides. I let the stick centre and then switched the servo back to normal.

Presto, fixed. Just did a few laps and wow, that makes a heck of a lot more sense.

I've probably put in 100 hrs on the sim with the rudder working the wrong way and less than 30 mins in the real world with it working right. No wonder my reactions in the real world get me into trouble so much.

Crickey, and here I thought I was some kind of idjit...

Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Forgive me for saying this .... but that sounds very strange ...

It sounds like you may have uncovered a hidden way to affect Phoenix settings ? Many programs have back-door tweaks that are hidden ...

Does Phoenix not have a Calibration and Mapping routine where sticks / buttons etc. are calibrated / set-up so Tx and screen / sim model are in co-ordination ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
DavidR8

Default That's what I did

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Forgive me for saying this .... but that sounds very strange ...

It sounds like you may have uncovered a hidden way to affect Phoenix settings ? Many programs have back-door tweaks that are hidden ...

Does Phoenix not have a Calibration and Mapping routine where sticks / buttons etc. are calibrated / set-up so Tx and screen / sim model are in co-ordination ?

Nigel
There is a full calibration process which I did countless times prior to what eventually worked, I also tried every TX calibration setting I could find. I assigned the rudder to each of the four channels in the DX5 and at no time would the actual stick move in the same direction as the on-screen stick. I could reverse the throttle and elevator on the TX and on-screen without issue.

So the onscreen stick was moving correctly as was the rudder but the actual TX was the opposite; I'd push left the rudder would go right as would the onscreen stick.

As soon as I figured out how to change it, my sim flying improved 100%. Before, nine of ten times I'd push the wrong way, see the response and then correct. So I had to not only figure out right or left from the plane's perspective then I had to push the stick in the opposite direction which was completely counter-intuitive

Old 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
maxflyer

Friends: (0)

It helps to think of yourself as being in the cockpit instead of standing on the ground trying to think in reverse as an aircraft is coming towards you.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
DavidR8

Default That is my approach

I do try to imagine I'm in the plane. If I'm flying flat and level, I need to bank right to make a right turn. If the plane only has rudder and elevator control I would move the stick to the right.

On my sim it was the opposite: in the above scenario I had to push the stick to the left to bank to the right.

This caused me to set up a mental model that had me pushing the stick toward the wing that I wanted to rise as compared to in the direction I wanted to bank. Having the sim reversed didn't help develop any kind of 'memory' for the correct movements.

Like I said, because I have so much more sim time than actual flying time this was was really causing me grief when I tried to actually fly.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #11
DavidR8

Talking Hurray!!!!!

My new Castle Creations Talon ESC should be here on Friday. That is at least according to the package tracking info.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
My new Castle Creations Talon ESC should be here on Friday. That is at least according to the package tracking info.
If CC is still doing it, they have been offering a free USB programming dongle coupon enclosed in the box with your new ESC. This will allow you to program your ESC quickly, and also allow access to the ESC's data recording features.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
DavidR8

Default Am I losing my mind?

I put my Cub back together today. I have to say that the Castle Creation ESC is a nice piece of work, very nicely put together. I'll be sending off for the programming card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions