Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Karnsy

Friends: (0)
Default Need Help With New Airfield p51 1100mm Mustang

Just picked a new Airfield p51 1100mm Mustang. Trying to figure how the battery is supposed to go ? Does it go in the middle of the cockpit area? There is some Velcro stuck on the bottom towards the back and servos is that for the battery or the receiver ? Trying to figure how to secure battery so it does not slide around. Can anyone help by telling how you have your set up for proper cg? Any pictures. Thank you !!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Karnsy View Post
Just picked a new Airfield p51 1100mm Mustang. Trying to figure how the battery is supposed to go ? Does it go in the middle of the cockpit area? There is some Velcro stuck on the bottom towards the back and servos is that for the battery or the receiver ? Trying to figure how to secure battery so it does not slide around. Can anyone help by telling how you have your set up for proper cg? Any pictures. Thank you !!
Is this a "Foamie" model?

What needs to be done is to first install everything except the battery in the model. That would be the motor/esc/receiver/servos/landing gear, everything.

Then place the model on a cg balance system and place your battery on TOP of the fuse, moving it back and forth until the model balances at the specified cg point.

Now, you've got an indication on where that battery has to go, inside the model. So, stuff the battery inside, with temporary bits of foam rubber or what ever at roughly the same location as before.

Once you've got the battery location identified, its time to properly secure it for flight duty. Velcro works well in this type of application. But Velcro doesn't adhere well to foam. What I've done is epoxy a thin sheet of lite plywood to the foam. That thin lite ply should be the same width as your battery, and three or four inches longer than the battery, if there is room. Then cover the area where the Velcro for the battery is going with a very thin layer of yellow glue. Let the yellow glue dry overnight. The yellow carpenter glue provides a very solid surface for the Velcro to stick to. Without the yellow glue, that Velcro can let loose, causing all sorts of problems while trying to remove your battery. Then put a piece of Velcro on the thin ply, and secure the battery to that Velcro.

You don't need a lot of Velcro for this purpose. A long piece on the sheet of lite plywood. And a couple of pieces about 3/4 inch wide under the battery.

And, be sure to mark the proper battery location with a marker pen!

Hope that helps.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,049 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (309)

Like Denny says, make a wood battery tray, might want to glue some blocks of bass wood to the foam, then screw the tray to that, that will allow you to remove the tray if you need to get to the electronics, use velcro straps, also, you might want to give your plane about 3 degrees of down thrust, people are having a issue with that plane and the durafly plane wanting to pitch up under power.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

I read that when the canopy hatch is put on it locks the battery in place and the CG is good if you use the recommended battery size. My FMS p 51 is the same idea it slides into the hole and the canopy keeps it in place. Took a few flights for me to trust it, but it does work. One guy got brave and cut the forward part of the top fuse and made a battery tray.
Look at post#299 and you can see what I mean.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...518340&page=20
Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Nice setup Chellie, but it won't work for this plane just a hole that you slide the battery into.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,049 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (309)

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Nice setup Chellie, but it won't work for this plane just a hole that you slide the battery into.
Thank goodness you came along gramps i thought i would throw some general battery mounting ideas out there, take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Karnsy

Friends: (0)
Default Figured It Out

Thanks for all the help.. I have since learned where things have/can go.
Sometimes it just takes me a bit. Now to finish it and get airborne !
Thanks again
Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Karnsy glad you have it figured out. From what I have read about this plane it is a great flyer you should have a blast with it.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

DO NOT PUT IN FULL SIZED VELCRO HOLDDOWNS.

I found out the hard way how difficult it can be to remove a battery in a small compartment. Better to do 1" X 1" pieces every 2". That holds great. But allows easy lift outs as each piece is pulled loose one at a time.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
DO NOT PUT IN FULL SIZED VELCRO HOLDDOWNS.

I found out the hard way how difficult it can be to remove a battery in a small compartment. Better to do 1" X 1" pieces every 2". That holds great. But allows easy lift outs as each piece is pulled loose one at a time.
Yeah, been there, done that. And trying to remove a battery with a full length of Velcro under it can be a real .

Also, for the Velcro that is stuck inside the fuse, be sure to pre-coat the balsa or plywood sheet first with a thin layer of plain old yellow carpenter glue. Otherwise, that Fuselage Velcro can come partly loose, and make it just about impossible to get the battery out. In a tight battery compartment, you will learn new cuss words! (Don't ask!)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics